Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 24 of 24

Reload Thread: Bridged Amps - Quick Question

  1. #16
    Tenacious's Avatar
    Tenacious is offline Banned

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Lebanon, TN
    Posts
    542
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    239 Post(s)

    Re: Bridged Amps - Quick Question

    Quote Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive View Post
    efficiency is a moving target that decreases as the amp gets hotter.

    this fuse BS is why I say all classes should require clamping amps. pretty easy with modern split-core C.T.'s or logging clamp meters.
    Agreed. They seem to be pretty lazy when it comes to the classes you are put in to. Anywhere from a 75a to 175a fuse keeps me in the same class...







  2. #17
    tommydh's Avatar
    tommydh is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    471
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    151 Post(s)

    Re: Bridged Amps - Quick Question

    Quote Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive View Post
    efficiency is a moving target that decreases as the amp gets hotter.

    this fuse BS is why I say all classes should require clamping amps. pretty easy with modern split-core C.T.'s or logging clamp meters.
    Nice tool avatar to start but finally you get it. Im looking at power draw in a purely electrical view, not looking at what the electronics are doing. Plus most fuses have a built in surge factor. In a short period you can hit that current and be ok for a litttle while if you buy Quality fuses they hold up better than the chinese ANLs or what it is you have to run. I am not competeing so I use industrial fuses and switches that are used in the cranes at my shipyard i worked at.




  3. #18
    keep_hope_alive's Avatar
    keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!



    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Quad Cities, IL
    Posts
    6,024
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    28
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1157 Post(s)

    Re: Bridged Amps - Quick Question

    Quote Originally Posted by tommydh View Post
    Nice tool avatar to start but finally you get it. Im looking at power draw in a purely electrical view, not looking at what the electronics are doing. Plus most fuses have a built in surge factor. In a short period you can hit that current and be ok for a litttle while if you buy Quality fuses they hold up better than the chinese ANLs or what it is you have to run. I am not competeing so I use industrial fuses and switches that are used in the cranes at my shipyard i worked at.
    yep. as an EE i have to choose fuses based on their time/current curve characteristics.



    have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

    My 2014 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/608637-2014-accord-sport-sq-build-keep_hope_alive.html
    ***My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkYUo2EShW9lgtrfXiDvLNQ/videos
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html

  4. #19
    tommydh's Avatar
    tommydh is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    471
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    151 Post(s)

    Re: Bridged Amps - Quick Question

    Quote Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive View Post
    yep. as an EE i have to choose fuses based on their time/current curve characteristics.
    I do know what you mean but you know that thereare better stuff than what most use but when limited to competition rules you have to use that. When my stock battery finaly goes I am upgrading all my wire to xo jacketed "welding" cable although this is more fore locomotive and crane apps.




  5. #20
    tommydh's Avatar
    tommydh is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    471
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    151 Post(s)

    Re: Bridged Amps - Quick Question

    Quote Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive View Post
    yep. as an EE i have to choose fuses based on their time/current curve characteristics.
    I am a liscenesed Master Electrician and also have to choosse best fuse/overcurrant protection drvice per need plus I teach 1st year apprentices




  6. Likes keep_hope_alive liked this post
  7. #21
    keep_hope_alive's Avatar
    keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!



    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Quad Cities, IL
    Posts
    6,024
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    28
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1157 Post(s)

    Re: Bridged Amps - Quick Question

    Quote Originally Posted by tommydh View Post
    I am a licensed Master Electrician and also have to choose best fuse/overcurrent protection device per need plus I teach 1st year apprentices
    That's great! Do you get into arc flash and selective coordination calculations and software also? We use SKM Power Tools.

    I agree there are much better quality products available than what the car audio market has available. Much better wire, better fuses, better connectors, etc.

    Keep in mind that regardless of the type of wire used, the connection method in a car is limited to the 60 deg. C column in the NEC Ampacity tables. If someone decided to use compression lugs on both ends of the wire, I think the 75 deg C. column could be used.



    have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

    My 2014 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/608637-2014-accord-sport-sq-build-keep_hope_alive.html
    ***My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkYUo2EShW9lgtrfXiDvLNQ/videos
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html

  8. #22
    tommydh's Avatar
    tommydh is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    471
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    151 Post(s)

    Re: Bridged Amps - Quick Question

    Quote Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive View Post
    That's great! Do you get into arc flash and selective coordination calculations and software also? We use SKM Power Tools.

    I agree there are much better quality products available than what the car audio market has available. Much better wire, better fuses, better connectors, etc.

    Keep in mind that regardless of the type of wire used, the connection method in a car is limited to the 60 deg. C column in the NEC Ampacity tables. If someone decided to use compression lugs on both ends of the wire, I think the 75 deg C. column could be used.
    I have taken arc flash classes as part of my highvoltage splicing and termination training. Along with the ampacity tidbit all of those USING sheet metal screws for grounds are just asking for failure. According to NEC 250 you must have at least 5 threads engaged to be considered a ground as well as the article that states Sheet metall Screws may NOT be used as grounding means. Also on the ampacity why is it that car audio cable manufactures do not have to follow the same standards.




  9. #23
    keep_hope_alive's Avatar
    keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!



    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Quad Cities, IL
    Posts
    6,024
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    28
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1157 Post(s)

    Re: Bridged Amps - Quick Question

    Quote Originally Posted by tommydh View Post
    I have taken arc flash classes as part of my highvoltage splicing and termination training. Along with the ampacity tidbit all of those USING sheet metal screws for grounds are just asking for failure. According to NEC 250 you must have at least 5 threads engaged to be considered a ground as well as the article that states Sheet metall Screws may NOT be used as grounding means. Also on the ampacity why is it that car audio cable manufactures do not have to follow the same standards.

    it is annoying that car audio manufacturers have seemingly no standard for AWG.



    have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

    My 2014 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/608637-2014-accord-sport-sq-build-keep_hope_alive.html
    ***My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkYUo2EShW9lgtrfXiDvLNQ/videos
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html

  10. #24
    tommydh's Avatar
    tommydh is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    471
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    151 Post(s)

    Re: Bridged Amps - Quick Question

    Quote Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive View Post
    it is annoying that car audio manufacturers have seemingly no standard for AWG.
    Very and its even worse when you ask for their specs and insulation rating




  11. Likes keep_hope_alive liked this post
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Similar Threads

  1. Kicker ZX2500.1 Mono amp. Quick Question
    By Moxie in forum Wiring, Electrical and Installation Help
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-09-2011, 05:35 PM
  2. stock speaker with amp quick question!
    By pdtran in forum Speakers
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-28-2007, 01:12 AM
  3. Sub wiring to amp, quick question. Orion 600D
    By MattSWE in forum Wiring, Electrical and Installation Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-14-2005, 02:12 AM
  4. Wiring two amps, quick question...
    By purerx7tt in forum Wiring, Electrical and Installation Help
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-09-2005, 10:16 PM
  5. Amps quick question.
    By mssansserif in forum Wiring, Electrical and Installation Help
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-07-2003, 02:05 PM

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum