Will a crunch power one 2000w amp fry two alpine type r 12's swr-1221d

FamousMassacre is offline Team Tantric

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Re: 2 alpine type r 12's

Quote Originally Posted by Warmachine9210 View Post
    Will a crunch power one 2000w amp fry two alpine type r 12's swr-1221d

No, you'd be giving the subs 500rms each.

You can give the type-Rs 1000rms of clean power, but still that's pushing it.

Do you have the subwoofers right now? Or are you looking at different subs? I wouldn't recommend the Alpine TypeRs.

-Team Tantric Sounds-
    -Team Ampere Audio-
    Subs: 1 15" Tantric HDD - 4.5cf 33hz
    Amp: American Bass vfl2680

Warmachine9210 is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That's what I got I'm not really lookin at the moment they rattle my Cadillac pretty good I don't have my gain or nothin set high or nothin

Bakesbaked is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

that will work, and unlike him i would recommend them for the money they hit hard what generation are they?

if they are 4th generation or older i would get the r1200 and just turn it down, if its the newest one, those are 1000rms all day, so the t1500 works good that was my old set up, or look into crescendo audios bass clef and or sundown audio if you want to dish out some money.

audiobaun is online now Premium Member audiobaun is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

That's what I got I'm not really lookin at the moment they rattle my Cadillac pretty good I don't have my gain or nothin set high or nothin
    Absolutely Nothing wrong with Type R subs..They actually Get Down!I went to the Texas Heat Wave last year, and a Guy had a Pair of tens running @1/2 ohm,just a little over 2k, and they were Slammin!You get a well made Tuned Box,youd be surprised what those subs can do,and the price for a pair, is well worth the money,from my demo experience.

6. Likes Bakesbaked liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by audiobaun View Post
    Absolutely Nothing wrong with Type R subs..They actually Get Down!I went to the Texas Heat Wave last year, and a Guy had a Pair of tens running @1/2 ohm,just a little over 2k, and they were Slammin!You get a well made Tuned Box,youd be surprised what those subs can do,and the price for a pair, is well worth the money,from my demo experience.
    I wasn't saying they were bad, I have just heard stories about them being unreliable.

They are a great SPL sub for the price.

audiobaun is online now Premium Member audiobaun is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FamousMassacre View Post
    I wasn't saying they were bad, I have just heard stories about them being unreliable.

They are a great SPL sub for the price.
    Those stories are untrue..They are very reliable subs,and can take a beating,and sound really great in a well tuned ported enclosure.Hearing things from others,and not experiencing them for yourself,and commenting without experiencing,gives False information to those that can benefit from a affordable budgeted buy.But yes, they are a nice sub for the price..I myself almost recently bought a pair rather than the Dayton DVC HO..I kinda wished I had..lol,.Im stating that they perform better than the Daytons from my experience from my application.They can handle the RMS daily,no problemGreat subs

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have the type d's that say swr 1221-d on the back form what I read they rms at 300 and peak at 1000 they are in my Cadillac I'm jus doin it to have beats nothin fancy but I wanna make sure my amp won't fry them

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is the link or picture of the subs that I have

---------- Post added at 06:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 PM ----------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I have the type d's that say swr 1221-d on the back form what I read they rms at 300 and peak at 1000 they are in my Cadillac I'm jus doin it to have beats nothin fancy but I wanna make sure my amp won't fry them
    I thought you had Type-R subs?

That amp is 1,000RMS.
    The subs are 300 each.

I'm pretty sure they will be okay because I believe crunch amps are a little over rated, I'd expect maybe 800-900 rms from them.

You'll be fine.

@mylows10 make sure I'm not going to blow up his car please. lol

mylows10 is online now Cali DC PHD & Tantric rep

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    463 Post(s)

the old type r's are rated at 400 rms but will take a bit more if gains are set right ,but the grunch amp 2000 watts ,which crunch amp do you have ? most are very over rated ,but the groundpounder amps aren't to bad .

pioneer avhx 5500 dvd, gzpa 1.4000 x 2
    ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mylows10 View Post
    the old type r's are rated at 400 rms but will take a bit more if gains are set right ,but the grunch amp 2000 watts ,which crunch amp do you have ? most are very over rated ,but the groundpounder amps aren't to bad .
    He said that he has Type-D subs.

mylows10 is online now Cali DC PHD & Tantric rep

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    463 Post(s)

ok i think the subs are d2 subs and the amp is a powerzone which is junk ,the subs wont run on that amp in bridged or mono block ,unless you wire them at 4 ohms stereo if a 2 channel amp or 8 ohms if a mono block ,either way ,not enough power

pioneer avhx 5500 dvd, gzpa 1.4000 x 2
    ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com

sjv13 is offline StayStrange

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

There is no such thing as a "Type-D." The "SWR" means "SubWoofer R" (as in Type-R). The "12" in "1221-d" means 12 inches. The second "2" in 1221-d means 2 ohms. The second "1" in 1221-d means 1st generation. The "d" in 1221-d means dual voice coil. Hope this helps.

I have an swr-1243d (so that means type-r, 12 inches, 4 ohms, 3rd generation, dvc). I have it on an Alpine MRX-M50 giving it 500 cleans watts at 2 ohms. I have the feeling I might be working the amp a little too hard though. I have a 4v preout deck and my gain is over half way up. And then on the deck I have subwoofer level at +3 on a scale of -25 up to +6. No loudness, no EQing below 80hz, no bass boost. Anyways, moral of the story is... on some super bassy songs if I turn it up a little louder (say to 54 or 55) than what I set my gain at (50/62) then the amp shuts off. I would expect that to happen though, seeing as I'm pushing it so hard. Oh well. My type R does pound ALMOST enough to my liking an does a fine job for me 95% of the time.

I have a feeling that maybe the 1st generation of Type-R which you have may be rated for less (300rms) than what most people realize. Or Alpine just underrated it and then put it at what it's rating is actually closer to for the generations after it. But I really dont know that for sure, and I'm just spit ballin here.

Quick question for @audiobahn ;
    I know the Type-R is an SPL oriented sub, but sadly it's the only car sub I have heard (my friend has two on 550rms a piece though). Would a more SQ oriented sub PUNCH harder, or is that all just a matter of the box? I know that an SQ sub will be "more accurate" and "closer to what the artist intended" but what does that really mean for me? Thanks for any help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sjv13 View Post
    I know the Type-R is an SPL oriented sub, but sadly it's the only car sub I have heard (my friend has two on 550rms a piece though). Would a more SQ oriented sub PUNCH harder, or is that all just a matter of the box? I know that an SQ sub will be "more accurate" and "closer to what the artist intended" but what does that really mean for me? Thanks for any help.
    The punch would be from a ported box.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast