Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Installation Question Need Help Please

95Firebird is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Installation Question Need Help Please

Hey and thanks to everyone who responds.

I have one RCA pre-out on my head unit. I have 8 speakers (two of them are tweeters). This will be part of my second question.

My FIRST question is this:

If a speaker is rated at 30W RMS and 180W peak, is it safe to run an amplifier that is rated at 50w per channel? I mean, will this blow the speaker?

My SECOND question/problem is this: I have 8 speakers in my car (two mids up front and 4 mids in the back with the very back mids each wired in parallel to a tweeter (factory). I am running my two front mids off the head unit speaker outputs like normal. I hooked my six rear speakers together (3 speakers hooked together on each side of the car), so as to run off of one set of speaker outputs per side-(one set of speaker outputs drives two mids and one tweeter on each side). I want to hook up a sub. My Head Unit has one pre-out on it. Can I run a 5 channel amplifier like this:

-one channel drives the front left speaker
    -one channel drives the front right speaker
    -one channel drives the three speakers on the left rear
    -one channel drives the three speakers on the right rear
    -one channel drives the sub

The way it is hooked up now sounds "OK" but not optimal at all.

Oh, and the very rear factory speakers are rated at 10 ohms, and the four new mids on the sail panels and front doors are 4 ohms. I don't know if the very rear speakers being 10 ohm speakers is a good or bad thing.

I can rip apart my Firebird and put her back together again, but I kinda **** at audio, watts, ohms, channels, etc.

Any suggestions?

Thanks to anyone who can help!

mylows10 is offline Cali DC PHD & Tantric rep

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    464 Post(s)

Re: Installation Question Need Help Please

ok get a 5 channel amp really all you need to focus on is the front stage and the subs ,you can run them off the amp .now if you have to have the remaining speakers then run 4 of them off the deck outputs [speaker wires].the fronts are prolly components which means the door mids and tweets should be ran together with some kind of crossover.
    so to sum this up the fronts mids in thye lower doors and tweets =4 speakers off the amp.all 4 other speakers off the deck wires and power ,then the subs off the amp .hope this helps

pioneer avhx 5500 dvd, gzpa 1.4000 x 2
    ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks Mylows10.

The front door speakers are new 3-way Kenwoods and have the tweeters right in the middle of the woofers and are not component speakers, but they are rated at 75W RMS each so they will probably need at least 50w to sound decent. So yes I will definitely run an amp to those.

My sail panel speakers are new Kenwoods rated at 30W RMS. I would like to "amp" these also.

My factory rear hatch speakers are small suckers with even smaller tweeters wired into them.

And I just want to run one 12" sub.

Shouldn't I run the amp to the new 2-way Kenwoods, too? Or will 50W blow these 30W RMS speakers?

Could I run a 5 channel 50W X 4 RMS and 1 channel for ***W RMS for sub amplifier?

So it would be like this:

50W to each front door speaker
    50W to each sail panel speaker
    ***W to sub
    Head Unit speaker outputs to factory speakers in the rear hatch
    All via a 5 channel amp (except for the rear hatch speakers)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    464 Post(s)

you can amp the 30 watt speakers in the sails ,just turn the gains down a bit so that you dont blow them.might wanna think about changing the 3 ways in the future ,just not very good speakers and the mid bass really sux

ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

THank you.

Ah....well I am figuring my 12" sub with hundreds of watts going to it will make up for the not so good front door speakers, as far as bass.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    464 Post(s)

it can to a point tho , what amp do you have for your mids and highs ,and what speakers .you may have something else going on we would need to address first

NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

All 6.5 inch mids--I have 3 way Kenwood Performance Series up front, 2 way cheaper Kenwoods in the sails.

I don't have an amp yet. I need to get a decent 5 channel amp it seems.

I can get a cheap Depth Charge 12" sub.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    464 Post(s)

you might wanna do one thing at a time ,work on the frt stage then go from there ,dont waste your money on cheap junk equipment ,you'll be kicking your self in the azz if you do.get better equipment .if it was me ,i'd save some cash ,get a decent amp to start , then start swapping out speakers for better one ,sell the old ones on craigslist to recoop some of your cash and use it for the next set ,then get the sub . a xfl ,sa,dc dcon ,something along those lines .

NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE

gckless is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mylows10 View Post
    you might wanna do one thing at a time ,work on the frt stage then go from there ,dont waste your money on cheap junk equipment ,you'll be kicking your self in the azz if you do.get better equipment .if it was me ,i'd save some cash ,get a decent amp to start , then start swapping out speakers for better one ,sell the old ones on craigslist to recoop some of your cash and use it for the next set ,then get the sub . a xfl ,sa,dc dcon ,something along those lines .
    ^^This. Don't buy cheap stuff just to have everything now, it's just wasting money as you will go back and replace it anyway. Get one good component at a time, install it properly, and eventually you will have a nice system. And don't forget about things like wiring, sub box, and electrical upgrades.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

THanks guys. I'm not a car audio fanatic or anything. I'll be happy with amped Kenwood speakers for now. I will definitely get a good amp and a better sub than the "depth charge" sub. That's an old school sub that was made by Fultron he he he. Now they are known as Memphis I believe.

I'll probably just get a Kicker sub.

The main thing I want is for it to just sound crisp and clear at a decent volume.

I had Kicker component speakers in my 86 IROC, and those things sounded really good with some wattage going to them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    464 Post(s)

yea but kicker is not all that any more .if your interested in a amp and sub give me a budget towork with and ill see what i can do for you

NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm thinking $250 to $300 for a decent 5 channel amp and a 12" sub. I'm not going to be entering any car stereo competitions with it, that's for sure. I just want it to sound good.

I like the bass for rock music and deep, grindy guitar like Type O Negative type guitar---slow, deep, and hard guitar grindage. yeah yeah yeah!!

Check out "Wolf Moon" by Type O Negative.....I'll bet it would sound awesome on whatever system you have.

Quote Originally Posted by mylows10 View Post
    yea but kicker is not all that any more .if your interested in a amp and sub give me a budget towork with and ill see what i can do for you

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    464 Post(s)

well that will get you a decent sub for sure ,but not amp or both ,unless you find a good del on a used amp and sub or buy junk.a good 5 channel amp will cost about 400 shipped , 120 rms x 4 and 800 on the sub channel

NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I figure 40W x 4 and 300 watts to a 12" sub would do me just fine using that Kenwood 5 channel amp. I found one on Amazon for $179.....regular price is near $400. I get the feeling you do not like Kenwood.

What do you recommend? What's the least I can spend and still get good stuff?

I am an engine guy...building a mean 383 stroker right now for my Bird

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    464 Post(s)

prolly 450 -550 if bought new from me. i dont find to many guys that can beat my price for new equipment /with warranty

NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE

Closed Thread