Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Need some installation help

Huntsman is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Need some installation help

Hey guys I got a 98 cherokee I bought some polk audio db651 got them all around 4 speakers.

Im looking to amp them and I also got a hifonics atlas subwoofer 900rms 1800max 4ohm dual voice coil I want to put that baby in as well. But since this is my first time doing this stuff I am learning as I go, I put the polk speakers in to see how they play and sound and it sounds alot better than what I had before but now I want to amp them.

Also I have a aftermarket head unit it was already installed when I bought the car. the head unit is a jvc kd-g140 I would post a link but it does not allow me.

I was thinking of using 2 amps one 4 channel amp for the speakers and one monoblock amp for the sub but the specs for the head unit show preamp outputs 2 channel so Im guessing I can only hook up one amp ?

mlstrass is offline Shaggy DOA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Re: Need some installation help

Your HU only has 1 set of preouts, but "assuming" when setting the RCA's to REAR that they pass a full signal then you could split that to each amp. HPF on the comps amp and LPF on the sub amp.

Why hifonics sub?? Much better out there...

keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)

look for a 4 channel amp that has two key features:

1. a switch to let all four channels work from a two channel input.
    2. RCA pre-outs that can be sent to the sub amp

these are common features, but not all amps have them. ensuring you have these features will simply your installation. you will just run one RCA pair to the 4 channel amp then another pair from the 4 channel amp to the sub amp.

alternatively, the sub amp could be first and have pre-outs to feed the 4 channel. if the 4 channel doesn't have a 2 channel input option, they you need RCA y-adapters to fill all four inputs from two.

don't forget to buy a decent dual amp install kit, it will come with necessary power wire, grommet, terminals, fuse holders, distribution block, ground wire, and remote wire. it may even include RCA's. expect to spend $100-150 on a good amp install kit.

have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

My 2014 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/608637-2014-accord-sport-sq-build-keep_hope_alive.html
    ***My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkYUo2EShW9lgtrfXiDvLNQ/videos
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ahh I see so you pretty would bridge the amps together. Well never mind about that for now I am just hooking up my sub woofer and leaving the speakers as they are just powered by the head unit, I think over the summer il buy a new HU and an amp for the speakers.

The reason hifonics is because I have it laying around it use to be my bros so I figure I use it, why not right? why buy a new sub when I have one.

audiobaun is offline Premium Member audiobaun is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

You can run a preamp eq as well to add amps to the system, and can be had fairly cheap as well, without buying certain amps,and another head unit,such as this
    Soundstream MPQ 7XO 7 Band Car Audio Equalizer with Subwoofer Control | eBay
    There are much better,but an example, or you can add an external xover as well such as
    Kenwood KEC 600 Crossover Old School Tested Good 100 Works EQ No Reserve | eBay, Used, but there are some new as well..just depends on what your budget is, and what you like/need

audiobaun is offline Premium Member audiobaun is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Cadence CEQ 773 CEQ773 7 Band Paragraphic Equalizer Subwoofer Crossover | eBay
    Nice unit for the price,and adjustments at your fingertips

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

oh okay, I got one more question since my speakers are hooked up to the head unit and I read in order to set up the sub amp gain using DMM you have to put in a 50 hz tone and play that. Now since my speakers will be connected wont they distort if I turn the volume up to 75-85%. I dont want to damage them but then unplugging the speakers would be a hassles as well especially for the front doors. What do you guys recommend ?

Closed Thread