Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Question about Ground Distribution Block

JKuhnz is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Question about Ground Distribution Block

Hey guys, I'm still learning about more advanced audio systems so if this is a stupid question please bare with me.

I am upgrading the subwoofer amp in my car to a much more powerful amplifier and I was curious about what wiring I should use. I went to talk to my local audio shop and they gave me 2 feet of 4 gauge ground wire, 2 feet of 4 gauge power wire, and a ground distribution block. This block has 2 1/0 AWG in and 6 4 AWG out.

The install company told me I should replace this with my old distribution block. They want me to run my 4 AWG power wire from the battery to the 1/0 AWG input, then run 4AWG output to one amp and 8 AWG the the other. I would assume I'd use the 4 AWG ground cable they provided and attach it to the other 1/0 AWG input?

I read up on ground distribution blocks and from what I've read it didnt seem like they were used to deal with power wire. I want to make sure I didn't hear the company wrong and I won't end up blowing my system in some way

audiobaun is offline Premium Member audiobaun is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Re: Question about Ground Distribution Block

Too Vague of a question, when little is given of what amp/amps running/using,to even consider any type of assessment.Stock electrical?stock battery?size of supply wiring from the battery,to the amps distro block?Assuming its 4ga,or 8ga since wanting you to run 4?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here let me expand a bit more. Its still a stock battery and electrical system. My old system had a 760 watt 4 channel amp running to the door speakers, and an 800 watt 2 channel running to the subwoofers. The company that installed it ran a 4 AWG power wire from the battery to the rear of the vehicle into a fused distribution block. That block broke the 4 AWG into 2 separate 8 AWG wires.

The new amp I have is a 1400 watt monoblock amp. So I went to the company that installed it the first time and they said I would be fine keeping the 4 AWG wire running from the battery. But they recommended I upgrade the small amount of 8 AWG wiring that used to be running to my less powerful subwoofer amp. They picked out a ground distribution block for me as well as 2 feet of 4 AWG power and ground wires and told me thats all I would really need to upgrade.

I assume they want me to take out my old distribution block ((1) 4 AWG in, (2) 8 AWG out), put in this new ground distribution block, and run the 4 AWG power wire from the battery to an input, then run (1) 8 AWG wire out to my 4 channel amp, and (1) 4 AWG wire out to power my new 1400 watt amp.

I'm not sure whether to connect the 4 AWG ground wire they gave me to the amplifier or the distribution block.

Let me know if you need any more information

IonRL205 is offline DJ h4z4rdes IonRL205 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

I would run 1/0 gauge from battery to dist block, then run 4 gauge to each amp, and then ground each amp to your chassis with 4 gauge

Headunit - Pioneer DEH-P8300UB
    Subs - None
    Sub Amp - 2x Crescendo 3kwp
    Front Stage - Polk Audio db651 Coaxial
    Front Amp - None

Quote Originally Posted by zako View Post
    Most properly done 15 inch subwoofers are not suited for car audio use simply due to box size requirements.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IonRL205 View Post
    I would run 1/0 gauge from battery to dist block, then run 4 gauge to each amp, and then ground each amp to your chassis with 4 gauge
    So the ground distribution blocks are capable of handling power wire?

IonRL205 is offline DJ h4z4rdes IonRL205 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JKuhnz View Post
    So the ground distribution blocks are capable of handling power wire?
    Well a power wire and a ground wire is the same thing, just got a different color jacket so you know which is which. Speaker wire is the same thing too, just a lot smaller gauge.

So i'd take that block they gave you and use it in place of your old one. Use 1/0 gauge from your battery to a 1/0 gauge opening on the dist block, and run 4 gauge from that to both of your amps, and just ground your amps to the chassis. (also with 4 gauge)

Headunit - Pioneer DEH-P8300UB
    Subs - None
    Sub Amp - 2x Crescendo 3kwp
    Front Stage - Polk Audio db651 Coaxial
    Front Amp - None

Quote Originally Posted by zako View Post
    Most properly done 15 inch subwoofers are not suited for car audio use simply due to box size requirements.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IonRL205 View Post
    Well a power wire and a ground wire is the same thing, just got a different color jacket so you know which is which. Speaker wire is the same thing too, just a lot smaller gauge.

So i'd take that block they gave you and use it in place of your old one. Use 1/0 gauge from your battery to a 1/0 gauge opening on the dist block, and run 4 gauge from that to both of your amps, and just ground your amps to the chassis. (also with 4 gauge)
    This answers my question exactly, thank you so much!

Closed Thread