Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Sound Quality Problem

narek is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sound Quality Problem

This is going to be a long post and I appreciate anyone who takes the time to read it. I have a 2009 Mini Cooper S with standard stereo. I've replaced all the factory speakers (MB Quart 3.5", JL 6.5" and 6"x9"). All the speakers on the left and all the speakers on the right are connected in series for a ~6.7 ohm load rather than ~1.7 ohm load in parallel. I can change balance left to right, but front to rear fade is not necessary in a cabin as small as the Mini's. I have a Pioneer 10" sub in the rear. They are being driven by a Kicker 400.4 - amp 1 running speakers on high pass and amp 2 running sub bridged mono on low pass. Here is the problem I am having. The amp receives it's signal from the high level speaker outputs from the factory deck and has signal sensing turn on. For some reason we have not been able to determine, there is a huge dropoff in high frequency in the left speakers. Have eliminated the amp as the problem - tried two other kickers and a precision audio amp - all behaved the same. Swapping the high level inputs from left to right still results in the loss of highs in the left speakers. Bypassing the amp altogether and running the speakers off the factory stereo gets the highs back so it is not a speaker problem. Continuity of all wires has been checked and rechecked. I have run out of ideas. The Kicker amp has a fader switch for running off 2- or 4-channel setups - it is set correctly according to Brett from Kicker for a 2-channel setup which I am running. I am using the Mini's front speaker outputs which are full range (the back are high passed for some reason only Mini knows). If anybody has any idea what is happening, please let me know. This has been driving me crazy. Thanks.

mylows10 is offline Dc,tantric,singer,phd rep mylows10 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

mylows10 is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    493 Post(s)

Re: Sound Quality Problem

maybe out of phase ?

pioneer avhx 5500 dvd, gzpa 1.4000 x 2
    ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When I change the balance all the way to left would it not improve when you remove the signal from the right side to get rid of the phase cancelling? You can hear a huge difference between left and right when you switch the balance back and forth.

mylows10 is offline Dc,tantric,singer,phd rep mylows10 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    493 Post(s)

yes

ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

But when I switch the balance all the way left there is still no high end. All the way right there is. When the balance is in the middle it results in a stereo image off to the right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    493 Post(s)

still think its a phase issue,try switching the wires around on the bad side ,see if the works ,also try switching the amp side to rule out an amp issue .you have to check all of this eventually .start with the obvious.

NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mylows10 View Post
    maybe out of phase ?
    this^....sounds like you have one of the speakers on the left channel out of phase.

"Bailout: Taking a trillion dollars from the people and giving it to the banks so the banks can loan it back to the people, at interest!"

ewadz3006 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

swap the left and right rca's to see if it goes to the right side. does sound like a phase issue though.

I feel sorry for those who do not drink, when they wake up on the morning that's the best they're going to feel all day.-Frank Sinatra

2004 mercury mountaineer
    Hu Kenwood excelon x996
    Fronts Incriminator audio comps
    Front amp Aq 120.4
    sub amp Aq2200d
    subs 2 sundown sa 12's @ 32hz
    wiring knu 1/0 ofc

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have tried the rca swap and the problem remains on the left. I have to pull apart the kick panel to check the wiring down there for phase. Thanks for the suggestions and I will let you know how I make out.

Closed Thread