Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Weird Problem with No Sound

Brandon407 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Weird Problem with No Sound

Hello, I have been trying to fix this problem for weeks and I have come to a dead end. I installed a 12" Boston Competition speaker with a 500 watt Boss amp. It actually thumped really hard. It hit harder than most cars with two 12's. One month goes by and the sub stopped hitting, no sound at all will come from it. I checked all the fuses and visually inspected the wires, everything was good. I assumed my amp was fried. I bought a Pioneer 820 watt amp, hooked everything up and no sound still. Then I went to Best Buy and bought the $24.99 kicker RCA cables, went out to the parking lot, hooked it up to the head unit and amp, still no sound. I returned the cables and bought a new head unit, attached all the wires and still no sound from the subwoofer. I know that the remote wire is working because the amp light does come on when I start the truck. I don't understand why it would just cut out while I was driving and I can't get it working again. I touched the hot wire to the ground wire and it sparks so the ground is good and I have power. I even connected my brothers subwoofer from his car to the amp and no sound came from it either.

If you have ANY suggestion, please give them to me. I have tried everything that I can think of. Thanks.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Weird Problem with No Sound

Could the battery not be strong enough?

mrclean636 is offline Time is Money

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I was going to say your sub was probably blown. But if you tried your brothers then that can't be the case. Are you sure your ground is making a good connection to the frame? It should be sanded down and bolted down properly. One other thing I can think of is if your headunit was swapped in and out, some lose their memory when disconnected from power. And some radios require you to turn the sub "on". Are you sure it is on and are you sure you have the rca's plugged into the "sub" white and red ports on the back of the radio? Also make sure the rca's are plugged into the "in" on the amp.

Car: 2011 Ford Taurus SEL / Alt: DC Power 270XP
    Deck: Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH / Amps: (1) DC 5.0K, (1) RF T400-2
    Speaks: (1) RF T2652-S 6.5", (1) RF T1682 6x8"
    Subs: (2) DC XLm2 15's / Batts: (2) XS XP3000 Batts
    Wiring: Kolossus Fleks Kable 1/0 (2 runs)

My Ratings:
    iTrader: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/itrader.php?u=1011469
    Feedback Thread: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer-seller-feedback/575818-mrclean636-feedback-thread.html

4. Dislikes martiandancer31 disliked this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mrclean636 View Post
    I was going to say your sub was probably blown. But if you tried your brothers then that can't be the case. Are you sure your ground is making a good connection to the frame? It should be sanded down and bolted down properly. One other thing I can think of is if your headunit was swapped in and out, some lose their memory when disconnected from power. And some radios require you to turn the sub "on". Are you sure it is on and are you sure you have the rca's plugged into the "sub" white and red ports on the back of the radio? Also make sure the rca's are plugged into the "in" on the amp.
    Yup, It's a 2 channel amp, only has one red and one white. The back of the head unit only has one output connection as well. I also went into settings and turned on the subwoofer output.

cfox10 is offline Rock the house.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon407 View Post
    Hello, I have been trying to fix this problem for weeks and I have come to a dead end. I installed a 12" Boston Competition speaker with a 500 watt Boss amp. It actually thumped really hard. It hit harder than most cars with two 12's. One month goes by and the sub stopped hitting, no sound at all will come from it. I checked all the fuses and visually inspected the wires, everything was good. I assumed my amp was fried. I bought a Pioneer 820 watt amp, hooked everything up and no sound still. Then I went to Best Buy and bought the $24.99 kicker RCA cables, went out to the parking lot, hooked it up to the head unit and amp, still no sound. I returned the cables and bought a new head unit, attached all the wires and still no sound from the subwoofer. I know that the remote wire is working because the amp light does come on when I start the truck. I don't understand why it would just cut out while I was driving and I can't get it working again. I touched the hot wire to the ground wire and it sparks so the ground is good and I have power. I even connected my brothers subwoofer from his car to the amp and no sound came from it either.

If you have ANY suggestion, please give them to me. I have tried everything that I can think of. Thanks.
    What amp are you using right now? I can think of a few different things...

Check that the amp (if it has this setting) is set to Master, not slave.
    Which headunit are you using? (some headunits have multiple subwoofer settings you need to turn on)
    Ground wire is lose or not connected properly (where is it connected?)

Check all these first

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cfox10 View Post
    What amp are you using right now? I can think of a few different things...

Check that the amp (if it has this setting) is set to Master, not slave.
    Which headunit are you using? (some headunits have multiple subwoofer settings you need to turn on)
    Ground wire is lose or not connected properly (where is it connected?)

Check all these first
    820 Watt Pioneer. I don't think there is a master/slave switch on this one but I've tried it with the switches in every possible way.
    The settings in my head unit were Subwoofer on or off, Subwoofer Gain and something else. I enabled all of them.
    I'm pretty sure I'm grounded good, if I touched the hot to the ground wire and get a spark, it's grounded, right?

cfox10 is offline Rock the house.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon407 View Post
    820 Watt Pioneer. I don't think there is a master/slave switch on this one but I've tried it with the switches in every possible way.
    The settings in my head unit were Subwoofer on or off, Subwoofer Gain and something else. I enabled all of them.
    I'm pretty sure I'm grounded good, if I touched the hot to the ground wire and get a spark, it's grounded, right?
    Get a voltage meter, test the RCA's with it. It's probably the headunit.

clickclickw00t is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1) Try running a 3.5mm cable from your iphone to the RCAs on the amp. (3.5mm Stereo Plug to Dual RCA Plug - 6 FT | ShowMeCables.com)

2) Do you have a multimeter? if you do can you tell us the voltage its reading? If not, get one ASAP.

3) take a pic of your ground...

2012 Scion TC // 20% tint
    HU: Pioneer MVH-P4400BH
    Front: Focal 165KF Mid, Stock 3.5 inch, Stock 1inch Tweeter.
    Rear: Alpine Type R Component
    Sub: Audioque HDC 312 (@1ohm)
    High Amp: Nakamichi KA-504
    Sub Amp: Audioque 2200.1D
    Deadened doors and trunk
    Stinger Volt-meter
    Decaf All Day

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cfox10 View Post
    Get a voltage meter, test the RCA's with it. It's probably the headunit.
    I just bought a new one and it still doesn't work.

Closed Thread