Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Reload Thread: wiring question

NIHL8ION is offline RUN ur car NOT ur mouth !

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Re: wiring question

Quote Originally Posted by Doug535 View Post
    Thanks for all the info so far, it is a 92 Volvo 740 wagon, yes stock alt and batt. I came up with the 35.35vac by 1250 x 1ohm = 1250 & sq root of 1250 = 35.35. Is this wrong? My brother in law has a hifonics Brutus with 1200rms rating and a swr-10d2 sub at 1ohm and it slams pretty good, gonna do an amp swap tonight and see if it does better in his system, may help pinpoint wether its my power or the amp. I'll report back later this evening.
    If the amp swap does nothing for you, I'd try a HU swap to see if it's a signal issue...

- Cadence DCA2500.1 Running a Tantric HDD - 12" D2
    *Bought From: cx-7heaven, nutnbutcustm, naughtyca, agarabaghi, Skip01*Traded With: infamous_e46, basswiigee**Sold To: DeanG, R.S.D., livinloud!*
    Feedback Link: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/itrader.php?u=1028333

Jepalan is online now Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I came up with the 35.35vac by 1250 x 1ohm = 1250 & sq root of 1250 = 35.35. Is this wrong?
    Your calculation is correct, theoretically. But the amp is not going to be able to produce 1250 W RMS. The spec is exaggerated. In order to put 1250W into the sub, the amp would have to pull almost 120 amps from the battery (at 80% efficiency). Tell me how 120 amps are going to flow through the 80 amp fuse built into the amp?

Regardless, this is just splitting hairs - I am sure it will slam pretty good. Point was that you are never going to get 35 volts into a 1 ohm sub - lower your expectations a little. That said, I would still expect more than 13.6v. Good luck. Keep us posted on progress.

Doug535 is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NIHL8ION View Post
    If the amp swap does nothing for you, I'd try a HU swap to see if it's a signal issue...
    Think we're onto something here. Swapped my amp into his setup and BAM, it thumps just fine. I believe the HU isn't outputting enough through the RCA's. Testing in his setup we could get 50VAC easy. *****, cause I just got the HU a couple months ago. Well I'll give that a go in the next few days and report back.

Censored out s u c k s? haha
    Last edited by Doug535; 08-27-2013 at 10:36 PM. Reason: CENSOR?

Side Show is offline Bringin The Noise

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

sweet, progress!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jepalan View Post
    Your calculation is correct, theoretically. But the amp is not going to be able to produce 1250 W RMS. The spec is exaggerated. In order to put 1250W into the sub, the amp would have to pull almost 120 amps from the battery (at 80% efficiency). Tell me how 120 amps are going to flow through the 80 amp fuse built into the amp?

Regardless, this is just splitting hairs - I am sure it will slam pretty good. Point was that you are never going to get 35 volts into a 1 ohm sub - lower your expectations a little. That said, I would still expect more than 13.6v. Good luck. Keep us posted on progress.
    Ha, expectations not that high but I did expect better than 13VAC

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Think we're onto something here. Swapped my amp into his setup and BAM, it thumps just fine. I believe the HU isn't outputting enough through the RCA's. Testing in his setup we could get 50VAC easy. *****, cause I just got the HU a couple months ago. Well I'll give that a go in the next few days and report back.

Censored out s u c k s? haha
    I'm not sure I understand what you are saying above. It sounds like you swapped out the amp and it worked, but you still think the problem might be with the HU. I don't understand the logic.

Regardless, if you have been swapping RCAs on in and out, you may have blown the pico fuses in the Pioneer HU - which breaks the RCA ground connection and will kill the RCA signal level. Try grounding the RCAs to the HU chassis like shown here. Look at the HU in the background, note how the wires attach to a chassis screw...

robert420 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for all the info so far, it is a 92 Volvo 740 wagon, yes stock alt and batt. I came up with the 35.35vac by 1250 x 1ohm = 1250 & sq root of 1250 = 35.35. Is this wrong? My brother in law has a hifonics Brutus with 1200rms rating and a swr-10d2 sub at 1ohm and it slams pretty good, gonna do an amp swap tonight and see if it does better in his system, may help pinpoint wether its my power or the amp. I'll report back later this evening.
    random, i know. but how much are you looking to get for that Volvo?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jepalan View Post
    I'm not sure I understand what you are saying above. It sounds like you swapped out the amp and it worked, but you still think the problem might be with the HU. I don't understand the logic.

Regardless, if you have been swapping RCAs on in and out, you may have blown the pico fuses in the Pioneer HU - which breaks the RCA ground connection and will kill the RCA signal level. Try grounding the RCAs to the HU chassis like shown here. Look at the HU in the background, note how the wires attach to a chassis screw...

Did this for a horrible squeal issue when I got the HU, should have been a tip to get a different HU then.

I swapped MY amp into HIS system to eliminate it being the amp. The amp checked out ok in his system. Did voltage drop test from battery to amp, all good. Did ground resistance test and I'm @ 00.2ohm, all good there.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robert420 View Post
    random, i know. but how much are you looking to get for that Volvo?
    Not for sale, I've had her since 2001 but thanks for asking you never know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Did this for a horrible squeal issue when I got the HU, should have been a tip to get a different HU then.

I swapped MY amp into HIS system to eliminate it being the amp. The amp checked out ok in his system. Did voltage drop test from battery to amp, all good. Did ground resistance test and I'm @ 00.2ohm, all good there.
    OK, now we are getting somewhere.
    I think you already know the answer.
    Get new head unit.

jrdnhsnbrg is offline Pimped my grandma's ride

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

There's no way you're going to even THINK about getting close to 1250W RMS with stock battery, alternator and wiring in a 92 Volvo. Do the big 3 and get a good AGM battery. If you have the cash get a HO alt too.

jrdnhsnbrg is offline Pimped my grandma's ride

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Not to mention the new HU, as discussed above.

Side Show is offline Bringin The Noise

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

battery and headunit issue

jeffdachef is offline I Bass Boost Rock/Metal!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Man lots of problems due to weak/screwed up head units lately. **** companies cheaping out on headunit build quality on the lower models.

Clip city b1tch, clip clip city b1tch. 10's, 12's, 15's, goin up in flames b1tch.
    2009 Sienna 3.5L Subs : C2 threatcon 15s. Sub amp: hifonics brx 2400.1D x 2
    Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS bought used from vertex audio Mids/Highs amp: PPI Phantom 900.4 - bought from dragnix
    Front stage: 3 way active front stage with Massive Audio CKX 6x9 component. ckx 6x9 midbass in doors + DB drive pro audio 6.5 in the kick. Rear stage: Jbl ms62C(Its a van I need rear fill). Still NOT ENOUGH! SEND HELP!! 4 Pro Audio 10s in the future
    320 amp Singer alt almost installed. Just a group 31 deka in the back atm with big 3 finished.

audiobaun is offline Premium Member audiobaun is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

A dollar save is twenty earned to audio makers.they prob have 15 yr olds soldering boards 23 hrs out of the day with two pi ss breaks

2)American Bass VFL Mini Hybrid 4480.1D@1ohm Ea 4)American Bass XFL DVC 4ohm [email protected] Ft Ea.@32htz CDT 6,5 HD6 Briax.,CDT CL60,CDT 25 tweets,Kicker KS25 tweets Autotek Mean Machine 99@2ohms,Autotek BTX 7204@40hms AlterStarts Alt 255A/Dallas,Tx,2)Orileys Super Start AGM batts(1more coming)Cadence CCA 0ga on Big 6,AudioTechnix 0ga CCA Kicker Kq9 Eq,Eclipse CD3000(lookingfor upgrade)StingerPro Distro,3)XS Scorpian 8in Scroll Fans 1998 3dr Xcab Chevy(under construction,but operational)

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast