Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)

wiring 3 subs

i feel retarded for even asking, but what do Three 4ohm DVC subs wire down to in parallel?

2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5rs
    Head Unit- Kenwood Excelon KDC-X695
    Front doors- Rockford Prime 6.5" components
    Rear doors- Rockford Punch 4" coax's
    Amp- DC 2.0K
    Subs- Audioque HDC3 12" D1
    Box- TBA

gckless is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1820 Post(s)

Re: wiring 3 subs

Quote Originally Posted by ab18vfl View Post
    i feel retarded for even asking, but what do Three 4ohm DVC subs wire down to in parallel?
    If you want to learn :Subwoofer Wiring Diagrams Understand Ohms Law

If all you care about is the answer: 2.67ohms (Subwoofer Wiring Diagrams, Three 4 ohm Dual Voice Coil (DVC) Speakers)

Edit: Sorry, that was for series/parallel. If you did all parallel you should get about 1.3ohms.
    Last edited by gckless; 10-14-2012 at 03:11 AM. Reason: Sorry, that was for series/parallel.

audiobaun is offline Premium Member audiobaun is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1407 Post(s)

Subwoofer Wiring Diagrams, Three 4 ohm Dual Voice Coil (DVC) Speakers
    Keep this for future reference/bookmark the page.If you can run one more sub, or just a pair, you should get better performance out of the subs as well as the amp, never the less, here is a chart that you can utilize for now, and future reference

Chriszle is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    373 Post(s)

You can also wire to .67. parallel/parallel.

Chriszle is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    373 Post(s)

It is far less desirable to make subwoofer to subwoofer connections in series. Due to slight and unavoidable differences between speakers and the high likelihood of uneven loading between different speakers in a car, there will be slight differences in the mechanical behavior of the two speakers in series. These differences in movement result in the creation of induced voltage (called back EMF) by the speakers across the series connection. This effect causes a problem when two speakers that behave differently are connected in series because the speakers can modulate each other (cause each other to move), resulting in distortion. The problem becomes more serious as more speakers are connected in series.

The following is a good experiment to show the effect of back EMF: connect four speakers in series and short the positive and negative input leads of the series circuit. Push down on one cone with your hand; you will notice that the three other speakers will move in the opposite direction of the one you are pushing. Now, reconnect the speakers in parallel, short the inputs and push down on one cone. The speakers will not modulate each other because each one is shorted directly.

Back EMF modulation is not a concern when the voice coils of a dual voice coil speaker are wired in series to each other because the coils are physically coupled on one moving mass. Therefore, they cannot possibly modulate each other because they cannot move independently.

knightsdaze is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chriszle View Post
    It is far less desirable to make subwoofer to subwoofer connections in series. Due to slight and unavoidable differences between speakers and the high likelihood of uneven loading between different speakers in a car, there will be slight differences in the mechanical behavior of the two speakers in series. These differences in movement result in the creation of induced voltage (called back EMF) by the speakers across the series connection. This effect causes a problem when two speakers that behave differently are connected in series because the speakers can modulate each other (cause each other to move), resulting in distortion. The problem becomes more serious as more speakers are connected in series.

The following is a good experiment to show the effect of back EMF: connect four speakers in series and short the positive and negative input leads of the series circuit. Push down on one cone with your hand; you will notice that the three other speakers will move in the opposite direction of the one you are pushing. Now, reconnect the speakers in parallel, short the inputs and push down on one cone. The speakers will not modulate each other because each one is shorted directly.

Back EMF modulation is not a concern when the voice coils of a dual voice coil speaker are wired in series to each other because the coils are physically coupled on one moving mass. Therefore, they cannot possibly modulate each other because they cannot move independently.
    Bro.. I'm pretty sure Ab18vfl's head just exploded.. Simplicity is a BEAUTIFUL thing.. I consider myself to be RELATIVELY proficient when it comes to car audio wiring, and you just made my head spin!.. The kid has 32 posts to date, and you threw a shatload of info at him, regarding phase and such.. he hasnt responded so I think you may have scared him away. lol! that being said you OBVIOUSLY KNOW what ur talking about, BUT he's just asking a cumulative question regarding 3 dvc subs in series, and you hit him with a boatload of advanced info.. If he was talking about 2 subs you couldve explained how 180 degree phase mod is necessary, but I think he was just looking for how many ohms his sub amp would see.. IM NOT SAYING you're wrong at all, but sometimes the simple answer is best... NO OFFENSE INTENDED..

Electrical- 200amp alt- Optima yellow tops front+back- stinger 10 farad cap- cadence 1/0awg+stinger+knu fuses
    Head unit- Pioneer 9400bh
    EQ- Audiocontrol Four.1
    Active x/over- Audiocontrol 6xs
    Front stage-B.A pro 50se (in sealed centrapod)
    Soundbar- Jbl p652 (NOT for long)
    Midbass- Jl cw800 (in sealed intrapod)
    Subs- 1 RExxx 12 in cust tuned 33hz box@1ohm (thank u Mobile Enclosures)
    Amps- Sub-Orion hcca 2500.1/ Midbass-Alpine pdx 2.150/Components- Alpine pdx 4.150

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1188 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by knightsdaze View Post
    Bro.. I'm pretty sure Ab18vfl's head just exploded.. Simplicity is a BEAUTIFUL thing.. I consider myself to be RELATIVELY proficient when it comes to car audio wiring, and you just made my head spin!.. The kid has 32 posts to date, and you threw a shatload of info at him, regarding phase and such.. he hasnt responded so I think you may have scared him away. lol! that being said you OBVIOUSLY KNOW what ur talking about, BUT he's just asking a cumulative question regarding 3 dvc subs in series, and you hit him with a boatload of advanced info.. If he was talking about 2 subs you couldve explained how 180 degree phase mod is necessary, but I think he was just looking for how many ohms his sub amp would see.. IM NOT SAYING you're wrong at all, but sometimes the simple answer is best... NO OFFENSE INTENDED..
    lol...no ****, this is why it is always good to run series wired subs in separate chambers...but in most cases, I will wire individual coils in series and wire the individual subs in parallel and in this case a common chamber is ok....but to answer the OP, the options are series coil/parallel subs for 2.67, or parallel coils/series subs for 6 ohms....or parallel all the way for .67 ohm.

"Bailout: Taking a trillion dollars from the people and giving it to the banks so the banks can loan it back to the people, at interest!"

Closed Thread