Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Got a weird noise in my system after new amp installed...need some help

Xtremevette is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Got a weird noise in my system after new amp installed...need some help

Ok so before everybody hits me with SEARCH....my problem is pretty unique in the sound it is making.

I have a 5 channel amp and it is noise free...no problems. (except some minor alternator whine)
    I have a 4 channel amp and it too was noise free. (except some minor alternator whine)

I decided to try a different 4 channel and after I installed it with no other changes, I now have a weird noise that I had originally but thought I got rid of by changing grounds and moving wires around. With the car off, not running, when I power up the amps and have the gains all the way down, volume all the way down, I get a medium/high pitch hum that after a second or two starts to play random tones. Sounds like a computer star trek hearing test or something. If I increase the gains...the noise gets worst.

This amp is brand new. It is a Soundstream Picasso Nano 4.320. My old amp is a Boss Chaos.

Now I have had this system noise since day one but after messing around with grounds and moving wires I was able to get rid of it with the Boss Amp. Now its back when the only thing I have done is change amps. ???

Need some help/advice. I have tried everything. It is really weird.
    Could the Picasso 4 channel be bad or just built differently that it picks up noise more? Iam not sure how amps work to pick up on noise or filter it out.

My 5 channel (Planet Audio amp) doesn't have this problem at all. I tried my new Soundstream Ref 5.1000 amp and it to does not have the problem.

I do have an elaborate setup since Iam running a 5 channel and 4 channel amp. I have 2 sets of RCAs (front and rear) coming from my head unit going into a DSP/EQ. The DSP/EQ has 3 sets of RCA's that come out of it, 1 set is for subs and 1 set is for Ch 1&2 and both sets go directly to the 5 channel. The last set goes to a line driver/center channel processor as it's main input. The line driver/center channel processor then has 1 set going to the 5 channel as Ch 3&4 and 2 sets go to the 4 channel. This way I have not used Y adapters and all the splitting is being done actively by the processor.

With the line driver/center processor out of the loop I still get the same problem.

This has been driving me nuts. I mean I am grateful that I got rid of it with my old amp, but puzzled why with only changing to the new amp that the noise is back only x10 worst then when I started. Are amps picky and require you to move the grounds? Meaning one amp may like ground point A and another may like ground point B?

I dunno its a very strange sound..not a typical hum or hiss. This sounds more like I am hearing my cars computer through my speakers when I turn my amps on.

I also get alternator whine too with either amp. With the Boss I get less.

Iam using premium top notch monster cables.
    I have my RCAs running down the center of my car and have tried moving them...doesn't help.
    I have my power running all by itself down the right side of the car...it doesn't come near the RCA's except in the rear where it has to cross over them. I did hold the RCA's up at this position, it didn't make any difference. Noise still present.

I was going to try to remove the EQ just for ha'ha's but was still thinking...the probably had been eliminated to the point I can't hear it with my old amp but yet can with the new amp...so hmmm do I really want to try this. Sounds like the amp is faulty or just overly sensitive in amplifying the noise vs my boss unit?

Oh and I pulled both RCA's off the input to the amp. Problem when away. Of course I have no sound then at all though. So the sound is being introduced through the RCAs or a combination of something once the RCAs are plugged in. I tried using a set that was originally going directly from the DSP to the 5 channel, I still get the same problem out of the 4 channel but not out of the 5 channel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Re: Got a weird noise in my system after new amp installed...need some help

What HU are you using?

"Bailout: Taking a trillion dollars from the people and giving it to the banks so the banks can loan it back to the people, at interest!"

knightsdaze is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Xtremevette View Post
    Ok so before everybody hits me with SEARCH....my problem is pretty unique in the sound it is making.

I have a 5 channel amp and it is noise free...no problems. (except some minor alternator whine)
    I have a 4 channel amp and it too was noise free. (except some minor alternator whine)

I decided to try a different 4 channel and after I installed it with no other changes, I now have a weird noise that I had originally but thought I got rid of by changing grounds and moving wires around. With the car off, not running, when I power up the amps and have the gains all the way down, volume all the way down, I get a medium/high pitch hum that after a second or two starts to play random tones. Sounds like a computer star trek hearing test or something. If I increase the gains...the noise gets worst.

This amp is brand new. It is a Soundstream Picasso Nano 4.320. My old amp is a Boss Chaos.

Now I have had this system noise since day one but after messing around with grounds and moving wires I was able to get rid of it with the Boss Amp. Now its back when the only thing I have done is change amps. ???

Need some help/advice. I have tried everything. It is really weird.
    Could the Picasso 4 channel be bad or just built differently that it picks up noise more? Iam not sure how amps work to pick up on noise or filter it out.

My 5 channel (Planet Audio amp) doesn't have this problem at all. I tried my new Soundstream Ref 5.1000 amp and it to does not have the problem.

I do have an elaborate setup since Iam running a 5 channel and 4 channel amp. I have 2 sets of RCAs (front and rear) coming from my head unit going into a DSP/EQ. The DSP/EQ has 3 sets of RCA's that come out of it, 1 set is for subs and 1 set is for Ch 1&2 and both sets go directly to the 5 channel. The last set goes to a line driver/center channel processor as it's main input. The line driver/center channel processor then has 1 set going to the 5 channel as Ch 3&4 and 2 sets go to the 4 channel. This way I have not used Y adapters and all the splitting is being done actively by the processor.

With the line driver/center processor out of the loop I still get the same problem.

This has been driving me nuts. I mean I am grateful that I got rid of it with my old amp, but puzzled why with only changing to the new amp that the noise is back only x10 worst then when I started. Are amps picky and require you to move the grounds? Meaning one amp may like ground point A and another may like ground point B?

I dunno its a very strange sound..not a typical hum or hiss. This sounds more like I am hearing my cars computer through my speakers when I turn my amps on.

I also get alternator whine too with either amp. With the Boss I get less.

Iam using premium top notch monster cables.
    I have my RCAs running down the center of my car and have tried moving them...doesn't help.
    I have my power running all by itself down the right side of the car...it doesn't come near the RCA's except in the rear where it has to cross over them. I did hold the RCA's up at this position, it didn't make any difference. Noise still present.

I was going to try to remove the EQ just for ha'ha's but was still thinking...the probably had been eliminated to the point I can't hear it with my old amp but yet can with the new amp...so hmmm do I really want to try this. Sounds like the amp is faulty or just overly sensitive in amplifying the noise vs my boss unit?

Oh and I pulled both RCA's off the input to the amp. Problem when away. Of course I have no sound then at all though. So the sound is being introduced through the RCAs or a combination of something once the RCAs are plugged in. I tried using a set that was originally going directly from the DSP to the 5 channel, I still get the same problem out of the 4 channel but not out of the 5 channel.
    Schizophrenics are people too!!

Electrical- 200amp alt- Optima yellow tops front+back- stinger 10 farad cap- cadence 1/0awg+stinger+knu fuses
    Head unit- Pioneer 9400bh
    EQ- Audiocontrol Four.1
    Active x/over- Audiocontrol 6xs
    Front stage-B.A pro 50se (in sealed centrapod)
    Soundbar- Jbl p652 (NOT for long)
    Midbass- Jl cw800 (in sealed intrapod)
    Subs- 1 RExxx 12 in cust tuned 33hz box@1ohm (thank u Mobile Enclosures)
    Amps- Sub-Orion hcca 2500.1/ Midbass-Alpine pdx 2.150/Components- Alpine pdx 4.150

knightsdaze is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm sorry.. I feel like,. I just got hit with.. ummmm , a 2 ton.. heavy thing

Electrical- 200amp alt- Optima yellow tops front+back- stinger 10 farad cap- cadence 1/0awg+stinger+knu fuses
    Head unit- Pioneer 9400bh
    EQ- Audiocontrol Four.1
    Active x/over- Audiocontrol 6xs
    Front stage-B.A pro 50se (in sealed centrapod)
    Soundbar- Jbl p652 (NOT for long)
    Midbass- Jl cw800 (in sealed intrapod)
    Subs- 1 RExxx 12 in cust tuned 33hz box@1ohm (thank u Mobile Enclosures)
    Amps- Sub-Orion hcca 2500.1/ Midbass-Alpine pdx 2.150/Components- Alpine pdx 4.150

butterMilk is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Bet ya didnt even read it

Closed Thread