Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)

Icon9 tweeter crackling problem

I installed my new Hertz hsk 165xl's in my right door today and after finishing it, it makes a crackling noise when I turn it up (it's powered by a rockford t400-2 power series amp) The way I wired it since it's impossible to run wire from inside the car to the door without drilling a hole in the door is I connected it after the wiring harness connects between the head unit and the harness, I unplugged the right speaker power and ground wires and connected that together and ran it to the back where my amp is, then from there I put a connected on the ends that came out that connected to the stock speaker (wire gauge is probably around 16) and connected it to my speaker wire I bought, ran that to my crossover it came with, then one to the tweeter on -2db and connected the woofer. If what I wrote at all makes sense, can anyone tell me what i'm doing wrong or what's going on? Thank you! (Also, only the right one is installed not the left if that makes any difference)
    Last edited by Callingindogs; 03-16-2013 at 09:21 AM.

Callingindogs is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)

Re: tweeter crackling problem

Anyone?

maylar is offline Electrical Weenie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    383 Post(s)

Your post makes my brain hurt. Can't figure out what you did.

dave
    ----------
    1999 Buick Park Ave Ultra
    Head Unit: JVC KWHDR720
    EQ: Audiocontrol EQL
    Front Stage: Hybrid Audio Technologies Imagine 5.25 mids, Morel Maximo tweets
    Sub Stage: Boston G3 10", 0.5 cu ft sealed
    Amp: PPI Phantom 900.4
    Rear Fill: Boston SE953 6X9's

jerseyboy is offline Team DC

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Callingindogs View Post
    I installed my new Hertz hsk 165xl's in my right door today and after finishing it, it makes a crackling noise when I turn it up (it's powered by a rockford t400-2 power series amp) The way I wired it since it's impossible to run wire from inside the car to the door without drilling a hole in the door is I connected it after the wiring harness connects between the head unit and the harness, I unplugged the right speaker power and ground wires and connected that together and ran it to the back where my amp is, then from there I put a connected on the ends that came out that connected to the stock speaker (wire gauge is probably around 16) and connected it to my speaker wire I bought, ran that to my crossover it came with, then one to the tweeter on -2db and connected the woofer. If what I wrote at all makes sense, can anyone tell me what i'm doing wrong or what's going on? Thank you! (Also, only the right one is installed not the left if that makes any difference)
    if I understand correct. there is a wire harness that takes all the wires from in the car to the door? so no grommet to run speaker wire through. then you spliced in to the speaker wire from the harness to wire up the mids. am i right?

head Unit- JVC double din dvd w/ipod & detachable face plate
    front stage- 4 Crescendo mp8's and crescendo ft1 super tweeters
    front stage amp- rf t1000-4AD & Skar 85.4
    Subs- 3- 10" DC xl's @31hz
    Sub's Amp- DC 5k (.6 ohm)
    Wires- All Shok Power and ground wires & Knu RCA's
    Electrical- DC Power 275ah alt, xs d3400 (front) & xp 2500's (x3) (rear)
    "my feed back thread"
    http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer-seller-feedback/407753-jerseyboy-feedback.html

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyboy View Post
    if I understand correct. there is a wire harness that takes all the wires from in the car to the door? so no grommet to run speaker wire through. then you spliced in to the speaker wire from the harness to wire up the mids. am i right?
    Yeah that's correct, from the door where the factory wire comes out I connected it to the cross over then out the cross over to the woofer and tweeter.

Kingstroker is offline Mr Dique

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    123 Post(s)

I pulled off the rubber hose(boot) the harness runs through and then threaded new wire through. You can use clothes hanger type wire to push through it to pull new wire through. Crackling might be a loose or intermittent touching of the wires to each other or a ground. You may have pulled the wire a little and it scraped on something sharp in the dash or door.

