+ Reply to Thread

Reload Thread: can I use my pioneer crossover with Crescendo PWX 6.5's and pioneer tweeters ?

iKilledChewbaca is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon32 can I use my pioneer crossover with Crescendo PWX 6.5's and pioneer tweeters ?

Hello everyone, I am not going to lie....I am a complete new when it comes to speaker compatibility and other various things pertaining to car audio. I currently have the extremely cheap and very lackluster "Pioneer TS-A1605C". I absolutely hate the midrange woofer...but I really enjoy the tweeters that came with the component set. I just purchased 2 of the Crescendo PWX 6.5's and they should be here in about a week. Can I keep the crossover and tweeters from my pioneer component set and just change out the woofer with the PWX's ? My current setup in my car if that will help answer the question; AMPLIFIER(S)Sound Ordnance™ M-4075 (75x4 @ 4ohms, 120x4 @ 2ohms RMS). Kicker 250.1 (for sub's). Rear door speakers:infinity kappa coaxials. HEADUNIT : Pioneer AVH-4500 (double din).

Will I be able to do this ? If not, what will I need to buy to be able to do this ? I want to keep my rear doors amplified btw

Slobalt is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: can I use my pioneer crossover with Crescendo PWX 6.5's and pioneer tweeters ?

Are the pwx's 4 ohm or 8 ohm? Yes you can do this, will it sounds good or not is a different story.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: can I use my pioneer crossover with Crescendo PWX 6.5's and pioneer tweeters ?

The pwx's are the 4 Ohm version. What would be a different way to get this set up ? Could I add a new set of wires right before the crossover and keep the tweeters connected to the crossover and then just use the eq setting on my amp/head unit for the midranges not connected to the crossover ? I hope that makes sense haha

CrossoverOre is online now CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

you could run the tweets through the crossover and just run the pwx's full range (not through the crossover)

cfox10 is offline Rock the house.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CrossoverOre View Post
    you could run the tweets through the crossover and just run the pwx's full range (not through the crossover)
    Wouldn't sound good at all. That wouldn't create a flat response. Do you know the crossover points?

Any option of running active?

pickup1 is offline Audiosystem,Dynaudio...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Simple was is just to pull the pioneer, install others and enjoy.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How will I know if I can run active ? sorry...like I said I am new to this. I posted my audio equipment in the first post if that helps answer the quesiton.

mlstrass is offline Shaggy DOA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

try it and see how it sounds. Pio xover is probably only a LPF for the mid and HPF for the tweeter. Might need to set a HPF on the HU or amp for the mids...

bbeljefe is online now Supporting Vendor bbeljefe is a Supporting Member of the forum!

bbeljefe is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

↑ What he said. Try it and see. Electrons can't read the printing on the plastic box the crossover is wrapped in so the Crescendo mids won't even know they're behind a Pioneer crossover. ;-)

And try running them in full range off the crossover as well... then stick with what you like the best. Also, it would be a good idea to set the high pass filter on the amp at ~80 Hz... especially if you're going to be bypassing the crossover for the mid bass drivers.

And now for a few questions...

What exactly is it that you didn't like about the Pioneer mids?

Are your doors properly deadened? If not, what leads you to believe the new mid bass drivers will perform any better in poor enclosures than the old ones? If so, why not try bypassing the crossovers with the drivers you already had?

There is a ton more to consider about sound quality than just a speaker. The enclosure it's in makes a difference, the location in the listening area makes a difference, the amplifier makes a difference, the amplifier settings make a difference.... and on, and on, and on it goes.

Not trying to discourage you either... I'm just trying to alert you to the fact that you could buy the most expensive SQ speakers available and if you put them in the wrong environment, they'll sound like crap. Likewise, a set of lackluster drivers can be made to sound pretty **** good in the right environment.

Owner, Audio Anarchy, LLC
    2915 Youree Drive, Shreveport, LA
    318-780-6149

Authorized Dealer in NW Louisiana for CT Sounds & Execution Audio. We also carry other products but you really don't want that stuff... ;-)

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes, I have fully deadened doors, trunk, wheel wells, dampening carpet on the floors, etc, etc, all with stinger roadkill...2 layers on the doors and trunk.

What I didnt like the pioneer speakers were that they were $50 and I know price isnt everything...but in this case they were. I had better mid bass with my factory pioneer speakers.

I will try and run active and I guess let you all know how it goes.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Okay, after quite a bit of thought...I have decided to get a new pair of tweeters! I will be running the rear speakers with my headunits power and plugging my 4 channel to my two front midrages and 2 front tweeters (when I pick out which tweeters I would like). I know asking the following question is going to probably get me a lot of ****...but....I have about $150 in amazon gift card credit ready to blow...what would be the best tweeters in the following price range; $1-$50, $51-$100, $101-$150. I sadly do not have the resources around where I live to go to a place and listen to various different speakers/tweeters is why I'm asking. I really like a well rounded type of high frequency. I think metal tweeters are a tad too bright (but not terribly bright, so metal tweeters are still an option). I listen to ALL types of music, literally ALL kinds. I want them to have a high fidelity feature set (able to sound like a **** studio if posble). Has anyone had any luck with the CDT TW-25 tweeters ? Or how about the CDT HD-100 ? I noticed "Dayton Audio DC28F-8" are only $20 on amazon ! Are these only for home stereo systems ? Or would they work in car audio as well ? BTW although I want a great sounding tweeter, it does has to get quite loud I imagine with my new Crescendo PWX midranges and also my two 12's. I want them loud, but not screeching loud if that makes sense.

bbeljefe is online now Supporting Vendor bbeljefe is a Supporting Member of the forum!

bbeljefe is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

If you plan to run 2 pair of tweeters with two pair of 6.5s, the Dayton 8Ω tweets would work well. You don't need a lot of power with tweets so wiring two of those to an amp channel would get you a 4Ω load for the amp. And... they're only for home audio if you use them in your home. ;-)

Owner, Audio Anarchy, LLC
    2915 Youree Drive, Shreveport, LA
    318-780-6149

Authorized Dealer in NW Louisiana for CT Sounds & Execution Audio. We also carry other products but you really don't want that stuff... ;-)

+ Reply to Thread