+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Reload Thread: Capacitors

xXnavyseal2Xx is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Capacitors

Hi I was wondering why most people say don't use capacitors in a car audio build. Can someone please explain in noob format.

Thanks,
    Have a nice day

Chriszle is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Re: Capacitors

If your running enough power to where you need to upgrade your electrical, normal capacitors do not have enough energy stored to actually help. A secondary battery provides much more energy storage. Now if you are talking about a bank of ultracapacitors, that is a different story.

argenis69 is offline SQ Bass Lover

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I'm also interested in this

02 Nissan Maxima
    HU JVC KW-AV61BT.
    Front stage Image Dynamics 6.5 CX62 V2. Rear stage O2 Audio 5 1/4in.
    Cadence Tweeters. KnuKonceptz Rcas and Wiring.
    Kicker Impulse x3i 3-way Active Electronic Crossover(disconnected for now).
    JL Audio 300/4 . Crescendo BC3500D.
    15" Fi Audio SP4 fully loaded in 3.5cu ft flared ported box.
    200 amp HO Alt. One complete +/- run of Knu Ofc 0 gauge with big 3, volt meter inside, biggest acid battery under hood, Battery Isolator. A XS Power D3100 and a Crescendo Logic F-31HP battery in trunk.

jrdnhsnbrg is offline Pimped my grandma's ride

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I think it was calculated that a decent AGM battery can store over 10,000x more electricity than a regular capacitor, and from what I've gathered your average capacitor simply delays a voltage drop, because as soon as a cap discharges it immediately wants to recharge. A battery, on the other hand, will discharge what electricity is needed then will recharge when the alternator (or other power source) charges it. I'm not 100% sure, though.

01 Lincoln Continental - Mary

XFL 12" on a VFL150.1, 4.5 cubes net @27Hz
    Powerware 150ah monster, SHCA 1/0 & 8ga
    Pioneer D Series 6.5" and 6x8" on a VFL150.4

References: mylows10, 2000LaDe , VWGolfMKVI, Garcia915, UnderFire, joeybutts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beatin' View Post
    You HAVE to look.

If after 5 wipes you're still getting mega shit on the paper, it's shower time.

bubbagumper6 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jrdnhsnbrg View Post
    I think it was calculated that a decent AGM battery can store over 10,000x more electricity than a regular capacitor, and from what I've gathered your average capacitor simply delays a voltage drop, because as soon as a cap discharges it immediately wants to recharge. A battery, on the other hand, will discharge what electricity is needed then will recharge when the alternator (or other power source) charges it. I'm not 100% sure, though.
    Both a capacitor and a battery will present a load on the alternator as soon as their resting voltage drops below the alt's charging voltage. The difference being capacitors will discharge much MUCH faster than batteries but can hold far less total energy so if the demand is significant the cap will completely discharge before the demand is satisfied. Batteries on the other hand discharge much slower so there will be a more significant delay between when the demand starts and when the battery actually begins supplying current. However batteries hold vast amounts of energy so they can handle much larger demands for longer periods of time. Both need recharged in the end however.

The main reason capacitors aren't used in the car audio world is because they simply do not hold enough energy to make a difference at the high current levels most systems run at. It would be like trying to supplement a fire hose with a 2 liter bottle of water connected to it...

6. Likes Freeman, ciaonzo, jrdnhsnbrg liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Ah I see, thanks for the correction. I like the metaphor, too

You HAVE to look.

Jroo is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Caps get a bad rap. If you have electrical problems, a cap is not going to help you. You need to look at things like wire, battery, and alts. I have used and will continue to use caps, but I look at them as a filter for noise. They have a small benefit on my sub amps, but mainly use it filter out noise.

Full Tilt is offline Bonafide MAFer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jroo View Post
    Caps get a bad rap. If you have electrical problems, a cap is not going to help you. You need to look at things like wire, battery, and alts. I have used and will continue to use caps, but I look at them as a filter for noise. They have a small benefit on my sub amps, but mainly use it filter out noise.
    And how, exactly, does it do that?

Quote Originally Posted by T.I.K. View Post
    Careful, by those definitions Spider Monkey is a contributing member, I don't think he even knows what a subwoofer is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Truman View Post
    Thanks quackhead. Your the only person who agrees with me. Jesus Christ I have like 40 post and I've been called a ******* like 37 times

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Full Tilt View Post
    I've actually heard of this working, I saw a YouTube video of someone who hooked up an o-scope somehow to his car's electrical system so you could see the amount of noise throughout the system with and without the cap hooked up. The cap made a big difference.

You HAVE to look.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Capacitors will act as a ripple filter when connected in parallel to a DC power source...basic electrical

However that is just about the ONLY thing common car audio caps are good for and any decent amplifier will have it's own internal ripple filter caps so it's kind of a moot point

Full Tilt is offline Bonafide MAFer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bubbagumper6 View Post
    Capacitors will act as a ripple filter when connected in parallel to a DC power source...basic electrical

However that is just about the ONLY thing common car audio caps are good for and any decent amplifier will have it's own internal ripple filter caps so it's kind of a moot point
    I was asking more along the lines of how it does so.

Quote Originally Posted by T.I.K. View Post
    Careful, by those definitions Spider Monkey is a contributing member, I don't think he even knows what a subwoofer is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Truman View Post
    Thanks quackhead. Your the only person who agrees with me. Jesus Christ I have like 40 post and I've been called a ******* like 37 times

ciaonzo is offline TheContinental

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bubbagumper6 View Post
    Both a capacitor and a battery will present a load on the alternator as soon as their resting voltage drops below the alt's charging voltage. The difference being capacitors will discharge much MUCH faster than batteries but can hold far less total energy so if the demand is significant the cap will completely discharge before the demand is satisfied. Batteries on the other hand discharge much slower so there will be a more significant delay between when the demand starts and when the battery actually begins supplying current. However batteries hold vast amounts of energy so they can handle much larger demands for longer periods of time. Both need recharged in the end however.

The main reason capacitors aren't used in the car audio world is because they simply do not hold enough energy to make a difference at the high current levels most systems run at. It would be like trying to supplement a fire hose with a 2 liter bottle of water connected to it...
    Nice job, bro.

Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    Saying "clipping doesn't kill speakers" is a half-truth at best. Technically no, clipping itself does not hurt the speaker. But in clipping your amp, you can easily create a situation that WILL kill the speaker. Was the squared waveform the DIRECT cause of the failure? No. In the end, the answer is, always has been, and can only be... heat kills speakers. BUT, clipping increases heat generation, sometimes by a drastic amount. So to start a thread simply to state that clipping does not hurt speakers is, again, a half-truth at best.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

I was asking more along the lines of how it does so.
    Oh sorry, I misunderstood your tone...

If the DC voltage level isn't constant (i.e. has noise or ripples) the capacitor can charge/discharge so quickly it smooths out any dips or peaks in the waveform. Basically when the voltage dips the capacitor can supply current to keep the actual output voltage stable, likewise when it peaks the capacitor absorbs the excess energy. Now this is all relative to the specs of the capacitor and how much actual capacitance it has.

15. Thanks Full Tilt thanked for this post
    Likes jrdnhsnbrg liked this post
    CrossoverOre is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i personally use caps all the time but in more moderate systems and not the high spl types that a lot of guys on here like to build. mainly I use them as supplement power when using 4 ch amps and sub amps. When some setups with multiple amps and especially when somewhat powerful sub amps are used and 4ch are used for the mid range the 4ch amp will suffer greatly from power being robbed by the sub amp. Caps clear up the mud from the 4ch by supplying juice when bass notes hit. Keep in mind this is also reffering to everyday listening music and not "HOW LOUD ARE MY SUBS RIGHT NOW!!"

17. Dislikes robert420 disliked this post
    hispls is online now CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CrossoverOre View Post
    i personally use caps all the time but in more moderate systems and not the high spl types that a lot of guys on here like to build. mainly I use them as supplement power when using 4 ch amps and sub amps. When some setups with multiple amps and especially when somewhat powerful sub amps are used and 4ch are used for the mid range the 4ch amp will suffer greatly from power being robbed by the sub amp. Caps clear up the mud from the 4ch by supplying juice when bass notes hit. Keep in mind this is also reffering to everyday listening music and not "HOW LOUD ARE MY SUBS RIGHT NOW!!"
    Do this little experiment. Play your amps at the level where you think the caps are helping and then unplug the battery and see how long those caps actually feed the amps.

19. Likes jrdnhsnbrg, jeffdachef liked this post
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast