Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Reload Thread: Battery - Alternator HELP

phemps is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Battery - Alternator HELP

Quote Originally Posted by NASTY08IMPALA View Post
    i bet if u search ur car ppl will tell u if its computer controlled ..good luck
    Mine drops voltage too.. 07 impala. but my alt gets really fuckin hot for some reason and i figured thats why it starts to charge so low. Does your alt get hot? i cant figure out why mine gets so bad, i dont have to pull much load before that thing is near 200 degrees lately. Happened with the stock one and just dropped in a 300 amp ea and same deal. After running for a bit it charges no higher than 13.7 or so and ive seen it at 13.4

Refs: Rio, DbzArson, goodstuff, Worstenemy453

Quote Originally Posted by Altec View Post
    Then obviously I am asking the wrong person, because you don't know how to hook up subs if they sounded like "****". Maybe learn your ohms and your diagrams before you call something ****. Learn to make boxes to specs and use the right wires and its called dynomat. Then maybe your car wouldn't of sounded like ****, yeah?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

didnt notice OP also said his is real hot.. I cant seem to figure this out any help looks like im in close to the same boat here as well

Then obviously I am asking the wrong person, because you don't know how to hook up subs if they sounded like "****". Maybe learn your ohms and your diagrams before you call something ****. Learn to make boxes to specs and use the right wires and its called dynomat. Then maybe your car wouldn't of sounded like ****, yeah?

NASTY08IMPALA is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by phemps View Post
    Mine drops voltage too.. 07 impala. but my alt gets really fuckin hot for some reason and i figured thats why it starts to charge so low. Does your alt get hot? i cant figure out why mine gets so bad, i dont have to pull much load before that thing is near 200 degrees lately. Happened with the stock one and just dropped in a 300 amp ea and same deal. After running for a bit it charges no higher than 13.7 or so and ive seen it at 13.4
    all alts get that hot lol ...and i charge at 15.3 so idk what 13 looks like lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

all alts get that hot lol ...and i charge at 15.3 so idk what 13 looks like lol
    I mean i could hold my hand on my last EA in my saturn no fucking way it got that hot. Its hotter than the engine very fast i dont see how that could be healthy especially with it cooling itself from just the brushes moving. Yea im kind of regretting not going external reg. right away i know ill do it eventually anyway

KTMrida4life is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Cant believe the questions people ask on here.

There is a reason the alternator came with a pulley on it, if you were supposed to swap your pulley onto it he would've told you that. It is built to withstand more RPMs to make more overall amperage and the smaller the alternator pulley is in comparison to your crank pulley the faster the alternator will spin.

By making the alternator pulley bigger, you drastically reduced the RPMs the alternator sees and drastically reduced its output.

Swap the pulley back how it should be, get a belt that fits TIGHT or you will have belt slip. Also belt slip can happen sometimes without even making any of your typical belt squeel noise.

1995 Nissan 240SX 5 speed , 37k original miles
    -Headunit: JVC AHD-69
    -Speakers: Polk Audio DB6501 comps
    -Speaker amp: Diamond D104 old school SQ made in USA, running active on the polks ^^
    -Sub: D4 SA12 in a 1.7~cube box tuned to 33
    -Sub amp: Sundown SAZ 3k @ 2 ohms
    -Electrical: 115A Nissan quest alt, Big 3 with 1/0, C&D 75ah under hood, Power 102aH in trunk.
    -Trunk, doors, and rear deck w/ AT 60mil. Doors are sealed. Trunk lid deadened with great stuff + SS Spectrum. Roof also done with SS Spectrum

SounDrive is offline SounDrive RCA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Some alternators SHUT OFF at low rpms. The even larger pulley would increase this issue. The smaller pulley will most likely fix it. This is usually only an issue with crappy alternators, but if you're running it at way lower rpms that it was designed for it will cause problems

Owner, SounDrive Custom RCAs (and other cables)

Find us on Facebook!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tenacious. View Post
    Some alternators SHUT OFF at low rpms. The even larger pulley would increase this issue. The smaller pulley will most likely fix it. This is usually only an issue with crappy alternators, but if you're running it at way lower rpms that it was designed for it will cause problems
    the small pulley wont fix.it ..its controlled by the pcm

gamehawk55 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

the small pulley wont fix.it ..its controlled by the pcm
    Holy sh** buddy give it a rest with the PCM cra*. The OP has already stated that there were NO VOLTAGE PROBLEMS BEFORE INSTALLING THE NEW ALT. Therefore it is NOT a PCM issue. The PCM is not just going to all of a sudden do something it didn't do before just cuz he dropped a different alt in. It's the fact that the OP switched from the small pulley to the large pulley before installing the alt rather than using it in the configuration that singer had recommended. OP chose the easy way out and it caused problems. Plain and simple. It's like with anything else. You operate something outside the parameters set by the manufacturer then you are more than likely gonna run into problems.

