Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Need Help,Noob Question Wiring 3 Amps, Two (4) channel Amps and 1 Monoblock

LaidD3athl0rd is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Need Help,Noob Question Wiring 3 Amps, Two (4) channel Amps and 1 Monoblock

If anyone is interested please help.

I am new to car audio but i have always been interested, after just receiving my first car i am ready to start. Know the basics, just have a few questions.

I have currently 2 Amps Setup.

1x Clarion 800rms monoblock, powering 2 12" Pioneer Champion Subs.

1x Pioneer 4 channel, powering 2 front Alpine Type R splits and the rear 2 , 2 way pioneer 6" speakers.

I want to place another 4 speakers on my parcel shelf covering the boot, i drive a hatch and i want to tilt my parcel shelf forward when my boot is open to project music out the rear.

I clearly need another 4 channel Amp, can this been done etc .. i have 2 pre rca outputs on my deck and i should be upgrading to a better deck with 3 rca outs ( around 4-5 line volt).

Do i just connect Y splitters to my current RCA leads until i have split 10-12 connections into a final 3, for both red and white connections?

As long as i keep the reds with the reds, and the whites with the whites is this upgrade possibly?

alexn09 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Need Help,Noob Question Wiring 3 Amps, Two (4) channel Amps and 1 Monoblock

Your mono block amp may have an RCA output that you can just daisy-chain off of.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh yes of course, thanks for this advice.

I don't have any experience in daisy chaining amps to one another, i would be daisy chaining the new 4 channel amp to the monoblock amp correct? ..
    I have 4 rca outputs on my mono, 2 are master and 2 are slave.

What would be the purpose or benefit from daisy chaining the amps to one another?

Instead of using Y splitters and taking it back to the head unit.

keep_hope_alive is online now Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)

first off, welcome.

second, if you tilt the parcel shelf forward, you want to have the speakers mounted to it in enclosures. you need to keep the rear airspace totally separate from the front airspace otherwise you get cancellation and just wasted effort.

third, yes, you can run three amps. getting signals to them is best done with a new head unit - buy that first. then, once you have a HU with 6-channel outputs, get your second 4 channel amp and rear parcel shelf speakers.

you don't want to split your HU outputs more than twice - because it reduces the impedance load and can damage the HU outputs.

if you want to keep your HU, then just get a line driver or EQ that has 2 inputs and 6 outputs.

if your 4 channel amps can run off 2 inputs, then you're set. if not, then you'll still need y-adapters at each amp. i recommend the kind with one female and two male connectors so the split is at the amp (saves cabling).

you did not provide model numbers so we cannot verify what your amps can or cannot do.

have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

*My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html]
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html
    *1998 Astro Van Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/567468-kha-does-spl-build-1996-astro-van.html

keep_hope_alive is online now Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)

lastly, most 4 channel amps can operate at 2 ohm loads, so you can connect two 4 ohm speakers to each output (for a total of 8 speakers powered off on 4 channel amp). the result is a hotter amp - which can be an issue in warm climates. you also lose some ability to adjust level of each speaker pair/type as well as independent crossover for each speaker. i recommend you idea to have a second 4 channel amp - but in the meantime, you could try to run all 8 speakers off one 4 channel amp.

have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

*My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html]
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html
    *1998 Astro Van Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/567468-kha-does-spl-build-1996-astro-van.html

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thank you for your advice..

My 4 channel amplifier can operate under 2 ohm loads with 8 speakers but the rms output would be too low and not worth it per speaker... i am definitely going to run another 4 channel amp to maximize the potential of the new speakers, i am going for 2 ( 6x9's) and 2 (6"s), all in the parcel shelf.. this will give me a total of 6 speakers in rear of the car, 4 in the parcel shelf and the other 2 which are already in the side shelf's.

I don't think I'll have to worry about the airspace between the front and rear of the car because there are currently 2 speakers mounted in the side shelf's that i think sound amazing and don't interfere with my fronts. If this did become a problem i would just lower the speakers levels so there is a steady balance throughout the car.

My current Amps aren't very new so bare with me. i am very satisfied with them at this stage.

Pioneer 4 channel GM - 6100F Amplifier
    And
    Clarion DPX 1800 Mono Block Amplifier.

Closed Thread