Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Subs indoors!

DiBonaventura is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon9 Subs indoors!

Hey guys I been having alot of problems with my subs in my car so untill I get a more simple american made car I would like to put the subs in my room! I've already searched the forums and found 1 unhelpful thread so lets make this one helpful

I have:
    - 2 kicker CVR 12" 800rms- 1600max
    - 1 cadence f700-1 amp which is also 800rms - 1600 max
    - All the standard wiring for the car

Basically I've been thinking about getting a car battery and hooking it up but I wouldnt know where to ground the battery. So if any of you can help me out it'd be appreciated

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Subs indoors!

U ground the amplifier to the battery terminal the battery doesnt need to be grounded. A power supply is much more practical in a home setup.

2003 Acura RSX Type S
    Head Unit - Alpine iDA-X200 (USB Ipod Control)
    Front Speakers - Image Dynamics Ctx65cs
    Rear Speakers - Pioneer TS A1674R
    Subwoofers - Alpine Type-R Subs
    Sub Amplifier - Xtant x1001
    Speaker Amplifier - Linear Power 952 X 2
    Processor - Rockford Fosgate (rfq5000), Alpine Pxa-H100

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by asianinvasion21 View Post
    U ground the amplifier to the battery terminal the battery doesnt need to be grounded. A power supply is much more practical in a home setup.
    So something along the lines of a computer power supply and I just match up the fuse amps? Idk if I could get in trouble for this but Im not the best with all this electrical **** so this is the only way I can explain what I am talking about... How To Hook Up Car Subs In House With Computer Power Supply - YouTube

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Also wouldnt all that power mess with the house? I know that plugging in a vacuum dims the lights that are on around me so I cant imagine what a sub would do 0.o

jhayar251987 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1st.question do you have knowledge in electronics or electrical wiring.....?

Spooney is online now Premium Member Spooney is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)

Please don't use a battery in your house unless it is sealed. Even then you would be much better off getting a power supply that can put out the kind of power you need to run an amp that size.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spooney View Post
    Please don't use a battery in your house unless it is sealed. Even then you would be much better off getting a power supply that can put out the kind of power you need to run an amp that size.
    Yea I understand that using a car battery is a no go but wouldn't powering these subs be too much for my house? Im not trying to **** anything up :/

Spooney is online now Premium Member Spooney is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DiBonaventura View Post
    Yea I understand that using a car battery is a no go but wouldn't powering these subs be too much for my house? Im not trying to **** anything up :/
    As long as you get yourself a decent power supply or two you should be fine. It can get very pricey though to find good quality power supplies. I believe there are some large computer type power supplies on ebay you can get for reasonable prices but you may have to make some small mods to them to get them to work in your application. By the time its all said and done man you may just find its easier and cheaper to buy a home subwoofer amp to power these subs .

ewadz3006 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Buy a used home amp to power them. Theres no sense buying a power supply that your never going to use again. I bought a carver tfm-24 for a shade over 200$. You can use it for another home stereo or even sell and not lose any$. There is also other amps that are cheaper.

I feel sorry for those who do not drink, when they wake up on the morning that's the best they're going to feel all day.-Frank Sinatra

2004 mercury mountaineer
    Hu Kenwood excelon x996
    Fronts Incriminator audio comps
    Front amp Aq 120.4
    sub amp Aq2200d
    subs 2 sundown sa 12's @ 32hz
    wiring knu 1/0 ofc

Jes 42 is offline karma!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Dayton Audio SPA250 250 Watt Subwoofer Plate Amplifier

The Dayton Audio SPA250 subwoofer amplifier produces 250 watts of clean power output, and combines with a host of flexible user options to make it an unbeatable choice. A user-configurable bass boost circuit creates a 6 dB peak at 35 Hz, which allows sealed subwoofer designs and certain ported enclosures to achieve their optimum bass extension and maximum "flat" output.
    The SPA250 features RCA line level and banana jack speaker level inputs and outputs, automatic power-on that is triggered by any audio input signal, and a phase reverse switch to match the subwoofer to your room and your other speakers. A single amp can accept a stereo input signal and combine it into mono, which is preferred for sub bass reproduction. A preamp or receiver's LFE output may be connected to the SPA250's Left (mono) input. The internal low pass crossover is fully adjustable between 40 and 180 Hz, and of course the amp has built-in protection against internal and external faults.
    • Variable low-pass filter at 24 dB/octave attenuation from 40 Hz ~ 180 Hz
    • Switchable phase 0 (NOR) or 180 (REV)
    • Variable gain MIN/MAX input voltage dependent
    • Speaker level high-pass outputs 6 dB/octave at approximately 90 Hz @ 4 ohms, 180 Hz @ 8 ohms (i.e. 220 uF electrolytic capacitor)
    • Line-level full bandwidth (10 Hz- 20 kHz) outputs/throughputs for adding or "daisy chaining" additional amplifiers
    • Subsonic filter 12 dB/octave high-pass filter centered at 20 Hz
    • Damping factor at rated power: 114 @ 100 Hz
    Specifications: • Measured power output: 156 watts RMS into 8 ohms @ 0.1% THD, 252 watts RMS into 4 ohms @ < 1.0% THD • Signal to noise ratio: 90 dB A-weighted • Input impedance: 10.4K ohms • Bass boost: Switchable, 6 dB @ 35 Hz • Low pass adjustment: 40 Hz to 180 Hz • Phase adjustment: 0 (normal) 180 (reverse) • Power requirements: Switchable, 115/230 VAC, 50/60 Hz • Dimensions: 9-13/16" W x 9-13/16" H x 5" D • Cutout dimensions: 8-1/2" W x 8-1/2" H.

You can get yourself a plate amp like this at Parts Express..Works great on car subs!Only $125.00

Kenwood x996
    Punch 501x
    4 Prv 6.5's-Bazooka Euphonic tweets
    18'' T3 TSNS
    MA Audio HK4000D
    300 amp Ohio Gen alt
    2 CS9000 batts

11. Thanks keep_hope_alive thanked for this post
    Likes kushy_dreams liked this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spooney View Post
    As long as you get yourself a decent power supply or two you should be fine. It can get very pricey though to find good quality power supplies. I believe there are some large computer type power supplies on ebay you can get for reasonable prices but you may have to make some small mods to them to get them to work in your application. By the time its all said and done man you may just find its easier and cheaper to buy a home subwoofer amp to power these subs .
    I feel it :/ Id get a home sub but I dont think it would hit nearly as hard as my subs so in my mind they arent worth it (
    Quote Originally Posted by ewadz3006 View Post
    Buy a used home amp to power them. Theres no sense buying a power supply that your never going to use again. I bought a carver tfm-24 for a shade over 200$. You can use it for another home stereo or even sell and not lose any$. There is also other amps that are cheaper.
    Are there home amps that are 800rms and 1600 max? 0.o

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DiBonaventura View Post
    I feel it :/ Id get a home sub but I dont think it would hit nearly as hard as my subs so in my mind they arent worth it (

Are there home amps that are 800rms and 1600 max? 0.o

There are pro amps that are over 2000. But that carver i have i know will drive those hard.

I feel sorry for those who do not drink, when they wake up on the morning that's the best they're going to feel all day.-Frank Sinatra

2004 mercury mountaineer
    Hu Kenwood excelon x996
    Front amp Aq 120.4
    sub amp Aq2200d
    wiring knu 1/0 ofc

TitoThePirate is offline Newb Nuthugger

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

get a pro-audio amp. a mixer and an EQ. best decision i ever made. total overkill for my room.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

^^^^^^ this. Agreed

2004 mercury mountaineer
    Hu Kenwood excelon x996
    Front amp Aq 120.4
    sub amp Aq2200d
    wiring knu 1/0 ofc

keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)

pro audio amps and processors are nice...

but that $125 plate amp listed above is more than sufficient. i've been running plate amps in homes with car subs for over a decade. hassle-free.

have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

My 2014 Accord build log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?6722-KHA-2014-Accord-Sport-SQ-Factory-Integration
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html
    *1998 Astro Van Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/567468-kha-does-spl-build-1996-astro-van.html

17. Likes kushy_dreams liked this post
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast