Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Voltage drops? Help!

Tshaffe is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Voltage drops? Help!

I have a jl 1000/1 (v1) with 4 gauge wire and just stock alternator and battery and everything. When I hook up the amp to a sub with gain on about half (either my w7 or re audio sxx) it will play for a little bit but when I turn the volume up on my deck the amp light flickers than powers off but then will turn back on. I have never had a problem like this before so I need advice! I have never had a system with this high amount of watts tho.I went to a auto part store to test my battery and they said the battery is good and is getting a good charge. So my battery and alternator are okay. I think maybe my alternator just can't keep up with this high powered system. Any suggestions?? Would doing the big 3 help? Hooking up my capacitor help? Please give me advice!

gckless is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Re: Voltage drops? Help!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwindbag View Post
    I have a jl 1000/1 (v1) with 4 gauge wire and just stock alternator and battery and everything. When I hook up the amp to a sub with gain on about half (either my w7 or re audio sxx) it will play for a little bit but when I turn the volume up on my deck the amp light flickers than powers off but then will turn back on. I have never had a problem like this before so I need advice! I have never had a system with this high amount of watts tho.I went to a auto part store to test my battery and they said the battery is good and is getting a good charge. So my battery and alternator are okay. I think maybe my alternator just can't keep up with this high powered system. Any suggestions?? Would doing the big 3 help? Hooking up my capacitor help? Please give me advice!
    Do your lights dim? Have you measured voltage anywhere? You're going to want to measure voltage both at the amp and at the front battery playing music about 3/4 of the max volume where it shuts off. Big 3 will almost always help.

What I'm getting at is that your electrical system probably cannot keep up with the draw demands of the amp, but it also might be a poor connection either on your power or ground wire, which those tests I mentioned above will show.

Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2566-1999-Chevrolet-Blazer&highlight=1999+blazer

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes my lights dim pretty bad

jasonbillnelson is offline LEAD, FOLLOW, OR GTFO!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

definitely get the big 3 done. Audio Technix is having a crazy sale go buy one of their 0 gauge big 3 kits that they have on sale right now. That will definitely help with charging

SSgt. Jason Nelson
    Andrews AFB, MD USAF

Bought from sangthing, 93 saturn sl2, basswiigee, goodstuff, HomeGrown, 06gtmike
    **PBnation**http://www.pbnation.com/feedback.php?u=382280 --**eBay**search jasonbillnelson, 104 positive-0 negative[
    HU: Clarion NX501 Nav Deck
    Amps: C2 Audio Recon 1.6, Sundown SAX50.4
    Speakers: MB Quart ONX216 Components - 2 full sets
    Subwoofer: C2 Audio Threatcon 4 V1 12"
    Wire/Battery: 0ga CCA --Shuriken BT-80 up front and Shuriken BT-35 secondary

raptor727 is offline come get some!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

spare batt too I had two of those amps and they draw a good bit of current for the 1kw they are

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Do you think I would actually need an extra battery in the trunk? Cause ill hook up my 2 farad cap and do big 3 upgrade.

robert420 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

a two farad cap will barely do anything. either a deep cell in the back, but if you have to go with a cap, go with at least 20 farad

Closed Thread