Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Do I need alternator or battery upgrade?

Hjbennett is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Do I need alternator or battery upgrade?

2011 Hyundai Sonata Turbo. Stock alternator 110 amp. Stock battery. Will be running a VFL 4480 to an XFL 1222 1600rms. Do I need to upgrade alternator, battery, or do the big 3 for this system?

mylows10 is online now Dc,tantric,singer,phd rep mylows10 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

mylows10 is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)

Re: Do I need alternator or battery upgrade?

big 3 and a better battery should be fine henry, but you really wont know until the amp is installed

pioneer avhx 5500 dvd, gzpa 1.4000 x 2
    ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com

SounDrive is offline SounDrive RCA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Like mentioned, do the big 3 for sure. I'd go to Sam's club/oreilly's and get an AGM battery for your car and that should be good enough. Install a voltage meter (or even use a cigarette lighter meter) and if there's a lot of voltage drop down to 12v you could optionally upgrade your alt too.

If you wanted to get creative you could use ultracapacitors like I'm planning on doing soon. They'd have plenty of reserves on that amp and you could probably keep your stock battery and alt and avoid all voltage drop.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Gotta love the quick professional responses on here. Im planning to do the big 3 this weekend if i can find wiring locally. Thanks folks. I appreciate the advice

jar1zx is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Don't use a power cap as a band aid
    Only use cap when you have your electric system right. Think of a cap as a real fast batt it will discharge in fraction of a sec but it also charges the same way so if your having a problem to start with you will have it still after a cap.
    So if your electrical is good. Some people say that when the music demands instant power on a peak the power cap is going to help out with that. Some people say they are a complete waste of money. I myself believe that caps will help you on a 8 sec SPL burp
    I have ran caps before ,the times my electric system was enuff to power my setup I really think the caps helped. The one time I used one when my electric system was nowhere close to powering my audio system the 2 caps and a batt cap did not help any
    1st do big 3, 2nd upgrade batt, 3rd upgrade alt

05 gmc sierra 1500hd quad cab
    Hu pioneer avh-x8500bhs
    Front and rear stage fosgate power two sets t1652-s.
    PPI PC 450..and Audio Art 2100
    Kicker kx2500.1
    One run of stinger 0 gauge with big 3, stinger volt meter ,red top under hood for now
    2 Sundown sd-2 4ohm tens in .8 each sealed
    AppRadio Extensions on Iphone5
    Dc 270xp DC dual alt bracket

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jar1zx View Post
    Don't use a power cap as a band aid
    Only use cap when you have your electric system right. Think of a cap as a real fast batt it will discharge in fraction of a sec but it also charges the same way so if your having a problem to start with you will have it still after a cap.
    So if your electrical is good. Some people say that when the music demands instant power on a peak the power cap is going to help out with that. Some people say they are a complete waste of money. I myself believe that caps will help you on a 8 sec SPL burp
    I have ran caps before ,the times my electric system was enuff to power my setup I really think the caps helped. The one time I used one when my electric system was nowhere close to powering my audio system the 2 caps and a batt cap did not help any
    1st do big 3, 2nd upgrade batt, 3rd upgrade alt
    I said ultracapacitors, not capacitors. There's a huge difference and ultracapacitors are actually useful, they just aren't "out there" as something popular to use in car audio yet. Whereas a capacitor may have 1 to 10 farads, a bank of ultracapacitors will have around 400-500 farads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

**** that might be cool. I would just have to use one as I have never even seen one
    I remember when I bought my batt cap for way to much money was in 04-06 I don't remember but the selling point on them was the ability to charge like a battery and discharge like a cap. It ended up not helping
    I will stand by what I said about caps but I will not add the ultra cap in that category since I have never used one
    But what's the cost on one? If its anywhere near the price of a high output alt I would say go with the alt upgrade you can never go wrong in doing that

Hu pioneer avh-x8500bhs
    Kicker kx2500.1
    One run of stinger 0 gauge with big 3, stinger volt meter ,red top under hood for now

mylows10 is online now Dc,tantric,singer,phd rep mylows10 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

mylows10 is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hjbennett View Post
    Gotta love the quick professional responses on here. Im planning to do the big 3 this weekend if i can find wiring locally. Thanks folks. I appreciate the advice
    i can 3 day ship you one henry

pioneer avhx 5500 dvd, gzpa 1.4000 x 2
    ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jar1zx View Post
    **** that might be cool. I would just have to use one as I have never even seen one
    I remember when I bought my batt cap for way to much money was in 04-06 I don't remember but the selling point on them was the ability to charge like a battery and discharge like a cap. It ended up not helping
    I will stand by what I said about caps but I will not add the ultra cap in that category since I have never used one
    But what's the cost on one? If its anywhere near the price of a high output alt I would say go with the alt upgrade you can never go wrong in doing that
    You need at least 6 of them to support a 14.8v system for a car and they're $60 each new (so $360 new for a single bank) - they're rated for 2.7v each. But you can buy them used (1 year on electric busses) on eBay for $220 for 12 of them which is enough for two banks, and they'll still last you a few years. So they're about the price of a good AGM battery for something that will prevent voltage drop much better

Look up "ultra capacitors" or "super capacitors" on youtube and there's a few videos of people starting their cars with them and other things like that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'll check it out T 2 even tho I have ordered a high output alt that should be a over kill for what I need
    I always like to learn new about new things. Thx

Hu pioneer avh-x8500bhs
    Kicker kx2500.1

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mylows10 View Post
    i can 3 day ship you one henry
    I have to wait on my amp, sub, and enclosure so i can put big 3 off til next weekend. Pm me a price Jim for regular shipping.

Closed Thread