Closed Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Reload Thread: I'm at my wit's end...

  1. #1
    Ryry's Avatar
    Ryry is offline Junior Member



    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Davie, Florida
    Posts
    3
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    I'm at my wit's end...

    Hello,

    My name is Ryan, I'm new to these forums and I'm at my wit's end with my car stereo system. I am in dire need of some experienced advice on my situation.

    My Situation:
    I drive a 2007 Chevy HHR with a car stereo system my Step Dad installed for me back in '07. This system only included a 12" sub woofer, an amplifier and two additional speakers in the trunk. It worked wonderfully until I ditched the CDs and caved into buying an iPod back in '08. Unfortunately, my stock stereo did not support an iPod, so I bought and installed an aftermarket head unit. And well, everything worked amazingly until a few months ago.

    One night while blasting the music at my normal volume level, the stereo shut off and restarted itself. It continued to do this an endless cycle until I turned the volume down. Since then, if my stereo gets even remotely loud, it does this.

    Theeeen another issue presented itself. My dashboard lights and gauges go simply crazy when its loud. I'm talkin' going from shining bright to turning off, or even my speed/fuel gauges going to 0 when I'm clearly doing 70 mph on a full tank. It's even got as bad where this happens and the stereo is barely on.

    I took my car into Geek Squad and the guy told me right off the bat that I had installed the wrong wire harness when I installed the aftermarket stereo 4 years ago. Apparently, certain GM vehicles have a "Computer System" in their stock stereo, that if taken out, needs to be replaced with the proper wiring harness that holds the replacement "computer system". He installed the proper wire harness for me and apparently it made my issue 10x worse. In which case he took it out and put my car back to the way it was.

    Now I'm sitting here and my question is, what could possibly be wrong with my stereo system? I'm not too keen on the exact specs of everything I have installed, but I'm hoping the information I gave could be enough for some leads? Please help!

    Thanks,
    Ryan







  2. #2
    05trailblazer's Avatar
    05trailblazer is offline k33p groaning son :)



    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Dallas,TX
    Posts
    2,044
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: I'm at my wit's end...

    i dont see why after four years it would mess up. its most likely something else in your electrical.,



    HU:Pioneer 80-PRS
    Fnt&Rear Spkrs: 8 Neo-Pro-v.2 soon
    Mid Amp: Sax-50.4& Sax-200.4
    Subs: 4 Sundown Audio 18s Z v.4 tuned at 15hrtz
    Amp: 2*NS-1s
    batts:,xs2500,xs3000 x20
    wire:0g OFC Audio Technix
    alt: 3 HO alts from??? from mechman or singer?

  3. #3
    NoKings's Avatar
    NoKings is offline Member



    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    63
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: I'm at my wit's end...

    My buddy had a 2001 S10 start doing the same thing about six months after I installed his system. The tardfest stealership mechanic he took it to said my power wire was shorting (it wasn't) and that was causing the dash to flip out and the truck to die. They charged him $700 for a new alt and battery before I could look at it. He got it home fine and went to start it the next day....nothing.

    Needless to say after having my work scrutinized by an idiot I went to said friends house with my DMM to figure this thing out. His dash was clicking, gauges were all over, system sounded terrible WHEN it would play.

    I grabbed his positive batt terminal and yanked it tight, problem fixed. New terminal hardware and some baking soda/water mix and his truck has never worked better, and it only cost $2.39 at Vato Zone.

    Loose terminals sink ships bro.




  4. Likes ThatChevyGuy liked this post
  5. #4
    garretttt4's Avatar
    garretttt4 is offline big pimpin



    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Watertown sd
    Posts
    2,388
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

    Re: I'm at my wit's end...

    Prolly not gunna fix it, but I was having problems with my gauges and lights would go out randomly. But I had to replace the stock ground. Just replaced it with some 4 gauge I had and works good. Somethin to try and only costs like 5$ if u have to buy like 2 feet of wire and it can't hurt.....



    01 Silverado 2500hd (gasser. :/)
    Coming soon
    Four custom mmats juggernaut 12's.
    Amp undecided..?


    Bought from: Jayzbent, mylows10, logan527, Timmy13091, wingsfreak9, Underfire
    Traded with: mylows10(x2), knowmadic
    Sold to: 03silverado03, foomanchu, heel4lyfe, Timmy13091, wErd

  6. #5
    mylows10's Avatar
    mylows10 is online now Dc,tantric,singer,phd rep mylows10 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

    mylows10 is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    monterey , ca
    Age
    51
    Posts
    19,084
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    9
    Mentioned
    497 Post(s)

    Re: I'm at my wit's end...

    i'd say check the battery when the system is one ,sounds like it's not holding the charge very well, or even charging .i had a issue like this in our blazer ,what it ended up being was that the system was too powerful for the stock electrical so it kept popping some diode in the alt




    pioneer avhx 5500 dvd, gzpa 1.4000 x 2
    ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com

  7. #6
    sjv13's Avatar
    sjv13 is offline StayStrange



    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Lansing, MI
    Posts
    685
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Re: I'm at my wit's end...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryry View Post
    Hello,



    One night while blasting the music at my normal volume level, the stereo shut off and restarted itself. It continued to do this an endless cycle until I turned the volume down. Since then, if my stereo gets even remotely loud, it does this.

    Theeeen another issue presented itself. My dashboard lights and gauges go simply crazy when its loud. I'm talkin' going from shining bright to turning off, or even my speed/fuel gauges going to 0 when I'm clearly doing 70 mph on a full tank. It's even got as bad where this happens and the stereo is barely on.
    This makes it seem to me like a ground wire somewhere wriggled itself loose. Check all the power wires in the circuit (from the battery and from the amp).




  8. #7
    Ryry's Avatar
    Ryry is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Davie, Florida
    Posts
    3
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: I'm at my wit's end...

    Thank you for the replies! I'm excited these tips all sound like something I could handle myself.

    I'll give me some of these a whirl tomorrow and report back.

    Thanks again!

    - Ryan




  9. #8
    Warren89's Avatar
    Warren89 is offline Member



    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    55
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: I'm at my wit's end...

    Sounds like a voltage regulator. It controls the amount of volts the car gets. Old cars had them on the alternator but most new cars use the on board computers. To control it.




  10. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    39
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: I'm at my wit's end...

    Simple really, better electrical! HO alt, extra batts, bigger wires!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryry View Post
    Hello,

    My name is Ryan, I'm new to these forums and I'm at my wit's end with my car stereo system. I am in dire need of some experienced advice on my situation.

    My Situation:
    I drive a 2007 Chevy HHR with a car stereo system my Step Dad installed for me back in '07. This system only included a 12" sub woofer, an amplifier and two additional speakers in the trunk. It worked wonderfully until I ditched the CDs and caved into buying an iPod back in '08. Unfortunately, my stock stereo did not support an iPod, so I bought and installed an aftermarket head unit. And well, everything worked amazingly until a few months ago.

    One night while blasting the music at my normal volume level, the stereo shut off and restarted itself. It continued to do this an endless cycle until I turned the volume down. Since then, if my stereo gets even remotely loud, it does this.

    Theeeen another issue presented itself. My dashboard lights and gauges go simply crazy when its loud. I'm talkin' going from shining bright to turning off, or even my speed/fuel gauges going to 0 when I'm clearly doing 70 mph on a full tank. It's even got as bad where this happens and the stereo is barely on.

    I took my car into Geek Squad and the guy told me right off the bat that I had installed the wrong wire harness when I installed the aftermarket stereo 4 years ago. Apparently, certain GM vehicles have a "Computer System" in their stock stereo, that if taken out, needs to be replaced with the proper wiring harness that holds the replacement "computer system". He installed the proper wire harness for me and apparently it made my issue 10x worse. In which case he took it out and put my car back to the way it was.

    Now I'm sitting here and my question is, what could possibly be wrong with my stereo system? I'm not too keen on the exact specs of everything I have installed, but I'm hoping the information I gave could be enough for some leads? Please help!

    Thanks,
    Ryan




  11. #10
    Lexicon740iL's Avatar
    Lexicon740iL is offline AGM FTW!



    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    187
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: I'm at my wit's end...

    Go to your nearest Batteries Plus and have your battery load tested. I see things acting very weird when the Battery voltage is low or the CCA's aren't there. "I Work in the battery industry"

    It would be a good first place to start.

    When the current is low on certain BMW's the transmission goes into limp mode and doesn't shift past second, Various gauges and systems like dynamic stability or 4x4 are disabled. These things can go haywire when a Battery/Voltage Regulator/alternator are failing
    This sounds like some of the symptoms you are experiencing.




  12. #11
    Warren89's Avatar
    Warren89 is offline Member



    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    55
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: I'm at my wit's end...

    Though that would help in general it's not necessarily going to fix the problem. He's had the system for awhile with no issue so I believe its safe to assume his stock electrical was sufficient for his set up.




  13. #12
    Warren89's Avatar
    Warren89 is offline Member



    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    55
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: I'm at my wit's end...

    My comment is directed at silent assassin




  14. #13
    Ryry's Avatar
    Ryry is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Davie, Florida
    Posts
    3
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: I'm at my wit's end...

    Well, I loosened all the ground connections, cleaned and re-tightened them. They weren't really dirty, but I tried it anyway. The system could go much louder this time, but the gauges are still jumping and flickering on me at high levels. It also shuts off.

    FYI - I forgot to mention that I'm using a new battery as of 3 months ago. I woke up one morning and my car was dead. I figured after 5 years it was time to replace it, so i did.

    What do you guys think is worth checking next?

    - Ryan




  15. #14
    ThatChevyGuy's Avatar
    ThatChevyGuy is offline i heart Jager



    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    12,321
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

    Re: I'm at my wit's end...

    Quote Originally Posted by NoKings View Post
    My buddy had a 2001 S10 start doing the same thing about six months after I installed his system. The tardfest stealership mechanic he took it to said my power wire was shorting (it wasn't) and that was causing the dash to flip out and the truck to die. They charged him $700 for a new alt and battery before I could look at it. He got it home fine and went to start it the next day....nothing.

    Needless to say after having my work scrutinized by an idiot I went to said friends house with my DMM to figure this thing out. His dash was clicking, gauges were all over, system sounded terrible WHEN it would play.

    I grabbed his positive batt terminal and yanked it tight, problem fixed. New terminal hardware and some baking soda/water mix and his truck has never worked better, and it only cost $2.39 at Vato Zone.

    Loose terminals sink ships bro.
    and i thought i was the only one who called auto zone that! awesome....(im not racist, but there is always some hispanics buying chrome vents or rolls of chrome or exhaust tips)



    REFS:
    Squeak9798, Kumbos310w6, BigBangTheory, Jmanpc, MillzThaYungin, WLDock, -Leister-, ThomasG, J31Rob (and a few more I have forgotten)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spider Monkey View Post
    eat my asshole you insignificant bastard child of a retarded dingleberry cunt wrinkle fuck toy
    Quote Originally Posted by subzero View Post
    her pussy better be that nicest pussy you ever ever ever had. she better suck, swallow, jack off, eat ass and snatch, make sammiwich, do yard work and fix the vehicals while nude. Because a bitch like that is definately gonna cause alot of stress in your life, even thou she keeps your wallet and your balls drained.
    Quote Originally Posted by 05fronty View Post
    bitch you better swallow and not make a mess

  16. Likes NoKings liked this post
  17. #15
    audiobaun's Avatar
    audiobaun is offline Premium Member audiobaun is a Supporting Member of the forum!



    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    rockwall,Tx
    Posts
    6,576
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

    Re: I'm at my wit's end...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryry View Post
    Well, I loosened all the ground connections, cleaned and re-tightened them. They weren't really dirty, but I tried it anyway. The system could go much louder this time, but the gauges are still jumping and flickering on me at high levels. It also shuts off.

    FYI - I forgot to mention that I'm using a new battery as of 3 months ago. I woke up one morning and my car was dead. I figured after 5 years it was time to replace it, so i did.

    What do you guys think is worth checking next?

    - Ryan
    If you have the time, And someone to drive you to an auto store/alternator ,starter sales place, Id take the alternator off, and get it tested..It may have a bad regulator,or something,not shelling out the proper voltage/worn out..If it is in fact no good, id get the largest amp alt you can buy without getting an ho alternator, unless you have the funds to buy one.Id get the alt tested next




Closed Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Im at my wits end..please help
    By 07ramjam in forum Subwoofers
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 03-26-2009, 09:40 AM
  2. Look At My Post Please!!!
    By ArcaneParadise in forum Subwoofers
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-08-2006, 11:29 AM
  3. whoo haha the kids at my school
    By flyasspimp in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 11-28-2003, 03:35 AM
  4. there are some transformers at my old work
    By AScreenName in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-15-2003, 06:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum