Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Less power?

Okay so say I were to purchase an MB quart 4.60 and some infinity 2-way 6.5's. The speakers are 75 wrms @ 2 ohms, but the amp would be 120 wrms at 2 ohms. This would obviously be overpowering them by a lot, is there any way to fix this? Will tweaking the gain help? Thank you!

gckless is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1839 Post(s)

Re: Less power?

Quote Originally Posted by JJ30 View Post
    Okay so say I were to purchase an MB quart 4.60 and some infinity 2-way 6.5's. The speakers are 75 wrms @ 2 ohms, but the amp would be 120 wrms at 2 ohms. This would obviously be overpowering them by a lot, is there any way to fix this? Will tweaking the gain help? Thank you!

Yes, it will.

3. Thanks JJ30 thanked for this post
    knightsdaze is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JJ30 View Post
    I wouldn't "tweak" the gain.. Just be aware of your speakers RMS power handling capability, and dont crank the head units volume to the point where your'e asking the speakers to accept more power than they're designed for.. Gain settings are such a common question and point of discussion in this forum.. I suggest that you set ur gains with a dmm at least, or a dd-1 at best (or with an o-scope). Both the dd-1 + oscilloscope will allow you to set ur amp gains properly. You won't get that true 120 rms unless ur cranking the hell outta the head units volume anyway. hope this helped.

Electrical- 200amp alt- Optima yellow tops front+back- stinger 10 farad cap- cadence 1/0awg+stinger+knu fuses
    Head unit- Pioneer 9400bh
    EQ- Audiocontrol Four.1
    Active x/over- Audiocontrol 6xs
    Front stage-B.A pro 50se (in sealed centrapod)
    Soundbar- Jbl p652 (NOT for long)
    Midbass- Jl cw800 (in sealed intrapod)
    Subs- 1 RExxx 12 in cust tuned 33hz box@1ohm (thank u Mobile Enclosures)
    Amps- Sub-Orion hcca 2500.1/ Midbass-Alpine pdx 2.150/Components- Alpine pdx 4.150

gckless is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1839 Post(s)

If you know how to properly set your gain, then you know your maximum gain setting. You can turn it as far down as you like from there, just not up.

audiobaun is offline Premium Member audiobaun is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1409 Post(s)

You will be just fine..start at bare min, and work your way up, you should not have any issues,actually, the amp will run a bit cooler/easier at lower gain settings,and you have room /headroom for additions

Chriszle is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    373 Post(s)

I'm running quite a bit more power than that 2 my stock infinity speakers, granted they are components not 2 ways. Set the gains properly and make sure you are not going past the mechanical limits of the speakers, thermally they should handle that amp fine.

knightsdaze is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gckless View Post
    If you know how to properly set your gain, then you know your maximum gain setting. You can turn it as far down as you like from there, just not up.
    This is true.. I'm just sayin that I think setting ur gains and playing it smart with the volume seems easier to me.. I've run a pair of JBL p652's off a alpine pdx 4.150 for a few years and never smoked em.. I just didn't lean on the volume to hard..

Electrical- 200amp alt- Optima yellow tops front+back- stinger 10 farad cap- cadence 1/0awg+stinger+knu fuses
    Head unit- Pioneer 9400bh
    EQ- Audiocontrol Four.1
    Active x/over- Audiocontrol 6xs
    Front stage-B.A pro 50se (in sealed centrapod)
    Soundbar- Jbl p652 (NOT for long)
    Midbass- Jl cw800 (in sealed intrapod)
    Subs- 1 RExxx 12 in cust tuned 33hz box@1ohm (thank u Mobile Enclosures)
    Amps- Sub-Orion hcca 2500.1/ Midbass-Alpine pdx 2.150/Components- Alpine pdx 4.150

goingdef is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    864 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by knightsdaze View Post
    This is true.. I'm just sayin that I think setting ur gains and playing it smart with the volume seems easier to me.. I've run a pair of JBL p652's off a alpine pdx 4.150 for a few years and never smoked em.. I just didn't lean on the volume to hard..
    I'm with you man I run a T600.2 on my mb Qseries comps it's set to go to it's full output @4ohms and crossed over to not exceed the mechanical limits of the mid driver and they have been fine for years and there getting more then double there rms, but if anything with the dynamics of music there never really seeing anywhere close to what there set for.

electrical: Optima yellow top X 2 big 3 in monster OFC 1/0g high output alt by maniac electrics
    HU: JVC AVX-77 touch screen
    Front stage: RE XXX 6.5" comps
    front stage amp: Rockford T600.2
    subs: 1 Sundown ZV4 12"
    sub amp: Rockford T2500.1BDCP
    Enclosure: ported (by JayDubb757 )

Closed Thread

User Tag List