Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

volts and watts?

my amp is rated at 1000x 1 @ 1ohm (14.4v) just to clarify does that mean that in order to get my full 1000 i need to have a 14.4v signal? i have my amp kicker DX1000.1 wired at 1ohm to a type r 12d2. ive set my gain to the right level both using a dmm and my ear. its loud but not as loud as i would expect. i also wired two of the type r's up at 2ohms for 500watts and i honestly cant tell much of a difference. theyre each in a 1.2 ported box tuned to 32hz inverse mounted which is within specs. but my weakest link is my HU which is a cheap JVC. am i on the right track thinking this is whats limiting me?

keep_hope_alive is online now Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1171 Post(s)

Re: volts and watts?

yes, you need a solid 14.4VDC supply to make rated power at 14.4VDC. this is common for most amplifiers. you may notice power is almost halved at 12VDC input. this is because power is related to the square of voltage. P=V^2/R

you cannot wire a D2 sub for 2 ohm mono. you can wire it for 1 ohm (parallel) or 4 ohm (series). you could connect just one coil, but then you halve power handling since the power handling is based on both coils being ran. i typed this but now realize you were adding a sub to get to 2 ohm.

using a DMM and test tones is fine for worst case protection but most songs have bass notes that are -3 or -6dB down so there isn't clipping when music is laid on top of the bass line. each album has bass mixed at different levels, though i've seen some at -0dB.

have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

My 2014 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/608637-2014-accord-sport-sq-build-keep_hope_alive.html
    ***My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkYUo2EShW9lgtrfXiDvLNQ/videos
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html

3. Likes 05trailblazer liked this post
    keep_hope_alive is online now Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1171 Post(s)

sub box placement determines the final performance. you will get cancellation as bass tries to go everywhere but reflects off interior panels (trunk/hatch/etc.) and then combines with the direct signal. this is why you get different bass performance depending on how the sub box is placed and aimed.

have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

My 2014 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/608637-2014-accord-sport-sq-build-keep_hope_alive.html
    ***My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkYUo2EShW9lgtrfXiDvLNQ/videos
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html

AndrewHD is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    89 Post(s)

What vehicle is this in?

2005 Impala
    DC Power 300 amp alt
    XS Power D3400 under hood
    Big 3 Rockford 1/0 gauge
    Eclipse AVN 726E
    Rockford T3 6.5 component set
    Rockford 1000.4-ADCP
    Rockford 2500.1-BDCP
    FI Q 15 Sealed 2.5 cu. ft

dbjunior is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    122 Post(s)

Your box is your weak link. 1.2 is very small for a 12 should be double with a lot of port area. When you add the second sub you are reducing power by half lose 3db but double cone area gain 3 db putting you back where you started. Have a custom box designed and build it or have it built then get a new amp that makes its power at 2ohm.

bought from MBROOKY, johnny law.Lulz, subzero, tc3k101
    sold to mytrunkslamz , vitveet, cd6551, martiandancer31 (x2), pro-rabbit, whytellyou
    Trade with cf2004

noble brown is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

its in a 07 lucerne. the boxes are currently laying on their back maybe 6 inches from the bumper.

you cannot wire a D2 sub for 2 ohm mono.
    oh i kno. it was two subs wired at 2ohms.

so would you suggest a line driver?

you may notice power is almost halved at 12VDC input. this is because power is related to the square of voltage.
    no i hadnt noticed... so if im pushing a 12V signal im only gonna get 500watts @ 1ohm? ****!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

using a DMM and test tones is fine for worst case protection but most songs have bass notes that are -3 or -6dB down so there isn't clipping when music is laid on top of the bass line. each album has bass mixed at different levels, though i've seen some at -0dB
    this i did notice this messing w my music on audacity and was kinda curious cause it seemed that most if not all the clipping was in the higher ranges. but the purpose of setting my gain is to prevent my amp from clipping the signal, right? and if i were to be pushing a 14V signal i would be able to turn my gain up higher w/out clipping, right?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

Your box is your weak link. 1.2 is very small for a 12 should be double with a lot of port area
    normally i would agree but the specs provided by alpine recommend a 1 - 1.5 vented box

SMS
    SMS is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)

your question of the line driver leads me to believe your thinking the voltage of your preouts on the HU has something to do with the voltage your alternator is feeding your amp. a line driver will do nothing to the voltage your amp sees. if you have 2V preouts you will have to turn your gains up more to get the same output if you have 5V preouts. bet someone could explain this better and go into more technical depth

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

your question of the line driver leads me to believe your thinking the voltage of your preouts on the HU has something to do with the voltage your alternator is feeding your amp. a line driver will do nothing to the voltage your amp sees. if you have 2V preouts you will have to turn your gains up more to get the same output if you have 5V preouts. bet someone could explain this better and go into more technical depth
    oh ok i think i get it now. i was thinking that my preamp signal needed to be 14.4v to get my 1000w. lol...silly me. so i did notice my lights were dimming some. im gonna meter my amp and see wher im at. i have another battery, maybe it will help?

Closed Thread