Hey guys. I'm running a Onyx 1000 and have been for about 8 months now. I've never had a single problem with it, excluding the lack of doing anywhere near rated but we'll save that for another day.

It was working fine on my way into work, but on the way home it's as if the output was reduced to maybe 20%. I also detected a faint but noticeable whine coming from the amp. I have NEVER heard an amp make this noise. All of my connections are tight, the grounds are good, but it's still making this faint squeal.

I tried the 'ol technical tap right on the case of the amp and the whine stopped. The amp seemed to be outputting around 70-80% of what it normally would, I mean awfully close to where it has been for months without fail. It has done this twice now in the last two days and good smack on the amp is the only thing that works.

I plan to tear it down tonight, problem is I don't know what I should be on the lookout for. Sorry for the lengthy post. I seemed to get flamed pretty consistently here so do your worst just looking for input from a guts guru.