+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Help With Finding My Problem??

scotty3x3 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

Help With Finding My Problem??

Hey guys. Got a pretty basic install in my 2013 Elantra.

Kenwood DNX890HD
    Alpine Class D 450 Watt RMS Mono Amp
    Alpine Class D 400 Watt RMS 4 Channel Amp
    12" Memphis Audio Sub (300-600 Watt RMS)
    1 Farad Rockford Fosgate Cap
    Clarion 3 channel Crossover Network
    0 Gauge Wiring from Battery to Cap, 4 Gauge from Cap to distribution block, 4 gauge to both amps - grounded to rear seat mounting bolt.

Yesterday I noticed the battery light on in the car for about 2 minutes then I parked and went into a business... came back out and the light was off... didn't see it again until later. Later comes on my way to dinner, all sound cuts out but radio is still on with nav running normally. LED lights in cluster start coming on, lights start to dim and I lost power steering. Pulled over to the side of the road and called for help.

Pops got there, jumped the car, removed the fuse from the power wire and the car has been fine ever since. Started right up after dinner, started right up this morning. Is the alternator just not strong enough for what I have? This is really not anything extravagant.

I'm going to take it apart this weekend to try to troubleshoot. Any possible ideas would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

djulz93 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

Re: Help With Finding My Problem??

You should check your voltage. To me it sounds like you're straining the electrical.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by djulz93 View Post
    You should check your voltage. To me it sounds like you're straining the electrical.
    This has pretty much been the consensus of everyone I have talked to about this. I will connect everything back up tonight test the voltage. If I'm reading 11-12 with the system playing, I will know that could be the problem.

The question I have is how to rectify this problem. My system is not that large and I don't want to have to downgrade if I don't have to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

Do you plan on upgrading in the future? And my guess would be the battery is bad, or maybe even the alternator (don't quote me though, because I'm the furthest thing from an expert in this field haha).

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

Do you plan on upgrading in the future? And my guess would be the battery is bad, or maybe even the alternator (don't quote me though, because I'm the furthest thing from an expert in this field haha).
    The sound I get now is what I see myself sticking with. I don't want insane SPL or anything like that. And while it's not 'impossible' for either the battery or alternator to be bad, the car is barely a month old. I bought it brand new from the dealer a little over a month ago. So it if they are bad, no big deal, I'll have them repaired, but I would like to know some things I can troubleshoot before I just take it to the dealer and they say my audio install caused a failure.

jrdnhsnbrg is offline Pimped my grandma's ride

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    651 Post(s)

Take your car to autozone and have them do an alt and battery test.

01 Lincoln Continental - Mary

XFL 12" on a VFL150.1, 4.5 cubes net @27Hz
    Powerware 150ah monster, SHCA 1/0 & 8ga
    Pioneer D Series 6.5" and 6x8" on a VFL150.4

References: mylows10, 2000LaDe , VWGolfMKVI, Garcia915, UnderFire, joeybutts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beatin' View Post
    You HAVE to look.

If after 5 wipes you're still getting mega shit on the paper, it's shower time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

^ what he said. And the reason I asked if you planned on upgrading was because you can upgrade the electrical (better battery or h/o alt), but that would be the expensive route if you don't plan on going past 1k.

Freeman is offline I TrY

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)

why do u have a cap?

1986 Nissan hardbody
    Hu:Kenwood Kmm-100u
    front:1 Cheep Kenwood speaker.
    Rear:the 3in of room behind my seat where my amp sits
    Sub:soon
    Amp:polk pa330
    Wiring:1/0 knu kca to 4gauge distribution block and 1/0 kca big 3

argenis69 is offline SQ Bass Lover

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    237 Post(s)

I will do a complete test on the battery and alternator. That light only turns on when one of those 2 are with problem.

02 Nissan Maxima
    HU JVC KW-AV61BT.
    Front stage Image Dynamics 6.5 CX62 V2. Rear stage O2 Audio 5 1/4in.
    Cadence Tweeters. KnuKonceptz Rcas and Wiring.
    Kicker Impulse x3i 3-way Active Electronic Crossover(disconnected for now).
    JL Audio 300/4 . Crescendo BC3500D.
    15" Fi Audio SP4 fully loaded in 3.5cu ft flared ported box.
    200 amp HO Alt. One complete +/- run of Knu Ofc 0 gauge with big 3, volt meter inside, biggest acid battery under hood, Battery Isolator. A XS Power D3100 and a Crescendo Logic F-31HP battery in trunk.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

Well, the alternator appears to be working. Last night I reconnected my power wire to my battery and played the system for a little while watching the volt output from the battery. Turned the inside air on full blast, all lights on system turned up loud and the lowest reading I got from my battery was down to 11.6 volts, but the battery light in the car did not come on. I turned the car off and went to bed. This morning the battery light was on as soon as I started the car. I checked the battery and it was still reading 11.6 volts. I drove the car on the way to work for about 6 minutes hoping the alternator would charge the battery, but when I checked, the battery still read 11.6. I disconnected the power wire again and as soon as I got in the car, the battery light was off. I drove to work and checked the battery when I got there and it was reading 14.2 again. I don't think the battery is bad or the alternator since it charged back up without the system. I just need to find out why this relatively small system is pulling so much from my battery.

mylows10 is online now Dc,tantric,singer,phd rep mylows10 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

mylows10 is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5060 Post(s)

Dump the cap. This maybe the cause. Get a big 3 kit instead $45 the amps your running shouldn't be causing this. Not enough power. Also check to make sure you have good grounds as well

pioneer avhx 5500 dvd, gzpa 1.4000 x 2
    ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 03 Mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

The first thing that comes to my mind is that while the alternator can charge the battery, it isn't built to power anything much more than stock equipment. What was your reason to install a cap though? Because I've been told by various people they really don't do anything beneficial unless it's the really high quality and your goal is spl.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mylows10 View Post
    Dump the cap. This maybe the cause. Get a big 3 kit instead $45 the amps your running shouldn't be causing this. Not enough power. Also check to make sure you have good grounds as well
    I have read about the big three upgrade. My question is does this upgrade void my warranty?? The only reason I bought this car was the 5/10 year warranty. I don't want to have a problem with my alternator or something and take it to them to turn around and blame the wiring change I made. Can you suggest a kit for me? link

The first thing that comes to my mind is that while the alternator can charge the battery, it isn't built to power anything much more than stock equipment. What was your reason to install a cap though? Because I've been told by various people they really don't do anything beneficial unless it's the really high quality and your goal is spl.
    This system was in my previous car and I've had the cap for roughly 3 1/2 years. Back then, caps were an accepted solution to lights dimming with bass hits. I bought the cap, put it in and it fixed the issue. I've had it in 2 different cars since then and never had this issue.

mylows10 is online now Dc,tantric,singer,phd rep mylows10 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

mylows10 is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5060 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by scotty3x3 View Post
    I have read about the big three upgrade. My question is does this upgrade void my warranty?? The only reason I bought this car was the 5/10 year warranty. I don't want to have a problem with my alternator or something and take it to them to turn around and blame the wiring change I made. Can you suggest a kit for me? link

This system was in my previous car and I've had the cap for roughly 3 1/2 years. Back then, caps were an accepted solution to lights dimming with bass hits. I bought the cap, put it in and it fixed the issue. I've had it in 2 different cars since then and never had this issue.
    Shouldn't void any warranty. Your just adding more and larger wire not removing anything. I have kits ready to bolt on

pioneer avhx 5500 dvd, gzpa 1.4000 x 2
    ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 03 Mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mylows10 View Post
    Shouldn't void any warranty. Your just adding more and larger wire not removing anything. I have kits ready to bolt on
    Checking your site, I don't see any Big 3 upgrade kits... just subs, amps and accessories like shirts and hats.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast