Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 28 of 28

Reload Thread: A couple questions about batteries and wire (being a noob)

  1. #16
    gckless's Avatar
    gckless is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    3,971
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

    Re: A couple questions about batteries and wire (being a noob)

    Quote Originally Posted by Turboj5525 View Post
    Dual battery wiring tutorial (and why)

    Official CarAudio.com Big 3 Thread

    I'm def not an expert but I found these. Both of these are must reads for you. I bet most of your questions are answered in these two threads. Lots of really good info. I would think that once you have the big 3 squared away you need to run 0g from the battery with an inline fuse big enough for both amps to a distro block and then 4g to each amp at least that is how I would do it from what I have read. Anything other way and I think you will have one or more choke points for the power and have problems. Just my 2 cents...
    Good luck bro.
    Finally, a noob that knows how to look for things! Welcome!

    Quote Originally Posted by TheUnderFighter View Post
    Fusing properly doesn't hinder current. And fyi, you fuse for the protection of the wire, not for the equipment or the power being ran. You fuse so that the fuse blows, before the wire starts a fire, in the occurrence of a short somewhere. So if you get OFC 0 gauge, you fuse for 300a; if you get CCA 0 gauge you fuse for 250a; if you get OFC 4 gauge, you fuse for 150a.
    So much this. Fusing is for the wire, that's why you use a fuse rated for the capacity of the wire. It's not for the equipment.



    Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

    Dat Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/578701-1999-chevrolet-blazer.html




  2. #17
    Turboj5525's Avatar
    Turboj5525 is offline Junior Member



    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Tulsa, Ok
    Posts
    13
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: A couple questions about batteries and wire (being a noob)

    [QUOTE=gckless;8251433]Finally, a noob that knows how to look for things! Welcome!

    Thanks gckless!

    See this thread even helped me! I had no idea to fuse for the wire and not the equipment. It makes perfect sense tho... Wish Knukonceptz would have told me that... I'm running 0g from batteries to distro block with an inline fuse and then 4g to two amps and they told me to add up the total of the fuses in both amps and go over by 15% and fuse for that.

    So if I'm reading this right I should run a 300amp fuse since I'm using OFC 0g from the batteries then?

    Sorry not trying to hyjack the thread.




  3. #18
    alec14's Avatar
    alec14 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sault Ste. Marie, MI
    Posts
    1,685
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

    Re: A couple questions about batteries and wire (being a noob)

    Quote Originally Posted by TheUnderFighter View Post
    Fusing properly doesn't hinder current. And fyi, you fuse for the protection of the wire, not for the equipment or the power being ran. You fuse so that the fuse blows, before the wire starts a fire, in the occurrence of a short somewhere. So if you get OFC 0 gauge, you fuse for 300a; if you get CCA 0 gauge you fuse for 250a; if you get OFC 4 gauge, you fuse for 150a.
    okay, thanks. that makes more sense



    Bought from: flastrongman, nitefury 360, luckyderder, Jayzbent, fasfocus00, flaboy22, oldschool4me, Chevy Blazin', Inter007, dross93ranger, 04murdalanche, glitchsta, photocrazy8

    Traded with: mylows10 Sold to/traded with: garychoffman, juanmgarza, 04murdalanche, Markyg66, basswiigee, btolenti, supereikenator, shauncox26, eg9(x2)

    http://www.caraudio.com/forums/itrader.php?u=1018999

  4. #19
    alec14's Avatar
    alec14 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sault Ste. Marie, MI
    Posts
    1,685
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

    Re: A couple questions about batteries and wire (being a noob)

    Quote Originally Posted by gckless View Post
    Finally, a noob that knows how to look for things! Welcome!



    So much this. Fusing is for the wire, that's why you use a fuse rated for the capacity of the wire. It's not for the equipment.
    understood now. could you run 4 gauge ofc between batteries, or you want 0 for sure?



    Bought from: flastrongman, nitefury 360, luckyderder, Jayzbent, fasfocus00, flaboy22, oldschool4me, Chevy Blazin', Inter007, dross93ranger, 04murdalanche, glitchsta, photocrazy8

    Traded with: mylows10 Sold to/traded with: garychoffman, juanmgarza, 04murdalanche, Markyg66, basswiigee, btolenti, supereikenator, shauncox26, eg9(x2)

    http://www.caraudio.com/forums/itrader.php?u=1018999

  5. #20
    alec14's Avatar
    alec14 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sault Ste. Marie, MI
    Posts
    1,685
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

    Re: A couple questions about batteries and wire (being a noob)

    [QUOTE=Turboj5525;8252002]
    Quote Originally Posted by gckless View Post
    Finally, a noob that knows how to look for things! Welcome!

    Thanks gckless!

    See this thread even helped me! I had no idea to fuse for the wire and not the equipment. It makes perfect sense tho... Wish Knukonceptz would have told me that... I'm running 0g from batteries to distro block with an inline fuse and then 4g to two amps and they told me to add up the total of the fuses in both amps and go over by 15% and fuse for that.

    So if I'm reading this right I should run a 300amp fuse since I'm using OFC 0g from the batteries then?

    Sorry not trying to hyjack the thread.
    not hijacking at all, I'm wondering some of the same stuff. lol



    Bought from: flastrongman, nitefury 360, luckyderder, Jayzbent, fasfocus00, flaboy22, oldschool4me, Chevy Blazin', Inter007, dross93ranger, 04murdalanche, glitchsta, photocrazy8

    Traded with: mylows10 Sold to/traded with: garychoffman, juanmgarza, 04murdalanche, Markyg66, basswiigee, btolenti, supereikenator, shauncox26, eg9(x2)

    http://www.caraudio.com/forums/itrader.php?u=1018999

  6. #21
    alec14's Avatar
    alec14 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sault Ste. Marie, MI
    Posts
    1,685
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

    Re: A couple questions about batteries and wire (being a noob)

    Quote Originally Posted by jco1385 View Post
    That's a question for someone else. I don't know anything about the kinetik batteries. I have only run optima. Currently, I am running ~1700wrms on my factory alt with no front battery and one g31 blue top in the trunk. It does dim a little at idle though.



    I'm running 350a on my 1/0 150a on the 4ga
    that good or bad?



    Bought from: flastrongman, nitefury 360, luckyderder, Jayzbent, fasfocus00, flaboy22, oldschool4me, Chevy Blazin', Inter007, dross93ranger, 04murdalanche, glitchsta, photocrazy8

    Traded with: mylows10 Sold to/traded with: garychoffman, juanmgarza, 04murdalanche, Markyg66, basswiigee, btolenti, supereikenator, shauncox26, eg9(x2)

    http://www.caraudio.com/forums/itrader.php?u=1018999

  7. #22
    gckless's Avatar
    gckless is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    3,971
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

    Re: A couple questions about batteries and wire (being a noob)

    Quote Originally Posted by gckless View Post
    Finally, a noob that knows how to look for things! Welcome!

    Thanks gckless!

    See this thread even helped me! I had no idea to fuse for the wire and not the equipment. It makes perfect sense tho... Wish Knukonceptz would have told me that... I'm running 0g from batteries to distro block with an inline fuse and then 4g to two amps and they told me to add up the total of the fuses in both amps and go over by 15% and fuse for that.

    So if I'm reading this right I should run a 300amp fuse since I'm using OFC 0g from the batteries then?

    Sorry not trying to hyjack the thread.
    They are not wrong. You can always fuse lower, just never higher. Also, you need to fuse every time you switch wire size/capacity. So, in your case I would suggest a 300A on the 1/0ga, and then 150A at the most on each of the 4ga wires. Personally I fuse for the wire (largest capacity the wire can carry) for the main run and then for the equipment (what Knu told you) after the distro block.

    Quote Originally Posted by alec14 View Post
    understood now. could you run 4 gauge ofc between batteries, or you want 0 for sure?
    You will want 1/0ga between batteries almost always.



    Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

    Dat Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/578701-1999-chevrolet-blazer.html

  8. #23
    alec14's Avatar
    alec14 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sault Ste. Marie, MI
    Posts
    1,685
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

    Re: A couple questions about batteries and wire (being a noob)

    Quote Originally Posted by gckless View Post
    They are not wrong. You can always fuse lower, just never higher. Also, you need to fuse every time you switch wire size/capacity. So, in your case I would suggest a 300A on the 1/0ga, and then 150A at the most on each of the 4ga wires. Personally I fuse for the wire (largest capacity the wire can carry) for the main run and then for the equipment (what Knu told you) after the distro block.



    You will want 1/0ga between batteries almost always.
    okay. And for fusing lower, if i had a 120A draw on an 80A fuse, is that fine?



