Closed Thread

Reload Thread: New wiring for a new alternator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

New wiring for a new alternator

I'm looking for some info on what gauge wire and fuse I should use to replace the original wiring when I install my new high output alternator. Can anyone point me in the right direction for this?

gckless is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Re: New wiring for a new alternator

Quote Originally Posted by militarymisfit View Post
    I'm looking for some info on what gauge wire and fuse I should use to replace the original wiring when I install my new high output alternator. Can anyone point me in the right direction for this?
    What the amperage rating of your alternator? You will want to use 1/0AWG OFC, which is rated for 300A. Many people don't fuse from alt to battery if they are both under the hood, but if you do, use a 300A fuse. If your alt is rated for over 300A, you will want two runs of all wires. Go with RAM_Designs for a kit, custom made:

Custom Big 3 kits in OFC and CCA

Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2566-1999-Chevrolet-Blazer&highlight=1999+blazer

militarymisfit is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There's a fusible link in there originally. I was thinking it was there for a reason so I should probably put a fuse in there. I only got the 180 amp; since the system I'm building isn't as big as some of the guys on here. Plus when I'm using the trail welder or air compressor I wont have the radio on anyways.

gckless is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

It's up to you man, fusing is always safe. Many don't run a fuse up there, I know I don't, as there is fairly minimal chances for a short. Either way, 1/0ga is the wire size you will want. 300A fuse for OFC wire, 250A fuse if you use CCA. If you decide on RAM_Designs, he'll take care of you. Or you can do it yourself, it's not hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2566-1999-Chevrolet-Blazer&highlight=1999+blazer

Closed Thread