Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Rockford Fosgate 600W 201s No sound

Spiike is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Rockford Fosgate 600W 201s No sound

So the other day I was driving and i hear this gurgle and then no bass anymore! i pull over, and the fosgate punch 201s is super hot! I didn't realize i was overworking the 600w amp on a 400w subwoofer! but this is because I recently bought a new battery because the old one just gave in, stock 2006 Chevy Cobalt, I had the window rolled down with air constantly going past the amp! Anywho

The amp stopped producing sound, and I would like to know what I should do next if there is a life time warranty on these things or not, because i know these things are built to stomp on! with thermal protection cut off it should be working okay now, but no sound comes out, so should i be taking an moistureless air compressor to it, remove the case and inspect for any blown capacitors etc?

*edit*

I am knowledge-able regarding this stuff, just not a professional. I have tested the speaker, runs fine and perfect on my backup rodek ra-250e with 250w of power, and the rockford amp will not run either of my 2x alpine 10" subs i have in storage. 60A fuse is not blown. Just gave in and quit due to excessive heat. with much airflow over the heatsync. My rodek ra-250e heats up and cuts out and goes protect turn off and on, turn the bass down a touch and rodek is 100% good to go after thermal protect. but not the fosgate, first time i've overheated it. bought back in fall. around when the temperature was cool, now its getting warmer!

any help is appreciated, i have some technical expertise, I would like to take it apart and inspect, but I require a professional to say its done, check it out, or wait call rockford first! guys let me know!
    Last edited by Spiike; 04-15-2013 at 11:23 PM. Reason: adding more information regarding

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Rockford Fosgate 600W 201s No sound

Okay on advice from rebuilding amps website i found, there is no warranty sticker that i have to cut to break the warranty, so i dont think there is any life time garantee or warranty on it. so upon inspection i found this break in the solder along the rail to and from the B- line. I don't like meddling with things without professional instruction, i inspected the entire amp and found no spillage, boilage, breakage, burnage, so i hope this is the problem. can i drop a dot of solder between the 2 connections?

the peices of the green circuit board have came loose, looked burnt.
    Rockford Fosgate 600W 201s No sound-brokenamp2.jpg

BrownVanMan is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

How did you set gains?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

im runnin a really old crap nexstar hu, so the hu set at -10 so i don't blow the fronts cause their still stock. ive got the fosgate amp set to +12db and about 40% gain, what ive done is set the amp on the run so i could keep it running at 90% bass hit at volume 30, then i can turn the loud off and have the system run with good bass but not as strong with the kids in the car. but you still got a bit of volume, bit of bass, and i don't wreck the young ears! once the volumes hit 35 on the HU the fronts distort bad. so its just a matter of balance act till i get the cash to replace the fronts, install new rear 6x9s (blew the other stock 8ohm on a 4ohm deck, DOH! rookie mistake)

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i can get more pictures if required?

Closed Thread