+ Reply to Thread

Reload Thread: Diehard Platinum AGM at 12.4

Max_Power is offline ^ From a Hairdryer ^

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Diehard Platinum AGM at 12.4

I have a 1 1/2 year old group 65 diehard platinum that is giving me problems. Over the past weekend I put it on a "smart charger" @ 2 amps. The charger is supposed to charge and then float depending on the battery condition.

Over 2 different charging sessions, it gave me an error of "battery will not accept charge after 18 hours" and "battery has open cell".

I checked the resting voltage today and read 12.4 which to me is NOT fully charged. I took it back to sears and they checked it, charged it and it said good battery but still rests at 12.4.

I have a DC power alternator and when running, my car when warm will only charge at 13.8 volts.

Am I missing something here?

References: (Sold To) - Blackbonnie, Ridinhi, BigEM (Bought From) - 95BlackGA, jonnybusa, 2002XLT, IamDeMan, kasimo420, SPL140.2, sundownz
    MY REF PAGE

Car: 1993 Ford Crown Vic LX
    HU: Panasonic CQ-C700U
    Speaker Amp: Audiopipe AP2002
    Sub Amp: Audiopipe AP18001
    Sub: 15" Kicker L7
    Box: 5.5 cu.ft. @ 35Hz w/ 68sq.in. of port
    Front Speakers: Alpine Type R 5x7
    Wiring: 1/0 Knu Wire, 4ga Stinger Wire, Knu Distribution Blocks, 1/0 Knu "Big Three", Fosgate RCAs
    Accesories: AudioControl Epicenter

gckless is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Re: Diehard Platinum AGM at 12.4

Yes. The warranty. Take it back and exchange it.

Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2566-1999-Chevrolet-Blazer&highlight=1999+blazer

3. Likes hispls liked this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is where the problem lies. I took it back to sears expecting an exchange, but they put my battery on their diagnostic/charger machine which said my battery was "good". Got it back to my car, checked it again even with a surface charge it said 12.4 Volts.

They would not give me a replacement.

References: (Sold To) - Blackbonnie, Ridinhi, BigEM (Bought From) - 95BlackGA, jonnybusa, 2002XLT, IamDeMan, kasimo420, SPL140.2, sundownz
    MY REF PAGE

Wiring: 1/0 Knu Wire, 4ga Stinger Wire, Knu Distribution Blocks, 1/0 Knu "Big Three", Fosgate RCAs

hispls is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Power View Post
    This is where the problem lies. I took it back to sears expecting an exchange, but they put my battery on their diagnostic/charger machine which said my battery was "good". Got it back to my car, checked it again even with a surface charge it said 12.4 Volts.

They would not give me a replacement.
    If it load tests good it is good. A car battery is designed with six 2.1V cells in it. So the target is resting voltage of 12.6, and they should be charged at no more than 14.4V. If you are only charging at 13.8 than it has to do with your voltage regulator and not a faulty battery.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I guess I wasn't being clear. These are 2 different issues. and the battery will only rest at 12.4 despite being on a charger for an entire weekend.

The charging problem I assumed was due to a regulator in the car or alternator itself. I would like to know why its put there instead of the 14.4 we are all trying to achieve.

But my problem with the battery is unrelated to the alternator, at least I think so. 12.6 is a fully charged battery. I have other batteries that sit on 12.9 and 12.8 regularly. I paid $230 for this battery, why can't I get full performance out of it, or charge it.

Am I asking too much? with the car running and without accessories on, I would like to see a solid 14 volts or higher. with the car off I would like to see 12.8 volts like almost every other battery I have.

MY REF PAGE

+ Reply to Thread