+ Reply to Thread

Reload Thread: Using battery for starting car/ matching with kinetik with an isolator

ckunke002 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Using battery for starting car/ matching with kinetik with an isolator

I already have a kinetik 1400 which has been using as a starter battery along with powering 800w between 2 amps and has worked pretty well. If i upgraded to about 1400w between 2 amps would it be a better idea to get a dedicated starter battery then throw the kinetik in the back, or would I still be sittin alright with only the 1400 up front? If i need a new starter battery, would i need a deep cycle one or just a starter with a isolator? Should i upgrade my 4 gauge to 0? Thanks for any thoughts!

robertoyoung08 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Using battery for starting car/ matching with kinetik with an isolator

you can try it out with out any extra batteries and see how it does.

when you get batteries however, make sure they are both the same type. since you already have a kinetic, make sure your next one is AGM as well.
    a lot of people say to make sure both batteries are exactly the same. a lot of people run different brands however and don't have any problems . (I cant give you my personal opinion since I mixed batteries and just recently have been having electrical issues and have yet to determine if its because I mixed brands). isolator will definitely help however.

0 gauge would also help for better current flow. but like I mentioned, you can try the new amps with your existing equipment and see how it runs. measure your voltage when everything and running and check to make sure everything is on par.

2005 Lexus GS300
    -DC Power XP 270 H/O Alternator, Big 3, Kinetik HC2400, XS D680 in trunk
    -Stock NAV unit w/ RF 3sixty.3
    -JL HD 1200/1
    -JL HD 600/4
    -Hybrid Audio Clarus front stage; Diamond D6 rear fill
    -2x 10" Ascendant Audio Chaos in 4th order.

Nutdawg651 is online now CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robertoyoung08 View Post
    you can try it out with out any extra batteries and see how it does.

when you get batteries however, make sure they are both the same type. since you already have a kinetic, make sure your next one is AGM as well.
    a lot of people say to make sure both batteries are exactly the same. a lot of people run different brands however and don't have any problems . (I cant give you my personal opinion since I mixed batteries and just recently have been having electrical issues and have yet to determine if its because I mixed brands). isolator will definitely help however.

0 gauge would also help for better current flow. but like I mentioned, you can try the new amps with your existing equipment and see how it runs. measure your voltage when everything and running and check to make sure everything is on par.
    build boxes?

Side Show is offline Bringin The Noise

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

i'd put it in and see if it needs upgrading or a second batt, if your light dim at night when crackin ya stezza you'll need to upgrade your electrical

CrossoverOre is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ckunke002 View Post
    I already have a kinetik 1400 which has been using as a starter battery along with powering 800w between 2 amps and has worked pretty well. If i upgraded to about 1400w between 2 amps would it be a better idea to get a dedicated starter battery then throw the kinetik in the back, or would I still be sittin alright with only the 1400 up front? If i need a new starter battery, would i need a deep cycle one or just a starter with a isolator? Should i upgrade my 4 gauge to 0? Thanks for any thoughts!
    no **** someone else here from oregon. I would possibly contemplate just trying it and see where you are at. if you havent done the big 3 do that for sure. for the price you can pick up some 0 ga these days I would probably upgrade that too. but if you plan to add more amps or upgrade in the future again then I would do an upgraded alt if you can budget it before the second batt.

ckunke002 is offline Senior VIP Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Oregon is the best man.. if you can get past the rain hahah. Already done the big 3.. i was looking at 0 gauge and was wondering about how much i might need.. it's hard to know and i don't wanna buy way too much. And the question of cca vs ofc...

CrossoverOre is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

at least you live in the valley on the coast we get crazy weather. check out sky high cables for power wire. should be alright with cca. and with the pricing on the sky high cable you should be able to pick up 2 50' rolls pretty cheap and not have to worry about how long.

+ Reply to Thread