+ Reply to Thread

Reload Thread: Melted Fuse Holder?

oTurtlez is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Melted Fuse Holder?

So I went to add a second run of 1/0 to the back for my new battery install, and when I took off the cover to my fuse holder in order to remove the fuse, it appears that the side closest to the battery got hot enough to melt through the fuse holder. It was mounted to the top of my battery box, so it couldn't have gotten that hot there, the 300A fuse didn't pop, so I doubt it was a short, regardless, it was a covered fuse holder zip tied to a plastic battery box, nothing to short to. The other side was completely fine, so I'm stumped. Ideas?

EDIT: Wire is Audiotechnix 1/0 OFC and fuse holder was the clear Audiotechnix one.

Speakers:
    Subs: Custom RE MX Neo 12"
    Mids & Highs: CDT Audio CL-6ED 6.5" & TV-25 Tweets
    Amps:
    Lows: Crescendo BC3500D
    Mids & Highs: CT Sounds 125.4

keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)

Re: Melted Fuse Holder?

loose connections cause resistance which causes heat (because resistance is a load). melted fuse holders are usually a result of connection resistance. solution: clean terminals and surfaces to minimize resistance.

have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

My 2014 Accord build log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?6722-KHA-2014-Accord-Sport-SQ-Factory-Integration
    ***My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkYUo2EShW9lgtrfXiDvLNQ/videos
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html

3. Likes bbeljefe liked this post
    bbeljefe is online now Supporting Vendor bbeljefe is a Supporting Member of the forum!

bbeljefe is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Not much I can add to kha's post, except that it could be a fuse problem as well. It's very unlikely but fuses can become burnt but not opened and that can cause a point of resistance, so if your connections were tight at the fuse holder and the crimp/solder connection was clean, I would change the fuse or, at least, check it with a multimeter.

Also, if you crimped the lugs with a percussion style crimper, pliers or if they're the set screw style, there's a good chance that they're corroded inside even though they may look fine.

Owner, Audio Anarchy, LLC
    2915 Youree Drive, Shreveport, LA
    318-780-6149

Authorized Dealer in NW Louisiana for CT Sounds & Execution Audio. We also carry other products but you really don't want that stuff... ;-)

oTurtlez is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Im betting that is was a loose connection battery side. I tightened it all back up again and ill have to watch it for now. All lugs were soldered on, just must not have tightened as much as I thought when I was installing. Thanks guys!

Speakers:
    Subs: Custom RE MX Neo 12"
    Mids & Highs: CDT Audio CL-6ED 6.5" & TV-25 Tweets
    Amps:
    Lows: Crescendo BC3500D
    Mids & Highs: CT Sounds 125.4

+ Reply to Thread