+ Reply to Thread

Reload Thread: new setup; which way to face subs??

Perversion is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

new setup; which way to face subs??

ive jumped from forum to forum looking for an acceptable answer to the age old question of which way to face the subs in my trunk. up until yesterday, I had two RF Punch 12' subs, 300w max (don't laugh lol). yesterday I upgraded to 2 Alpine type X 12' with a Hifonics Brutus 2000 amp. I have yet to put the box in the trunk and hear them because im not quite sure which way to face them. as I understand it, the overwhelming consensus is to face them toward the trunk because of loading and other physics. but just when I think that's the way to go, a bunch of other forums/people say to face towards cabin.

I mainly listen to dubstep/trap music and while db is important to me, I mainly want the "punch" to be optimal. unfortunately, I am **** retentive, and get EXTREMELY irritated by trunk rattle. I know this setup will be quite the upgrade from what I had and will be amazing either way, but I want the "hit" to be the hardest it can be. any and all advice is welcome and appreciated!!!

heres the current setup:
    2 Alpine Type X 12' in a sealed box
    running on 1ohm to Hifonics Brutus 2000w mono amp
    back seats DO fold down
    car is a '97 and rattles enough to make me grind my teeth, lol

keep in mind I pride myself on SQ if that helps.

and while I have your attention, I hear type x's are best used in a vented box? the sealed box im using is just holding me over til I get a different one. any advice on a box is GREATLY appreciated, as well.

Thanx

JL Audio is offline ThugStep

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Re: new setup; which way to face subs??

Quote Originally Posted by Perversion View Post
    ive jumped from forum to forum looking for an acceptable answer to the age old question of which way to face the subs in my trunk. up until yesterday, I had two RF Punch 12' subs, 300w max (don't laugh lol). yesterday I upgraded to 2 Alpine type X 12' with a Hifonics Brutus 2000 amp. I have yet to put the box in the trunk and hear them because im not quite sure which way to face them. as I understand it, the overwhelming consensus is to face them toward the trunk because of loading and other physics. but just when I think that's the way to go, a bunch of other forums/people say to face towards cabin.

I mainly listen to dubstep/trap music and while db is important to me, I mainly want the "punch" to be optimal. unfortunately, I am **** retentive, and get EXTREMELY irritated by trunk rattle. I know this setup will be quite the upgrade from what I had and will be amazing either way, but I want the "hit" to be the hardest it can be. any and all advice is welcome and appreciated!!!

heres the current setup:
    2 Alpine Type X 12' in a sealed box
    running on 1ohm to Hifonics Brutus 2000w mono amp
    back seats DO fold down
    car is a '97 and rattles enough to make me grind my teeth, lol

keep in mind I pride myself on SQ if that helps.

and while I have your attention, I hear type x's are best used in a vented box? the sealed box im using is just holding me over til I get a different one. any advice on a box is GREATLY appreciated, as well.

Thanx

i'd have no problem using sealed boxes for a type X, type R however.. you'd want ported for most output. What electrical do you have for this " 2000 " watt amp? what's the current box c.ft?

face them forward into the cabin if you're that bothered by the rattle, also invest heavily in some deadener, audio technix/fatmat/anything really... it all helps better than nothing.

3. Thanks Brett Shields thanked for this post
    NIHL8ION is offline RUN ur car NOT ur mouth !

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Sealed in a trunk is going to sound like azz unless you face them away from the cabin... If I was you, I would 1st of all have a custom ported enclosure made for your subs, it will do wonders for those! & 2nd, Step up your electrical and get yourself a better amp with more power if you really want to: as you said "want the "hit" to be the hardest it can be."

- Cadence DCA2500.1 Running a Tantric HDD - 12" D2
    *Bought From: cx-7heaven, nutnbutcustm, naughtyca, agarabaghi, Skip01*Traded With: infamous_e46, basswiigee**Sold To: DeanG, R.S.D., livinloud!*
    Feedback Link: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/itrader.php?u=1028333

TaylorFade is offline I fail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)

Unless you seal the baffle from the rest of the trunk, just facing them forward will do very little to alleviate trunk rattle. Unfortunately. You'll still be pressurizing the trunk.

I'm partial to upfiring in trunks. So, that's what I'd do. It's the best compromise of output and having something for them to load off of.

Quote Originally Posted by eCrack View Post
    TaylorFail
    Quote Originally Posted by Suicide Bobb View Post
    Taylorfail, v.2
    Quote Originally Posted by Imtjnotu View Post
    tailorFail v.3
    Quote Originally Posted by brodeisel View Post
    TaylorFail v.4
    Quote Originally Posted by tat2bass View Post
    TaylorWin v.1?

Perversion is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

the electrical upgrade ive done so far is I had the big 3 upgraded and got an xs power D5100 battery. the sealed box is definitely not meant for these subs tho. im going to have one made, going by the forum responses, and I guess im looking at ported. where do I need the port/ports located on the enclosure?

and thanks for all the responses so far, guys

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I would hit up double07 or dbeez - Tell them what you have and what your goals are & they will help design you a good solid enclosure, build it, and ship it out to you

*Bought From: cx-7heaven, nutnbutcustm, naughtyca, agarabaghi, Skip01*Traded With: infamous_e46, basswiigee**Sold To: DeanG, R.S.D., livinloud!*

JL Audio is offline ThugStep

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NIHL8ION View Post
    I would hit up double07 or dbeez - Tell them what you have and what your goals are & they will help design you a good solid enclosure, build it, and ship it out to you
    i'd recommend buck personally or pro-rabbit, i've also seen some stuff from double07 but can't recall what.

SounDrive is offline SounDrive RCA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JL Audio View Post
    i'd recommend buck personally or pro-rabbit, i've also seen some stuff from double07 but can't recall what.
    Buck has been very sick lately. And @double 07 ; makes some great enclosures, mine came from him. Of all the available builders right now I'd have to say that his build quality is the best I've seen without having to pay out the ass

My personal choice would be to deaden the **** out of the trunk and fire the subs and port back.

Chriszle is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NIHL8ION View Post
    Sealed in a trunk is going to sound like azz unless you face them away from the cabin... If I was you, I would 1st of all have a custom ported enclosure made for your subs, it will do wonders for those! & 2nd, Step up your electrical and get yourself a better amp with more power if you really want to: as you said "want the "hit" to be the hardest it can be."
    Not necessarily true. I had 2 12" alpine type x in a sealed box ~6 years ago. I tried every orientation, and facing forward 2/3 of the way back in the trunk sounded the best to ear. Quite a bit better than any of the rear firing positions I tried. OP your best bet is to put them in and listen to it. It really depends on too many factors to say 1 way will work better than another.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chriszle View Post
    Not necessarily true. I had 2 12" alpine type x in a sealed box ~6 years ago. I tried every orientation, and facing forward 2/3 of the way back in the trunk sounded the best to ear. Quite a bit better than any of the rear firing positions I tried. OP your best bet is to put them in and listen to it. It really depends on too many factors to say 1 way will work better than another.
    I'd have to agree with this ^^^ Depends on the car try it every way you can and leave how it sounds best to YOU

Chriszle is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

the electrical upgrade ive done so far is I had the big 3 upgraded and got an xs power D5100 battery. the sealed box is definitely not meant for these subs tho. im going to have one made, going by the forum responses, and I guess im looking at ported. where do I need the port/ports located on the enclosure?

The type x specs show it prefers a sealed box over ported, but it will work fine in ported as well.

---------- Post added at 01:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 AM ----------

The type x specs show it prefers a sealed box over ported, but it will work fine in ported as well.

+ Reply to Thread