+ Reply to Thread

Reload Thread: H/O Alt vs Dodge computer regulated sys?

Lowlacs is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

H/O Alt vs Dodge computer regulated sys?

Ok guys I have a 1997 dodge ram(base) with a 90amp alt. My sub-stage consist of 2xfl 12s and currently a ab vfl110.1(2krms?) soon to be swapped for ab ph4000 with a stock walmart batt under hood with a kinetic1800 by the amps. My plan was to grab a 136amp stock replacement alt from my local pick and pull for 20bucks to hold me over till I saved enough for an H/O alt.

I stopped into a local alt shop today and they explained that my truck has a regulated charging system controlled by my ecm/computer or "brain". Now I am no noob or rookie to the game but I am no guru either. My question is.... will a mechman or any other h/o alt work for me? Surely someone builds an alt for the dodge like my own right?

I dont have a pile of money so I will need to save or buy a 200ish amp used off here. Could anyone that knows about or has experience with this, please chime in here and lend me an opinion or point me in the right direction.

Thanks for any help.

97 Ram
    2 sets Kicker ks650.2 on a
    Mmats 2050x

2 American Bass XFL12s(4th order) on
    American Bass VFL110.1
    Kinetic hc1800

Traded to: WinkyChevelle, Sold to: Outer,Markbuhler007,67bass71, Bought from: Mylows10

Jroo is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Re: H/O Alt vs Dodge computer regulated sys?

I dont have experience with this, but have heard what you are talking about. I think you need what they call a VCM(voltage control module). Several of the alt companies have and make them now and a few companies just do it as a stand alone product. Until you figure that part out, it doesnt matter what alt you put in. Your trucks computer is going to limit the output because it is trying to regulate it. I just put a link to one company I heard of but like I said, several of the alt companies now have same/similar product

Voltage Modules

NASTY08IMPALA is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Yes my impala has same bs ....i have a mechman with a external voltage regulator...thycwill work with any ho alt ..they are about 125 bucks

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NASTY08IMPALA View Post
    Yes my impala has same bs ....i have a mechman with a external voltage regulator...thycwill work with any ho alt ..they are about 125 bucks
    Thanks for ur input guys, so the way Im understanding this is that the new alt will only have an exciter wire to turn it on and none of the other small wires from my truck will hook to it right? And the external regulator will hook up to the alt also as a stand alone from my truck?

I had a dodge a few yrs ago with dual alts and thats the way they were(single exciter wire). If I remember correctly that truck never held voltage like I thought it should either. I will be contactin an alt company soon to ask more questions. Someone suggested excessive amperage, anyone have experience with them or any suggestions? Thanks again to whoever may answer.

97 Ram
    Mmats 2050x

American Bass VFL110.1
    Kinetic hc1800

Traded to: WinkyChevelle, Sold to: Outer,Markbuhler007,67bass71, Bought from: Mylows10

mylows10 is offline Cali DC PHD & Tantric rep

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    463 Post(s)

you need an alt that turns on when the pulley rotates , also you'll have t0 leave the stock harness unplugged,or the computer will knock the voltage down , i may trigger the check engine light as well ,but as soon as you plug in the harness and the computer cycles it should go off .but yes there is a few companies that makes an alt for your truck.

pioneer avhx 5500 dvd, gzpa 1.4000 x 2
    ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Ok I get it now, A simple one wire h/o alt is what I need. Similar to the old hot rod 1wire alts. Leave the harness unplugged and only my big3 wires from the alt to my distribution box and batts. The "check" light will likely drive me nuts as this is my dailly so I may consider the Charge Module mentioned before if I get the light.

97 Ram
    Mmats 2050x

American Bass VFL110.1
    Kinetic hc1800

mylows10 is offline Cali DC PHD & Tantric rep

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    463 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lowlacs View Post
    Ok I get it now, A simple one wire h/o alt is what I need. Similar to the old hot rod 1wire alts. Leave the harness unplugged and only my big3 wires from the alt to my distribution box and batts. The "check" light will likely drive me nuts as this is my dailly so I may consider the Charge Module mentioned before if I get the light.
    thats the xs power vcm ,not sure if it will work tho if plugged into the stock harness ,

pioneer avhx 5500 dvd, gzpa 1.4000 x 2
    ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com

+ Reply to Thread