Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Reload Thread: At what point is disconnecting battery negative really not that important?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: At what point is disconnecting battery negative really not that important?

If your moving amp power or ground, unhook it first. It doesn't take much of a mistake to ruin your day. Everything else I leave it hooked up. But I've also learned from previous mistakes how to go about that.

ckunke002 is offline Senior VIP Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

So is there any difference between disconnecting inline fuse by battery from disconnecting battery neg? Because some people say do both... fuse is a whole lot easier to take out and put back in!

ewadz3006 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Sort of a thread jack, but i once was out mudding in my truck. Bouncing so hard i broke the crappy battery strap. Batt ends up upside down and welds the bolt for the pos. Cable to the top of my valve cover. That was almost 3 years ago and its still there.

I feel sorry for those who do not drink, when they wake up on the morning that's the best they're going to feel all day.-Frank Sinatra

2004 mercury mountaineer
    Hu Kenwood excelon x996
    Fronts Incriminator audio comps
    Front amp Aq 120.4
    sub amp Aq2200d
    subs 2 sundown sa 12's @ 32hz
    wiring knu 1/0 ofc

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Lolol ^ That's awesome.

So any answers to the battery neg vs. fuse disconnect question?

tommydh is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

May I suggest using a ground bar with a single 1/0 from battery to the bar? Then all you need to do is un hook at that point and isolate the end from contacting medal Islide my loom over the end then tape up when I need to do this. I had a similar issue but mine was more that the Mini batteries are located near fire wall and did not like being that close to the hood.

NASTY08IMPALA is online now CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ckunke002 View Post
    So is there any difference between disconnecting inline fuse by battery from disconnecting battery neg? Because some people say do both... fuse is a whole lot easier to take out and put back in!
    i always pull al my fuses when moving stuff or installing ..never unhooked my battery unless of course im removing.the battery(s) for some reason

7. Likes brooklynjoy2008 liked this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tommydh View Post
    May I suggest using a ground bar with a single 1/0 from battery to the bar? Then all you need to do is un hook at that point and isolate the end from contacting medal Islide my loom over the end then tape up when I need to do this. I had a similar issue but mine was more that the Mini batteries are located near fire wall and did not like being that close to the hood.
    What is a ground bar? Thanks for the suggestion

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Disconnecting the ground protects entire electrical system from short circuit eg. airbag discharg accidentally or frying some sensor in more modern vehicle. Removing fus only prevents that circuit from energizing but still potential to short other circuits if screw ran threw or many other f-ups that can happen without thinking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

what exactly are u wanting to do that u think u gota unhook the battery neg?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NASTY08IMPALA View Post
    i always pull al my fuses when moving stuff or installing ..never unhooked my battery unless of course im removing.the battery(s) for some reason
    Thanks for the reply. The way I see it, if i'm moving around amps a far better (and easier) way to prevent circuit issues is to pull that inline fuse and maybe for extra measure pull the amp fuses until inline is reinstalled. Does this seem like a good idea?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

What is a ground bar? Thanks for the suggestion
    A ground bar is usualy a piece of copper you can get from electrical supply house that would allo you to run all your grounds to withou connecting to battery. It is similar to a distro block but no fuses.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

what exactly are u wanting to do that u think u gota unhook the battery neg?
    Uninstall amp, reinstall new amp in its place, take out and put in power and ground wires into dist blocks... basically just that stuff

---------- Post added at 03:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by tommydh View Post
    Disconnecting the ground protects entire electrical system from short circuit eg. airbag discharg accidentally or frying some sensor in more modern vehicle. Removing fus only prevents that circuit from energizing but still potential to short other circuits if screw ran threw or many other f-ups that can happen without thinking.
    If screw ran through? What do you mean by that? I do see what you are saying though

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

yea i just changed out 2 batteries added aluminum buss bars to them and moved amp and few other things and i never unhooked my battery ..im sure theres plenty of stories off people still finding ways to fvck **** up ...i guess if.u wana be extra careful u can unhook it

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

yea i just changed out 2 batteries added aluminum buss bars to them and moved amp and few other things and i never unhooked my battery ..im sure theres plenty of stories off people still finding ways to fvck **** up ...i guess if.u wana be extra careful u can unhook it
    Yeah for this install I might just undo it, but good to know for future reference when I don't really need to do it. Thanks for the advice!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Uninstall amp, reinstall new amp in its place, take out and put in power and ground wires into dist blocks... basically just that stuff

---------- Post added at 03:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 AM ----------

If screw ran through? What do you mean by that? I do see what you are saying though
    If using a screw to bolt something down or just screw driver slipping and hitting existing wires. Im an electrician by trade I have seen a million different accidents that have occured from accidental stupidity I call it. Drilling through something without checking the other side is a common one. I drive a car that the electrical system is sensitive and shop labor is expensive so I take precautions as much as I can. Ever see a tech take an airbag to the head while working on a dash I have not only does it **** for the poor bastard that got hit but its an expensive screw up. And for all that ay they never have screwed up you either dont do anything or just havent been doing it long enough.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast