Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Big system, multiple batteries. wot do?

Vagomire is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Big system, multiple batteries. wot do?

Hey I'm sure this has been posted a hundred times before but here's my question.
    I have a small car with a 90amp stock alternater. I'm putting a 1700w RMS amplifier in it lol.

I have heard four different things.

1. Dual batteries must be the SAME battery otherwise voltage will be off and they fight each other.
    2. Dual batteries have to be the same TYPE of battery (ex. Sealed Lead Acid).
    3. It doesn't matter what size or type of battery either one is, one should be deep cycle though.
    4. Just get one huge *** battery for the trunk and take the hood battery out.

I'm asking because I have a Duralast acid battery under the hood and I don't know how well two of those would work for such a big system.

Another question, just ground both batteries to the chassis or run a pos and neg wire between the two in addition to chassis ground?

DD CM1000 + two DD 1000 12s
    DD C5c + Type R midwoofers and DD tweets.

Quote Originally Posted by BradButlerNC
    Your d1ck? Your gf told me it had a pretty short mounting depth. Mine on the other hand i had to use a spacer baffle because it wouldnt clear the rear panel.

mclerico83 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Re: Big system, multiple batteries. wot do?

i have an isolator to seperate your front battery from your rear. sell it for 40 bucks shipped. than get one huge battery in the rear and it has to be sealed in the rear. this is how i would do it because it guarentees your front battery not getting screwed up and stranding you somewhere with only a 90 amp alt.

plus do the big 3 upgrade

Stinger S2402 240 Amp 3 Post Battery Isolator - S2402

mclerico83 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

sams club has duracell agm batteries for 99 bucks or o'reily's has them for 150. Also die hard plat at sears, they sometimes have great deals.

SourDeez is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

just get like 15 batteries bro

Headunit - Stock cassette player - Pioneer P9400
    Front Stage - Pyle 8 inch subs (1000 watt peak!!) - Polk DB6.5 (about to be CDT 6.5s)
    Rear stage - Deleted (stolen) - Deleted
    Sub stage - custom built 15 inch sony xplod (5k watt peak!!!) (huge box) - Two SA12's built by Corey
    Sub amp - Pyle 8000w peak!! (spl edition) - AQ2200
    Electircal - 35 amp alt from ford festiva upgrade, stolen battery, 28 gauge solder coil for my cable - Dual D34 Yellows, 1/0 trystar OFC, 135amp alt

itsblown is offline why is there smoke?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vagomire View Post
    Hey I'm sure this has been posted a hundred times before but here's my question.
    I have a small car with a 90amp stock alternater. I'm putting a 1700w RMS amplifier in it lol.

I have heard four different things.

1. Dual batteries must be the SAME battery otherwise voltage will be off and they fight each other.
    2. Dual batteries have to be the same TYPE of battery (ex. Sealed Lead Acid).
    3. It doesn't matter what size or type of battery either one is, one should be deep cycle though.
    4. Just get one huge *** battery for the trunk and take the hood battery out.

I'm asking because I have a Duralast acid battery under the hood and I don't know how well two of those would work for such a big system.

Another question, just ground both batteries to the chassis or run a pos and neg wire between the two in addition to chassis ground?
    who ever told you to get rid of the stock battery in the front is a retard.
    who ever told you that you needed to have 2 exact matching batteries same company same brand or else one will pull voltage off the other is correct, that is if you dont have a battery isolator. With a battery isolater you can run 2 different kinds of batteries.

depending on how efficient your amp is however you may not need an extra battery. If you do install the system and have really bad voltage drop I would then price out the cost of these new batteries+ a possible isolator+ more power wire against the price of a new alternator. with an h/o alt you might not even touch the stock battery and ideally it would run almost completely off the alternator

wickedwitt is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Do NOT take out your front battery. Change them both over to sealed AGM if possible. If not possible now, run AGM in the back and leave the stock battery until you can replace it. I've had a conventional batt up front with AGMs in back for more than five years now with no issues. That is not saying you won't have issues in the future if you do the same for an extended period of time.

Stupid Loud.

Vagomire is offline Senior VIP Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So how do I wire in the battery isolator? Switch it off when I'm driving so that the car runs on the hood battery and the stereo runs off the trunk battery? Then turn it back on for a few minutes after I'm done playing to let the trunk battery charge back up?

DD CM1000 + two DD 1000 12s
    DD C5c + Type R midwoofers and DD tweets.

Quote Originally Posted by BradButlerNC
    Your d1ck? Your gf told me it had a pretty short mounting depth. Mine on the other hand i had to use a spacer baffle because it wouldnt clear the rear panel.

Closed Thread