    Bought from: flastrongman, nitefury 360, luckyderder, Jayzbent, fasfocus00, flaboy22, oldschool4me, Chevy Blazin', Inter007, dross93ranger, 04murdalanche, glitchsta, photocrazy8

    Traded with: mylows10 Sold to/traded with: garychoffman, juanmgarza, 04murdalanche, Markyg66, basswiigee, btolenti, supereikenator, shauncox26, eg9(x2)

    http://www.caraudio.com/forums/itrader.php?u=1018999

  9. #24
    Turboj5525's Avatar
    Turboj5525 is offline Junior Member



    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Tulsa, Ok
    Posts
    13
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: A couple questions about batteries and wire (being a noob)

    Quote Originally Posted by gckless View Post
    They are not wrong. You can always fuse lower, just never higher. Also, you need to fuse every time you switch wire size/capacity. So, in your case I would suggest a 300A on the 1/0ga, and then 150A at the most on each of the 4ga wires. Personally I fuse for the wire (largest capacity the wire can carry) for the main run and then for the equipment (what Knu told you) after the distro block.





    You will want 1/0ga between batteries almost always.


    Thanks that makes sense. I was only going to run the one fuse in the 0g. I will make sure to get two more for the 4g.




  10. #25
    Turboj5525's Avatar
    Turboj5525 is offline Junior Member



    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Tulsa, Ok
    Posts
    13
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: A couple questions about batteries and wire (being a noob)

    Since this thread seems to be getting some really good advice anyone care to take a look at this thread in Wiring, Electrical and, Installation help called ***** See what you think? *****

    I can't seem to get anyones opinions.




  11. #26
    alec14's Avatar
    alec14 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sault Ste. Marie, MI
    Posts
    1,685
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

    Re: A couple questions about batteries and wire (being a noob)

    Quote Originally Posted by Turboj5525 View Post
    Since this thread seems to be getting some really good advice anyone care to take a look at this thread in Wiring, Electrical and, Installation help called ***** See what you think? *****

    I can't seem to get anyones opinions.
    what's the thread called?



    Bought from: flastrongman, nitefury 360, luckyderder, Jayzbent, fasfocus00, flaboy22, oldschool4me, Chevy Blazin', Inter007, dross93ranger, 04murdalanche, glitchsta, photocrazy8

    Traded with: mylows10 Sold to/traded with: garychoffman, juanmgarza, 04murdalanche, Markyg66, basswiigee, btolenti, supereikenator, shauncox26, eg9(x2)

    http://www.caraudio.com/forums/itrader.php?u=1018999

  12. #27
    Turboj5525's Avatar
    Turboj5525 is offline Junior Member



    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Tulsa, Ok
    Posts
    13
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: A couple questions about batteries and wire (being a noob)

    It is called ***** see what you think? *****

    I will warn ya it is long tho lol.... I should have made it shorter and divided everything up and put them in their respective sections.




  13. #28
    alec14's Avatar
    alec14 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sault Ste. Marie, MI
    Posts
    1,685
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

    Re: A couple questions about batteries and wire (being a noob)

    Quote Originally Posted by Turboj5525 View Post
    It is called ***** see what you think? *****

    I will warn ya it is long tho lol.... I should have made it shorter and divided everything up and put them in their respective sections.
    sir, you may have to spell out the thread. It keeps blocking it.



    Bought from: flastrongman, nitefury 360, luckyderder, Jayzbent, fasfocus00, flaboy22, oldschool4me, Chevy Blazin', Inter007, dross93ranger, 04murdalanche, glitchsta, photocrazy8

    Traded with: mylows10 Sold to/traded with: garychoffman, juanmgarza, 04murdalanche, Markyg66, basswiigee, btolenti, supereikenator, shauncox26, eg9(x2)

    http://www.caraudio.com/forums/itrader.php?u=1018999

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Similar Threads

  1. noob questions about battery terminal and wires
    By Atlanta007 in forum Wiring, Electrical and Installation Help
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-28-2011, 11:17 PM
  2. couple question about fuses and fuse holders.
    By alexdbest2000 in forum Wiring, Electrical and Installation Help
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-21-2007, 11:38 AM
  3. Will this work??? (Battery and wiring question)
    By bookechu in forum Wiring, Electrical and Installation Help
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-15-2006, 05:48 PM
  4. Question about Ohms...and wiring kit
    By Magz_rule in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-04-2005, 08:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts

1e2 Forum