'05 F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 4X4 Off Road Modded Powerstroke
    Rebuild in process
    Pioneer DEH 80PRS
    Modded Linear Power LP4753IQ
    Front Woofer: Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.5"
    Front Tweeter: SEAS Neos in pods
    Back: Pioneer TS-D6802R
    Knukonceptz Karma 12ga
    Stinger HPM3 RCA's
    Big 8: PhoenixGold Oga

audiobaun is offline Premium Member audiobaun is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1410 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstroker View Post
    I pulled off the rubber hose(boot) the harness runs through and then threaded new wire through. You can use clothes hanger type wire to push through it to pull new wire through. Crackling might be a loose or intermittent touching of the wires to each other or a ground. You may have pulled the wire a little and it scraped on something sharp in the dash or door.
    This sounds about right.It is best to run good solid wiring to the new speakers,to the xover,and back to an amp if you have an amp.With those speakers, its best to run an amp to get the best sound/performance out of them.rewire the speakers properly with 16-14ga wire,and dont half-azz it, or the results end up as you have encountered...poor performance.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by audiobaun View Post
    This sounds about right.It is best to run good solid wiring to the new speakers,to the xover,and back to an amp if you have an amp.With those speakers, its best to run an amp to get the best sound/performance out of them.rewire the speakers properly with 16-14ga wire,and dont half-azz it, or the results end up as you have encountered...poor performance.
    I do have them powered off an amp, I only use the stock wire from inside the car to outside the car which is 16 gauge then the wire I bought is 14 gauge. Sorry if I have trouble explaining things i'm fairly new to all of this.

audiobaun is offline Premium Member audiobaun is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1410 Post(s)

You need to run the same gauge wire from the speaker to the crossover,and back to the amp,if you want the performance of the expensive speakers you bought, or they will perform poorly,and may possibly get damaged due to clipping issues.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)

You need to run the same gauge wire from the speaker to the crossover,and back to the amp,if you want the performance of the expensive speakers you bought, or they will perform poorly,and may possibly get damaged due to clipping issues.
    So i'll have to find a way to get the wire into the door from the cabin?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1410 Post(s)

So i'll have to find a way to get the wire into the door from the cabin?
    Be best,if you want them to perform good.I took my doors off and drilled a hole in the door, and in the cabin area, and used a grommet for both holes,and sealed with silicone.Took me a couple days by myself,and also but deadner on the doors, while I had them off,made a hell of a difference in sound, and lowered road noise,to hear the sound a bit better

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)

Be best,if you want them to perform good.I took my doors off and drilled a hole in the door, and in the cabin area, and used a grommet for both holes,and sealed with silicone.Took me a couple days by myself,and also but deadner on the doors, while I had them off,made a hell of a difference in sound, and lowered road noise,to hear the sound a bit better
    there is a little hole that goes into my cabin so I ran the wire that comes directly from amp into the door than into the crossover. Still the crackling persists, what could it be now? I checked all my connections and they're all secure and tight, ground is tight too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1410 Post(s)

Run new wires to the speaker,is all I can tell you..You are still half azzing the install.IMO

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)

Run new wires to the speaker,is all I can tell you..You are still half azzing the install.IMO
    How's it half assed? I'm not using any of the stock wiring anymore, I'm running 16g silver tinned ofc copper wire directly from the amp to the crossover, then using that same nvx wire from the crossover to the tweets, and from the cross over to the woofers. It can't be the wiring, I've checked and triple checked the wiring, nothin touching, showing, weak, there has to be another factor in this, I'm thinking maybe frequency? But the crossover should fix that right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1410 Post(s)

How's it half assed? I'm not using any of the stock wiring anymore, I'm running 16g silver tinned ofc copper wire directly from the amp to the crossover, then using that same nvx wire from the crossover to the tweets, and from the cross over to the woofers. It can't be the wiring, I've checked and triple checked the wiring, nothin touching, showing, weak, there has to be another factor in this, I'm thinking maybe frequency? But the crossover should fix that right?
    Have you checked the settings on your amp?head unit?ground wiring to be solid?Voltage setting on the amps rcas/signal in

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast