Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Voltage Problems, Please Help!!!

rlambert02 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Voltage Problems, Please Help!!!

Ok so here's what i already have:
    Mechman 220 HO alt
    Big 3 wiring
    optima yellow top (front)
    XSd3100 (rear)
    AT OFC 0g throughout
    Full copper terminals soldered
    Problem: At idle my car sits at 13.8 (dont most cars idle at 14.4?) but when I put my saz-3500 in a week ago it cut out after 3 seconds of play, thought i blew the fuse, then today when i was redoing my build i noticed the fuse was fine so decided to some testing. Hooked up the 3500 again tuned with a dd-1, at it was dropping down to 11.2 at just a little over half volume.

With what I already have shouldn't i be able to hold at least 12v just fine.

Tomorrow im going to do 2 runs of 0g from the front to the rear, but do i go from the front batt to back batt or the alt directly to rear batt.

What should i try to do, get rid of the yellow top and upgrade the front battery? I'm really trying to not add a second rear batt cuz im having a lot issues with rear weight and ride height.

Any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks guys.

gckless is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Re: Voltage Problems, Please Help!!!

Idle seems low at 13.8V. Should be higher than that with that alternator. Go back and triple check all your connections under-hood. Ground, alt, battery, all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2566-1999-Chevrolet-Blazer&highlight=1999+blazer

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I did that. Should i check the voltage directly from the alt and if it's at 13.8 what do i do?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Sounds like a wiring issue. Where were you measuring the voltage from? In back by your amp or up front?

15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2566-1999-Chevrolet-Blazer&highlight=1999+blazer

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

checked both, I only drop like .1 sometimes from the front to the back battery

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

And when you had the amp turned up? It was dropping down that low in the front or in the back? And was the car at idle or revved a bit? How long did it take of playing it for it to drop down to 11.2V?

What car is this? That SAZ is a pretty large amp, capable of drawing a good amount of amperage, over 300A. Depending on your car, you may only have 100 or so amps overhead. Your car may require about 50A-ish, and that alt may only produce 150-170A at idle. Do you know what its idle output is?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

it dropped to 11.2 after about 10 seconds, if that, and that read at the rear battery at idle, at about 2k rpm i think i was in the 12's. And i Believe idle is 170 amps

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

How are you grounded from rear to front? Frame or dedicated run?

It's possible there's nothing wrong here, you're just seeing how much that big amp can draw.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Right to the body, i have it grounded on the bolt that holds down the latch for the rear seat, sanded completely down. So the copper ring terminal is sandwiched between the latch and the body. is it better to run the ground from the rear batt to the amp, or my spot to the amp?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

So you have front battery to frame, rear battery to frame, and amp to frame? You should atleast go from rear battery to amp. That latch is on the floor? It may not be the best grounding spot.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ok so its better to ground the amp from the battery? and tomorrow ill try to take a picture of what im talking about between the body and latch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

How do you have the rest grounded? Front battery to frame, rear battery to frame also?

Chrispy is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A friend of mine surprisingly runs that amp on lower voltage than that no problem. What ohm load are you running that amp at?

EDIT: Does the amp still cut out or are you just trying to keep the voltage from dropping so much?

NASTY08IMPALA is online now CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Check ur voltage at the alt ..most of.those mechmans will charge at 15.3

itsblown is offline why is there smoke?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NASTY08IMPALA View Post
    Check ur voltage at the alt ..most of.those mechmans will charge at 15.3
    Thats what Im thinking no way should that alt be charging at 13.8, my stock ****** ford focus alt charges higher than 13.8

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast