Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Considering upgrading to a h/o alternator

ryya is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Considering upgrading to a h/o alternator

So as the title says I'm thinking about upgrading my alt. Mine has gone out literally 3 times in the past 3 weeks and I honed the problem down to a melted down connection within my fuse box. I ordered a whole new fuse box and will replace it before I either 1. replace my alt with oem or 2. buy a h/o and have my installer put it in. You see I have a pretty large audio system in the car and have the xs power d6500 and my alt just can't keep up.

I have a 2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLI 2.8L VR6 and I need something that will fit and work well with my vehicle. I was looking at this... but don't know very much about alternators. I also emailed mechman for a quote but they haven't gotten back to me. I'm really tired of dumping $300-500 in repairs into my car every week... but i guess thats the price i pay for a good audio system.

Will 180amps (max output) be enough for my 2k watt rms system? Is this a good brand?

https://www.dcpoweri...53-180-spx.html

Owner of 12Tronics.com car audio talk.

jockhater2 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

Re: Considering upgrading to a h/o alternator

Quote Originally Posted by ryya View Post
    So as the title says I'm thinking about upgrading my alt. Mine has gone out literally 3 times in the past 3 weeks and I honed the problem down to a melted down connection within my fuse box. I ordered a whole new fuse box and will replace it before I either 1. replace my alt with oem or 2. buy a h/o and have my installer put it in. You see I have a pretty large audio system in the car and have the xs power d6500 and my alt just can't keep up.

I have a 2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLI 2.8L VR6 and I need something that will fit and work well with my vehicle. I was looking at this... but don't know very much about alternators. I also emailed mechman for a quote but they haven't gotten back to me. I'm really tired of dumping $300-500 in repairs into my car every week... but i guess thats the price i pay for a good audio system.

Will 180amps (max output) be enough for my 2k watt rms system? Is this a good brand?

What do you mean dumping $300-500 in repairs every week? What is going on?

Yeah if you have the Vr6. That alternator sits in a very very tight spot. I was able to do something unique with my jetta.
    DC power makes great alternators. Otherwise check out
    And yes. 180Amps will be enough. But if you can afford it. Go with a 270. But it won't be necessary. I just would.

Excessive Amperage
    ohiogenerators.com: The Leading Ohio Generator Site on the Net
    Tenney Alt - Home
    Welcome to Singer Alternators | Singer Alternators
    Iraggi Alternator - Shop Home

Head Unit Pioneer P99RS
    3 Runs of 1/0 OFC Power and 3 Runs of 1/0 OFC Ground
    1 XS Power D3400 & 2 XS Power XP3000 with Copper Bus Bars
    380 Amp & 320 Amp Iraggi Alternators(One is a chevy case, the other ford)
    RD 7500.1 running 2 12 inch SPLaudio (AA Mayhem motors/baskets)
    Tuned to 36 hertz. About 4.5 cubic feet, 8" Aeroport (made by dbeez)
    Zed Audio Leviathan III on Morel MDT-29, RS100-4 & RS225-8 Daytons
    Alex Jones www.infowars.com Endgame, Obama Deception, Truth Rising,
    Fluoride in the water, poison in vaccines, chemical trails in the skyglobal
    elite banks run our government towards a one world global government.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jockhater2 View Post
    What do you mean dumping $300-500 in repairs every week? What is going on?

Yeah if you have the Vr6. That alternator sits in a very very tight spot. I was able to do something unique with my jetta.
    DC power makes great alternators. Otherwise check out
    And yes. 180Amps will be enough. But if you can afford it. Go with a 270. But it won't be necessary. I just would.
    Well... I have replaced the alternator twice in about two weeks (he charged only labor the second time), new xs power battery because my kinetik fried and was out of warranty, brand new fuse box since mine melted and now this third alternator. It's just expensive and it makes me want to sell my car for a truck and start over. I'm really hoping this alt will cure all of my problems. I bought a bunch of 0awg and monster cable ring terminals too so I'll be doing the big three again, but this time with the 0.

I think the 220 amp is the next jump up from the 180. I really wasn't planning on doing all of this but I guess when it gets to this point go big or go home right?

kat_black181 is offline Car Audio's Only V@gina kat_black181 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Well... I have replaced the alternator twice in about two weeks (he charged only labor the second time), new xs power battery because my kinetik fried and was out of warranty, brand new fuse box since mine melted and now this third alternator. It's just expensive and it makes me want to sell my car for a truck and start over. I'm really hoping this alt will cure all of my problems. I bought a bunch of 0awg and monster cable ring terminals too so I'll be doing the big three again, but this time with the 0.

I think the 220 amp is the next jump up from the 180. I really wasn't planning on doing all of this but I guess when it gets to this point go big or go home right?
    I can't help but think that all this money you have shelled out could have been initially put toward the h/o alt long before you ever fried the other ones....Good luck with getting everything straightened out.

KittyKat
    Subs: 2 12 Incriminator Audio Lethal Injections
    Amp: Hifonics Brutus BRZ1200.1D
    Speakers & Amp: Focal PC 690 & MMATS SQ4100
    Headunit: Eclipse 7200 MKII
    Box: 4 cubes tuned to 32hz

Make some paper wings.And learn to fly.If there's no tomorrow.Burn your paper wings.And say goodbye.

Vertex Audio is offline Supporting Vendor Vertex Audio is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Vertex Audio is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

I can give ya a quote on a mechman alt, if you are interested pm me

Authorized Dealers for: CDT Audio, ZED Audio, Incriminator Audio, Ultra Audio, Mechman Alternators, Flatline Audio, Ampere Audio and Shok Industries. Send us a PM if you need a price quote or are interested in our trade in program! And remember. FREE SHIPPING in the Continental USA

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kat_black181 View Post
    I can't help but think that all this money you have shelled out could have been initially put toward the h/o alt long before you ever fried the other ones....Good luck with getting everything straightened out.
    Well at least I finally learned a very valuable electrical lesson. Takes power to make power.

Thanks for the encouragement

Quote Originally Posted by Vertex Audio View Post
    I can give ya a quote on a mechman alt, if you are interested pm me
    I emailed Mechman 2 days ago but they haven't gotten back to me yet. PM sent.

jockhater2 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

I don't understand why your alternators were going bad so quickly. It definitely was not due to the system.
    I ran 1200-1600 watts on my 90amp alternator with a 2nd battery. and the alternator lasted a year. But 2 weeks?

When the new alternator was put in. Was it checked to see if it was charging properly?

Head Unit Pioneer P99RS
    3 Runs of 1/0 OFC Power and 3 Runs of 1/0 OFC Ground
    1 XS Power D3400 & 2 XS Power XP3000 with Copper Bus Bars
    380 Amp & 320 Amp Iraggi Alternators(One is a chevy case, the other ford)
    RD 7500.1 running 2 12 inch SPLaudio (AA Mayhem motors/baskets)
    Tuned to 36 hertz. About 4.5 cubic feet, 8" Aeroport (made by dbeez)
    Zed Audio Leviathan III on Morel MDT-29, RS100-4 & RS225-8 Daytons
    Alex Jones www.infowars.com Endgame, Obama Deception, Truth Rising,
    Fluoride in the water, poison in vaccines, chemical trails in the skyglobal
    elite banks run our government towards a one world global government.

chargdbassbuick is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

i would re-do all my wiring with 100% ofc. you will see less voltage drop then with cca junk

SOLD TO: bravomaster22,st0n3r,tankdylan001,Glaciersoul, BKNIGHTS, ArabonRadar,Djsolo2k5

BOUGHT FROM:bizzy07,psychoacoustics, davidtemple, JoeK #guesswho?

TRADED WITH:

Quote Originally Posted by jdawg View Post
    all cut, cant find anything good like 7 or 8 years ago, you know the economy is bad when you can find good drugs

gckless is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Have you said what amps you are running? If I didn't miss it, how can anyone recommend an alt without knowing power draw? Also, there's no reason your fuse box should be melting unless you have something wired incorrectly, or there is a different and more important issue to the basic function of your car. It might be a good idea to disconnect all your audio gear and see if the symptom continues. If it does, you need to figure that out first.

Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2566-1999-Chevrolet-Blazer&highlight=1999+blazer

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think what was happening is there was flat out too much current draw on my alternator. It melted right at the fused alternator to battery connection. So i've got the new fuse box coming in the mail and I'm going to throw that in once it comes in the mail. I've also got a bunch of 0awg power/ground that I will be doing my big 3 upgrade with which will hopefully lower some resistance under the hood.

I am running an NVX JAD800.4 and a Hifonics BRZ1700.1D, and everything is triggered off a relay. Right now I have everything audio related disconnected. I also disconnected the alternator while I wait for a new one in the mail and I have been trickle charging my battery every night. I can get about 30 minutes of driving time off every battery charge haha.

Anyone know of a good volt meter? I don't want something really bright but I NEED to be able to monitor my voltage from inside the car at this point.

cdc351jeferson is offline Premium Member cdc351jeferson is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

ive run more wattage than that on stock alts without burning my fuse box. maybe recheck and redo your wiring

headunit : Sony xab-601bt
    fronts: infinity kappa 60.9's
    box : Bill Fitzmaurice Truck tuba DD 600series 10"
    amp: Kicker zx500.1
    REFS: Bradfordp2612 , Double 07 , NASTY08IMPALA , mzlady

Closed Thread