Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    249 Post(s)

2 different sized 4 ga wires

Ok heres my situation, it takes about 13 ft of wire to run from my batt to my my trunk. I have some no name brand 4 gauge wire that i was using for my sub amp. I got a 4 channel so i ordered a knu 4 ga kit and and now gonna be using the knu for my sub amp. When i installed my 4 channel i installed it up front so i cut a couple feet off of the wire, is it ok to take about 2 ft of the knu and solder it to the other 4 gauge and run it to the 4 channel? Gonna be moving the 4 chan to the back so im gonna need a couple extra feet. I dont have the piece that i cut anymore so im hoping this will be ok.

Link to Itrader feedback: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/itrader.php?u=1017953

neo_styles is offline AKA Pop Twidget

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1693 Post(s)

Re: 2 different sized 4 ga wires

Probably not a good idea as you're creating a choke point where the wires are joined. This could cause extra heat buildup there which is something you should try to avoid. Since you have a full Knu kit, take the extra time to re-route their 4ga and you should be much better off. Knu is beefy wire and tends to exceed AWG standards. Also, the no-name stuff probably doesn't adhere to the same standards, hence why there's a difference in the size.

Deck: JVC KD-A95BT
    Speakers: PHD FB mid, JBL MS tweets
    Amps: Boston Acoustics GT-2125, Zed Minotaur III (x2)
    Sub: 10" SSA ICON, IA Death Penalty 18" (coming soon)
    Starr Mountain Sound Nuthugger #2 (I'm a #2 lol)
    dcarcustoms Nuthugger #1
    Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/neo_styles/playlist/6t9ru42j0wbEsuo4bXqXD8
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM VERTEX

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    82 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bmk6795 View Post
    Ok heres my situation, it takes about 13 ft of wire to run from my batt to my my trunk. I have some no name brand 4 gauge wire that i was using for my sub amp. I got a 4 channel so i ordered a knu 4 ga kit and and now gonna be using the knu for my sub amp. When i installed my 4 channel i installed it up front so i cut a couple feet off of the wire, is it ok to take about 2 ft of the knu and solder it to the other 4 gauge and run it to the 4 channel? Gonna be moving the 4 chan to the back so im gonna need a couple extra feet. I dont have the piece that i cut anymore so im hoping this will be ok.
    Need more info about your amps as in how much power they make/current draw. But without knowing that info I'm gonna say the Knu 4 is probably good enough to run both amps and you can just pick up a distro. Or if your set on running the extra wire and it's going to be on the 4-chan, the splice should be fine as long as you insulate the crap out of it. You might also consider buying a 4 guage splice terminal. They're only $5.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffdachef View Post
    If your subs seem like they are slow that means you need Time Alignment a feature in sound quality based head units. A good head unit makes the biggest difference because it'll make the subs and speakers match up at the same speed with the time alignment feature.

bmk6795 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    249 Post(s)

Running a ap 1500 @ 2 ohms and a hifonics hfi 55.4 2 channels at 2 ohms and 2 at 4 ohms

Link to Itrader feedback: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/itrader.php?u=1017953

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    82 Post(s)

So right about 1200rms for both amps. A good single 4ga can handle that. But like I said the splice won't hurt a thing either if done correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffdachef View Post
    If your subs seem like they are slow that means you need Time Alignment a feature in sound quality based head units. A good head unit makes the biggest difference because it'll make the subs and speakers match up at the same speed with the time alignment feature.

Closed Thread