+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: please halp with pop!

ahardy17 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

please halp with pop!

I just went to test and tune my system with a new alpine HU (CDA 9856) and an SSL S4EQ, 4 band EQ. So I have 2 channel rca's running between the 2 and then 6 channels running out to my pdx-v9. The turn-on pop is literally endangering my speakers it's so ferocious...and the higher the volume on the eq is when I turn it on, the louder the pop. I just replaced my battery ground an hour, stupid thing had like 5 ohms of resistance in it. I spliced into the ignition/turn on signal for the eq, so even though both the HU and eq receive power at the same time, the HU doesn't turn on until I hit the power button. I was having this pop problem before with my sony HU and no EQ, so I thought something had gone wrong with the outputs, which were already grounded to its chassis. Would it help if I ran the remote wire from the eq to the same wire as my amp remote so it turns on slightly after the HU? I'm baffled, frustrated, and out of beer -_-

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: please halp with pop!

bumpatizing this, I tried removing the RCAs and turning on the amp, the pop is still there, only slightly evident. The higher the volume, the louder the pop. Just checked my ground, dmm indicates it's fine. I could move it to a seatbelt bolt, but that could interfere with my new box. Any suggestions?

bbeljefe is offline Premium Member bbeljefe is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Run a new ground wire from the head unit to a very good grounding location. The head unit is the signal ground source and if there is a voltage potential between that ground and the other grounds, you'll get that pop. Of course, you could also have a damaged head unit. If the new head unit ground doesn't help, then ground the RCA'a at the head unit.

Owner, Audio Anarchy, LLC
    2915 Youree Drive, Shreveport, LA
    318-780-6149

Authorized Dealer in NW Louisiana for CT Sounds & Execution Audio. We also carry other products but you really don't want that stuff... ;-)

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That was the last thing I tried, to no avail :/ Would the head unit still be able to induce that pop if the RCA's were removed on the amp side? I was running a HU with grounded RCA's before with the same problem, which came along sometime after I blew my old sub and began running my 5 channel to just 4. I'm wondering if the lack of that output channel is throwing something off? BTW all my grounds like anywhere and anything ground seems to read about an ohm, isn't that a little high? I've been upgrading grounds left and yet to see any improvement.

bbeljefe is offline Premium Member bbeljefe is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ahardy17 View Post
    That was the last thing I tried, to no avail :/ Would the head unit still be able to induce that pop if the RCA's were removed on the amp side? I was running a HU with grounded RCA's before with the same problem, which came along sometime after I blew my old sub and began running my 5 channel to just 4. I'm wondering if the lack of that output channel is throwing something off? BTW all my grounds like anywhere and anything ground seems to read about an ohm, isn't that a little high? I've been upgrading grounds left and yet to see any improvement.

Check the internal resistance of the meter you're using. It's not terribly uncommon to have almost an Ω of internal resistance.

Does this pop occur with the vehicle not running?

318-780-6149

Authorized Dealer in NW Louisiana for CT Sounds & Execution Audio. We also carry other products but you really don't want that stuff... ;-)

Timmy13091 is offline Team DC

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

This should solve it

http://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?kw=PAC+...&cmd=SREF&cid=

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bbeljefe View Post
    Check the internal resistance of the meter you're using. It's not terribly uncommon to have almost an Ω of internal resistance.

Does this pop occur with the vehicle not running?
    I think it has about .2 ohms internally. And yes it pops on or off, RCa's or no RCA's

I'd love to solve the problem for that low price, I just can't help but wonder what's causing it and how to eliminate it altogether.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

I think it has about .2 ohms internally. And yes it pops on or off, RCa's or no RCA's

I'd love to solve the problem for that low price, I just can't help but wonder what's causing it and how to eliminate it altogether.
    Dude I'm telling you just buy the PAC lol .. If you'd love too then do it .. You should be just fine .. They make them for a reason

Side Show is offline Bringin The Noise

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I get turn off pop, but not turn on pop...... was told that it was stored pwr in my amp releasing once the amp is turned off

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

If you've isolated the amplifier from the signal and you still get the pop, it's a problem with the amp. And buying an isolation transformer will not fix it. It sounds like you have a preamp problem inside the amplifier but to be sure I'm understanding correctly... you can disconnect all RCA cables from the amp (not from the head unit) and you still get the pop?

318-780-6149

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Side Show View Post
    I get turn off pop, but not turn on pop...... was told that it was stored pwr in my amp releasing once the amp is turned off
    You need one as well lol links up there ^ my man

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

cheers awse... so these will eliminate my turn off pop you reackon?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Side Show View Post
    cheers awse... so these will eliminate my turn off pop you reackon?
    Yes It definitely should in your situation ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

hmmmm might give it a go, I don't have any turn on pop tho, only turn off pop......... these don't seem to say anything about turn off pop

DukeNut is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

^ i have turn off pop on an amp too, put another in and no pop. weird thing is i installed the popping amp in another car and it does not pop really wish i knew why it did in 1 car and not the other

Refs:
    jshak07, photocrazy8, DARKHART, dadon, enzowho

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast