Closed Thread

Reload Thread: New Here, Noob Question

3Stang is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

New Here, Noob Question

Please forgive me for the noob question lol. So anyway I am installing my 12" Alpine Type S running at 2 ohms in one of my cars. I am using 0 gauge wire which I know is over kill for my 500 watt rms amp but I got it just in case one day I wanted to go bigger with my sub and amp so that I dont have to tear the car up again. So the problem I ran into was that my Amp, an Alpine MRP-M500 has very small terminals so there is absolutely no way that the 0 gauge is going to work on that. So I bought a distribution block so that I could use a 100 amp fuse to connect my 0 gauge to my 8 gauge so that I can use my amp. So I would like to know if this sounds ok. Now, for grounding, I was just planning on using 8 guage just for the ground unfused. So I dont know if it is bad to use a tiny ground compared to the power but I just wanted to ask here before I connect the cables to the battery. Everything is installed I just need to plug it in now. Just waiting to here some advice before doing so. Thanks.

Knowmadic is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Re: New Here, Noob Question

What I usually do if the terminal is too small is to twist the cable a good bit and then get a knife to shave off the copper until it can fit. I know this is a waste of precious wire but you got to do what you got to do.

Kingstroker is offline Mr Dique

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

if you're going 8 ga to your amp then 8 ga from will be okay. Make sure you fuse the 0 ga within 18" from your battery, no need to fuse the ground. I'm going to use a stinger maxi fuse distribution block so when I need to disconnect I can easily pull the fuse.

'05 F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 4X4 Off Road Modded Powerstroke
    Rebuild in process
    Pioneer DEH 80PRS
    Modded Linear Power LP4753IQ
    Front Woofer: Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.5"
    Front Tweeter: SEAS Neos in pods
    Back: Pioneer TS-D6802R
    Knukonceptz Karma 12ga
    Stinger HPM3 RCA's
    Big 8: PhoenixGold Oga

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstroker View Post
    if you're going 8 ga to your amp then 8 ga from will be okay. Make sure you fuse the 0 ga within 18" from your battery, no need to fuse the ground. I'm going to use a stinger maxi fuse distribution block so when I need to disconnect I can easily pull the fuse.
    I have a 150 amp fuse in the beginning of the 0 guage. Thanks guys!

gckless is online now CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

If you have a distro block, here's how you do it. Fuse the 1/0ga with the 150A that you already have close to the battery. At the distro block, or directly after, fuse the 8ga with 50A, no higher than 60A. You don't need to fuse the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/578701-1999-chevrolet-blazer.html

6. Likes garretttt4 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gckless View Post
    If you have a distro block, here's how you do it. Fuse the 1/0ga with the 150A that you already have close to the battery. At the distro block, or directly after, fuse the 8ga with 50A, no higher than 60A. You don't need to fuse the ground.
    Why no higher than 60A? Is his amp not fused?

Rebuild in process
    Pioneer DEH 80PRS
    Knukonceptz Karma 12ga
    Stinger HPM3 RCA's

mclerico83 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

for the amp as that amp would never kill a 150 amp fuse

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

60A is the rating of the 8ga wire. If his amp is fused higher than that then he should be using 4ga wire.

15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/578701-1999-chevrolet-blazer.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

60A is the rating of the 8ga wire. If his amp is fused higher than that then he should be using 4ga wire.
    If your amp is fused you fuse the wire ratting not current drawn
    I use this guide from the12volt.com

1/0 - 350
    2 - 225
    4 - 150
    8 - 100
    10 - 60

Rebuild in process
    Pioneer DEH 80PRS
    Knukonceptz Karma 12ga
    Stinger HPM3 RCA's

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

If your amp is fused you fuse the wire ratting not current drawn
    I use this guide from the12volt.com

1/0 - 350
    2 - 225
    4 - 150
    8 - 100
    10 - 60
    The wire you buy should come with a capacity rating, fuse for that size or smaller. If the amp is fused higher than the wire capacity, you NEED to use a bigger gauge wire, which is why I said what I did.

I don't know if I trust the above chart, because most 1/0ga OFC wire comes with a 300A rating. The above chart might be for less than 5' or something like that.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I put a 60 in and everything works. Except, my DNX5120 kenwood head unit has the sub options greyed out. But there is bass?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The wire you buy should come with a capacity rating, fuse for that size or smaller. If the amp is fused higher than the wire capacity, you NEED to use a bigger gauge wire, which is why I said what I did.

I don't know if I trust the above chart, because most 1/0ga OFC wire comes with a 300A rating. The above chart might be for less than 5' or something like that.
    I'm curious as to where you are finding these ratings, Knuconceptz rates their 1/0 at 375 and their 8 ga at 60 but that is at 20'. That was the only rating I could find. I stand by my numbers for quality wire. If the insulation thickness is = to or > than your conductor then I would go with yours.

Rebuild in process
    Pioneer DEH 80PRS
    Knukonceptz Karma 12ga
    Stinger HPM3 RCA's

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

I'm curious as to where you are finding these ratings, Knuconceptz rates their 1/0 at 375 and their 8 ga at 60 but that is at 20'. That was the only rating I could find. I stand by my numbers for quality wire. If the insulation thickness is = to or > than your conductor then I would go with yours.
    Knu's is oversize, which is why the 1/0 is 375. This is why you should go by each manufacturer's rating.

Also interested as to how you are still sticking by 100A on the 8ga, when Knu's is oversize and they still rate it at 60A. Yes it will handle bursts higher than that, especially if it's shorter lengths, but then again so will the fuses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Knu's is oversize, which is why the 1/0 is 375. This is why you should go by each manufacturer's rating.

Also interested as to how you are still sticking by 100A on the 8ga, when Knu's is oversize and they still rate it at 60A. Yes it will handle bursts higher than that, especially if it's shorter lengths, but then again so will the fuses.
    Out of all the manufacturers Knu was the only one the listed amps. I don't think I would go 100 amps for 20' but I would for < 5', then again I don't think I would use less than 4 on anything
    here's a better chart
    http://74.50.20.110/wiringdiagram.jpg

Rebuild in process
    Pioneer DEH 80PRS
    Knukonceptz Karma 12ga
    Stinger HPM3 RCA's

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Out of all the manufacturers Knu was the only one the listed amps. I don't think I would go 100 amps for 20' but I would for < 5', then again I don't think I would use less than 4 on anything
    here's a better chart
    http://74.50.20.110/wiringdiagram.jpg
    I'd agree with you, though personally I wouldn't use a 100A fuse. Theoretically it would be fine, maybe I'm just cautious. I don't really like that chart either though, seems really conservative. Theres so many variables in not only the wire, but also the environment, that its hard to nail down an across-the-board rating. Personally, any wire I buy I will contact the manufacturer if they don't list it.

Closed Thread