Closed Thread

Reload Thread: 2 different sized 4 ga wires

bmk6795 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

2 different sized 4 ga wires

Ok heres my situation, it takes about 13 ft of wire to run from my batt to my my trunk. I have some no name brand 4 gauge wire that i was using for my sub amp. I got a 4 channel so i ordered a knu 4 ga kit and and now gonna be using the knu for my sub amp. When i installed my 4 channel i installed it up front so i cut a couple feet off of the wire, is it ok to take about 2 ft of the knu and solder it to the other 4 gauge and run it to the 4 channel? Gonna be moving the 4 chan to the back so im gonna need a couple extra feet. I dont have the piece that i cut anymore so im hoping this will be ok.

Link to Itrader feedback: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/itrader.php?u=1017953

neo_styles is offline AKA Pop Twidget

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Re: 2 different sized 4 ga wires

Probably not a good idea as you're creating a choke point where the wires are joined. This could cause extra heat buildup there which is something you should try to avoid. Since you have a full Knu kit, take the extra time to re-route their 4ga and you should be much better off. Knu is beefy wire and tends to exceed AWG standards. Also, the no-name stuff probably doesn't adhere to the same standards, hence why there's a difference in the size.

Deck: JVC KD-A95BT
    Speakers: PHD FB mid, JBL MS tweets
    Amps: Boston Acoustics GT-2125, Zed Minotaur III (x2)
    Sub: 10" SSA ICON, IA Death Penalty 18" (coming soon)
    Starr Mountain Sound Nuthugger #2 (I'm a #2 lol)
    dcarcustoms Nuthugger #1
    Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/neo_styles/playlist/6t9ru42j0wbEsuo4bXqXD8
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM VERTEX

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bmk6795 View Post
    Ok heres my situation, it takes about 13 ft of wire to run from my batt to my my trunk. I have some no name brand 4 gauge wire that i was using for my sub amp. I got a 4 channel so i ordered a knu 4 ga kit and and now gonna be using the knu for my sub amp. When i installed my 4 channel i installed it up front so i cut a couple feet off of the wire, is it ok to take about 2 ft of the knu and solder it to the other 4 gauge and run it to the 4 channel? Gonna be moving the 4 chan to the back so im gonna need a couple extra feet. I dont have the piece that i cut anymore so im hoping this will be ok.
    Need more info about your amps as in how much power they make/current draw. But without knowing that info I'm gonna say the Knu 4 is probably good enough to run both amps and you can just pick up a distro. Or if your set on running the extra wire and it's going to be on the 4-chan, the splice should be fine as long as you insulate the crap out of it. You might also consider buying a 4 guage splice terminal. They're only $5.

bmk6795 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Running a ap 1500 @ 2 ohms and a hifonics hfi 55.4 2 channels at 2 ohms and 2 at 4 ohms

Link to Itrader feedback: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/itrader.php?u=1017953

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So right about 1200rms for both amps. A good single 4ga can handle that. But like I said the splice won't hurt a thing either if done correctly.

Closed Thread