Vehicle: 2007 Pontiac G6 GT
    Head Unit: Kenwood DDX419
    Speakers: Focal PS165 Components
    Distribution: Knukonceptz KNF-60 Power/Ground Distribution block
    Amps: Audioque 200.2, Rockford Fosgate T2500-1BDCP
    Subs: 2 SA-8v2 D2 wired @2ohms in custom ported box tuned to 34-35hz
    Wiring: All 1/0 Gauge SHOK Wire and Knukonceptz wire + BIG 3
    Alternator: Singer 310A 6 Phase High Output Alternator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gamehawk55 View Post
    Holy sh** buddy give it a rest with the PCM cra*. The OP has already stated that there were NO VOLTAGE PROBLEMS BEFORE INSTALLING THE NEW ALT. Therefore it is NOT a PCM issue. The PCM is not just going to all of a sudden do something it didn't do before just cuz he dropped a different alt in. It's the fact that the OP switched from the small pulley to the large pulley before installing the alt rather than using it in the configuration that singer had recommended. OP chose the easy way out and it caused problems. Plain and simple. It's like with anything else. You operate something outside the parameters set by the manufacturer then you are more than likely gonna run into problems.
    do you own a 05+ chevy? if.not.stfu ...they all shut down to 13-12.9 as econ mode..he can say it didnt.happen before but he proly wasnt payin as much attention ..yea the pulley isnt helping he situation..but he still will never maintain 14v..unless he externally regulates it

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

trust me the volage dropped before the alt and it will drop after the pulley change..get mad at chevy not.me

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

do you own a 05+ chevy? if.not.stfu ...they all shut down to 13-12.9 as econ mode..he can say it didnt.happen before but he proly wasnt payin as much attention ..yea the pulley isnt helping he situation..but he still will never maintain 14v..unless he externally regulates it
    I'm pretty sure the OP would have noticed before if his voltage was dipping so low that his fu**in battery light (no charge) came on before putting the new alt in. And I never said he would maintain 14v+. Especially not if it's running as hot as he says it is. My 2007 G6 stock alt usually runs at about 13.8-14v unless it's dead cold. But I've seen it go as low as 13.5v on a hot day. But either way I'd be willing to bet that if the OP switches that pulley he's gonna get at least a consistant 13.6v+ out of it. And then coupled with the beefy amperage it's putting out he'll be fine and probably never dip below 13.2 depending on how much power he's actually runnin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

I'm pretty sure the OP would have noticed before if his voltage was dipping so low that his fu**in battery light (no charge) came on before putting the new alt in. And I never said he would maintain 14v+. Especially not if it's running as hot as he says it is. My 2007 G6 stock alt usually runs at about 13.8-14v unless it's dead cold. But I've seen it go as low as 13.5v on a hot day. But either way I'd be willing to bet that if the OP switches that pulley he's gonna get at least a consistant 13.6v+ out of it. And then coupled with the beefy amperage it's putting out he'll be fine and probably never dip below 13.2 depending on how much power he's actually runnin.

13.6 aont worth a fvck ..before mine would be 14.6 then it.kicked down to 12.9..but regardless of.what he does ...if he wants 14.4 or higher he needs to bypass the pcm and externally regulate it..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

13.6 aont worth a fvck ..before mine would be 14.6 then it.kicked down to 12.9..but regardless of.what he does ...if he wants 14.4 or higher he needs to bypass the pcm and externally regulate it..
    Well 13.6 is certainly better than trying to run anything at 12.9 and lower. At least it would get him by for the time being.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Well 13.6 is certainly better than trying to run anything at 12.9 and lower. At least it would get him by for the time being.
    i wouldnt run anything i plan on keepin at 13.6 for long hell if i see 14.6 im mad lol ..he meeds to change pulleys yes ..but for 125 bucks he can charge at 15.3

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i wouldnt run anything i plan on keepin at 13.6 for long hell if i see 14.6 im mad lol ..he meeds to change pulleys yes ..but for 125 bucks he can charge at 15.3
    Is 13.6-13.8 really THAT bad? Also can you make a stock alt charge that high too? Or does it always have to be an HO alt to push em that high?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast