Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Using side post terminals on yellow optima

butterMilk is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Using side post terminals on yellow optima

I have 1 run of 0 gauge wire coming off the positive side post of a yellow top optima. Just reading through the instructions for the battery and it says this, "Use top terminals for accessory and vehicle starting applications. Only use battery side terminals for automobile starting applications. Never connect a winch to a side terminals."

What does all that really mean? I didn't think it would be a problem to use the side terminals.

gckless is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Re: Using side post terminals on yellow optima

Quote Originally Posted by heebs 09gts View Post
    I have 1 run of 0 gauge wire coming off the positive side post of a yellow top optima. Just reading through the instructions for the battery and it says this, "Use top terminals for accessory and vehicle starting applications. Only use battery side terminals for automobile starting applications. Never connect a winch to a side terminals."

What does all that really mean? I didn't think it would be a problem to use the side terminals.
    Pretty sure they are connected together internally. I mean really, what could possibly be the difference? It's not like you're getting higher voltage from either. I don't see why Optima says this. Only thing I can think of is maybe the side post will allow more current to be passed, because of some internal configuration. But even that don't really make sense, because they say you can use the top post for starting applications too. Sorry, just thinking out loud. I would say you should be just fine.

Anyone else know for sure?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks. The battery comes with a good warranty anyway so i shouldn't be to worried.

audiobaun is offline Premium Member audiobaun is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

I wouldnt worry about it as stated above.Its a side by side connected post internally.Shouldnt post an issue.If you are concerned, you can always get top post battery connection fro Orileys/Autozone for less than $10bucks and run it that way.Ive done that on mine, as it is easier for me to diconnect /ect,and have room.You can also get a pos connection extended post for side mount fairly cheap if you need a bit more.But I think you will be just fine

akheathen is offline trianoacitol contraceptiv akheathen is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

most optimas i've seen and all i've owned (15+) are set up with the side post being a cast flat-bar/bung coming from the top post. core form of an optima is top post, btw. i'm sure there might be some electrical characteristic to it, like added corrosion and such, but the big thing is the physical. the standard connection provides only about 4 threads holding. adding another ring terminal increases the chance of stripping. doing it correctly with adapeters that either increse the depth, or bolt to the shaft end, having used both, add a great deal of mass. maybe optima has figured out, just like how charge tempramental they are, that the terminal system is a physically weak link. all i know, is that they perform well, when they are working, but are real easy to kill....way too easy, and not cheap to replace, lol. i use x2power batteries now. haven't looked back. optima can shove my 3500 worth of batteries back up their arse, where they seem to have came from...

*IF I have forgotten to exchange feedback, please let me know*
    i buy broken amps....
    No, i will not "gift" paypal. please do not even make it awkward by asking. if the fees are an issue, I am usually inclined to add them. unless you have discount elsewhere, shipping is through usps flat rate, through usps parcel post, or through the roof..... i am in alaska. thanks
    -Heath H-

knightsdaze is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I spoke with an Optima rep on the phone, and he told me that the side post terminals are only internally connected to the top posts with a thin piece of lead.. He HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that tou only use the side post teminals for low volt/amp connections...

Electrical- 200amp alt- Optima yellow tops front+back- stinger 10 farad cap- cadence 1/0awg+stinger+knu fuses
    Head unit- Pioneer 9400bh
    EQ- Audiocontrol Four.1
    Active x/over- Audiocontrol 6xs
    Front stage-B.A pro 50se (in sealed centrapod)
    Soundbar- Jbl p652 (NOT for long)
    Midbass- Jl cw800 (in sealed intrapod)
    Subs- 1 RExxx 12 in cust tuned 33hz box@1ohm (thank u Mobile Enclosures)
    Amps- Sub-Orion hcca 2500.1/ Midbass-Alpine pdx 2.150/Components- Alpine pdx 4.150

7. Thanks Devil Tiger thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When I mentioned using the side post + to directly feed an amp he said DON'T DO IT.

Electrical- 200amp alt- Optima yellow tops front+back- stinger 10 farad cap- cadence 1/0awg+stinger+knu fuses
    EQ- Audiocontrol Four.1
    Amps- Sub-Orion hcca 2500.1/ Midbass-Alpine pdx 2.150/Components- Alpine pdx 4.150

9. Thanks Devil Tiger thanked for this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ah ****. I have 0 gauge hooked to the side post, powering 2 amps. Guess Ill have to switch it up. Sux cuz I bought the one with side post for the ease of hooking up lots of wires. From what I gather, the side post is pretty much useless!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I bought 2 of em for the same reason and I called Optima JUST to make sure it was ok and the guy was adamant that the side posts were for low votage/draw accs. only. Kind of a bummer, BUT it still allows you to run the head unit/act xovers/E.q.'s/line drivers/relays etc. off the side post which gives you a lot more room to work with the top posts.. a lot less cluttered.
    Ah ****. I have 0 gauge hooked to the side post, powering 2 amps. Guess Ill have to switch it up. Sux cuz I bought the one with side post for the ease of hooking up lots of wires. From what I gather, the side post is pretty much useless!

EQ- Audiocontrol Four.1

Closed Thread