Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Bad Terminal Cup

I've been using pre-fab boxes for a while and love the simplicity of terminal cups but the past two times I've used them they've quit working.

The first one just quit working one day. It shows no visible signs of any reasons of why it wouldn't work and I get power all the way up to the terminal but it just doesn't conduct through to the other side. The same thing happened to another cup that I took out of an old box I don't use and the same thing happened to it in about two months.

I've solved the problem by just running my speaker wire from my amp to my sub through the port on the box but I just hate the way it looks.

Can anyone explain why this is happening?

Thanks!

Kangaroux is offline I put on

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1488 Post(s)

Re: Bad Terminal Cup

Terminal cups are cheap and will break because they are not meant for the power we sent through them. A couple alternatives you have is drill a hole in the box where you need the wire to go through and then silicone it from the inside to seal it, or you could run a bolt through the box and put some ring terminals on your speaker wire then just bolt the terminals on either side of the bolt. This is nice because if you set it up right you can switch around your wiring options real easily by just rearranging the wires

3. Likes resonate liked this post
    cam1134 is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks man, that's the first time I've ever heard of the bolt idea, but I really like it since it doesn't involve waiting for extra terminals in the mail.

keep_hope_alive is online now Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1157 Post(s)

i have also had issues with cheap terminal cups over the years. bolts are great - just double-up on nuts so they don't want to turn. two wrenches will allow you to tighten the pair of nuts (ha!) and prevent the bolt from turning.

have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

My 2014 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/608637-2014-accord-sport-sq-build-keep_hope_alive.html
    ***My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkYUo2EShW9lgtrfXiDvLNQ/videos
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html

gckless is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)

Parts Express has some really nice binding posts for like $8. I've used them in my boxes, I really like them. A couple bucks more than bolts, but worth it.

Dayton Audio BPA-38G HD Binding Post Pair Gold 091-1245

Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2566-1999-Chevrolet-Blazer&highlight=1999+blazer

Closed Thread