Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)

sears diehard platinum?

I heard the sears diehard platinum is a good battery for the money... is this a good battery?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1188 Post(s)

Re: sears diehard platinum?

I am sure they work...but over priced for what you get. Compare the following:

Kinetik HC1800 (KHC1800) 1900 Amp 12V Car Audio Power Cell

Max burst amps: 1900
    Cranking amps: 1350
    Amp Hours: 81
    Weight: 54 lbs.
    Dimensions: 6-1/2”D x 10”W x 8-1/4”H

DieHard Platinum Automotive Battery - Group Size 34 (Price with Exchange) - Automotive - Batteries - Car Batteries
    Group Size: 34
    Height (In.): 7.8
    Item Weight (lbs.): 53.0
    Length (in.): 10.9
    Width (in.): 6.8
    Power Ratings:
    Amp Hours at 20 Hour Rate: 68
    Cold Cranking Amps (CCA at 0 deg.F): 880

LOL...The Kinetiks has almost twice as much battery in the same size case for the same $$( actually much less considering no exchange required)

"Bailout: Taking a trillion dollars from the people and giving it to the banks so the banks can loan it back to the people, at interest!"

3. Thanks acura3.2tl thanked for this post
    Dislikes kushy_dreams disliked this post
    audiobaun is offline Premium Member audiobaun is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1409 Post(s)

id even take a look at orileys agm batts,i run a pair,and great batts with a 7 yr prorated warranty/3yr free replacement

5. Thanks acura3.2tl thanked for this post
    shadow is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)

This is what u get with the Sears Plat. 4-year FREE Replacement, 100 Month Pro-Rated Limited Warranty
    Can u get A Bat with more amps? sure
    Can u get one with a better warranty? I don't know of any....

7. Thanks acura3.2tl thanked for this post
    Ignatowski is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)

Costcos Kirkland brand is all I use
    Made by Johnson controls,for regular daily drivers Johnson is as
    good as they get
    plus costco has THE best warrentys

9. Thanks acura3.2tl thanked for this post
    TaylorFade is offline I fail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1189 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by quackhead View Post

DieHard Platinum Automotive Battery - Group Size 34 (Price with Exchange) - Automotive - Batteries - Car Batteries
    Power Ratings:

LOL...The Kinetiks has almost twice as much battery in the same size case for the same $$( actually much less considering no exchange required)
    First... the Kinetic doesn't say at what rate the Ah is. Amp hours are not a standard measurement and are sometimes quoted for a different rate. See how the DieHard is listed as a 20 hour rate? The Kinetic could be using a 12 hour rate (which is common to inflate the ratings). Not saying that's the case, but you have to look behind the numbers.

Also, the DieHard lists cold cranking amps. The Kinetic lists cranking amps. There is a significant difference there which is why Kinetic only lists the higher one. "Cold cranking amps" is what the batt can discharge for 30 seconds at 0*F without falling below 7.2v. Cranking amps is the same test but at 32*F. The difference between the two is usually ~ 20%. The DieHard stil falls short, but if you look at the weights and footprints, the Kinetic looks to have ZERO structural reinforcement. You want that under your hood? They stuffed a ton of batt into a thin plastic box. Maybe great for a rear batt, but I'll take the DieHard with a 4 year replacement warranty for under the hood. And I'd get a matching one or two while I was at it because I know who OEM's those Platinums.

Quote Originally Posted by eCrack View Post
    TaylorFail
    Quote Originally Posted by Suicide Bobb View Post
    Taylorfail, v.2
    Quote Originally Posted by Imtjnotu View Post
    tailorFail v.3
    Quote Originally Posted by brodeisel View Post
    TaylorFail v.4
    Quote Originally Posted by tat2bass View Post
    TaylorWin v.1?

rebelfromva is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1605 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TaylorFade View Post
    First... the Kinetic doesn't say at what rate the Ah is. Amp hours are not a standard measurement and are sometimes quoted for a different rate. See how the DieHard is listed as a 20 hour rate? The Kinetic could be using a 12 hour rate (which is common to inflate the ratings). Not saying that's the case, but you have to look behind the numbers.

Also, the DieHard lists cold cranking amps. The Kinetic lists cranking amps. There is a significant difference there which is why Kinetic only lists the higher one. "Cold cranking amps" is what the batt can discharge for 30 seconds at 0*F without falling below 7.2v. Cranking amps is the same test but at 32*F. The difference between the two is usually ~ 20%. The DieHard stil falls short, but if you look at the weights and footprints, the Kinetic looks to have ZERO structural reinforcement. You want that under your hood? They stuffed a ton of batt into a thin plastic box. Maybe great for a rear batt, but I'll take the DieHard with a 4 year replacement warranty for under the hood. And I'd get a matching one or two while I was at it because I know who OEM's those Platinums.
    Odyssey

09 Cobalt LT
    Headunit -Alpine CDA-9887
    Front Stage - PHD FB 6.1 PRO SIX M/B, FB 5.1 m/b, FB 1.1b tweets
    Highs amp -Pheonix Gold Xenon 100.4 & 200.4
    Sub stage - 2 DC M2 LVL 5 12s
    Sub amp - 2 DC 5.0Ks
    Electrical - Singer 270 alt, big 3 0/1 & 12g ofc audio technix, 2 XS d3400s
    Deadener - 80 mill Audiotechnix deadener
    "Trunk hit hard like Kimbo Slice"
    TEAM DC AUDIO

12. Likes Kangaroux liked this post
    Kangaroux is offline I put on

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1488 Post(s)

I would take the Diehards. 4 year warranty is GREAT. Also, just because a battery seems to have good specs doesn't mean it's actually good. It's the same thing as saying 2 amps that look similar will perform the same.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1188 Post(s)

I understand the warranty issue with buying batteries. I can only speak from experience with the Kinetik..no other battery I have ever owned has lasted almost 5 yrs with a system running off of it. Never had a single battery related issue from it. Certainly not a structural issue, as seemingly implied.
    I understand one can speculate all they want as far as the ratings are concerned...but that is all it is, pure speculation. If I walked into Sears and on the shelf sat the Kinetiks HC1800 next to the Sears Die Hard Platinum AGM mentioned earlier for the same price, I would not hesitate to pick up the Kinetik and walk out the door a satisfied repeat customer.....especially since Sears normally sells the Kinetik HC1800 for $315.00 Kinetik Kinetik KHC1800 Vehicle Battery - 81000 mAh - Sealed Lead Acid - 12 V DC--KHC1800 - Automotive - Battery Accessories - Battery Chargers

ps..if Kinetik did use a 10 or 12 hr rate on the Ah, the 20 hr rate will be upwards of 90Ah, based on every other AGM deep cycle I have researched that does provide that info.

"Bailout: Taking a trillion dollars from the people and giving it to the banks so the banks can loan it back to the people, at interest!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1189 Post(s)

I understand the warranty issue with buying batteries. I can only speak from experience with the Kinetik..no other battery I have ever owned has lasted almost 5 yrs with a system running off of it. Never had a single battery related issue from it. Certainly not a structural issue, as seemingly implied.
    I understand one can speculate all they want as far as the ratings are concerned...but that is all it is, pure speculation. If I walked into Sears and on the shelf sat the Kinetiks HC1800 next to the Sears Die Hard Platinum AGM mentioned earlier for the same price, I would not hesitate to pick up the Kinetik and walk out the door a satisfied repeat customer.....especially since Sears normally sells the Kinetik HC1800 for $315.00 Kinetik Kinetik KHC1800 Vehicle Battery - 81000 mAh - Sealed Lead Acid - 12 V DC--KHC1800 - Automotive - Battery Accessories - Battery Chargers

ps..if Kinetik did use a 10 or 12 hr rate on the Ah, the 20 hr rate will be upwards of 90Ah, based on every other AGM deep cycle I have researched that does provide that info.
    It isn't speculation though. Not sure if you meant I was making shit up or not, but if they used a 10 or 12hr rate, the 20hr rate would be lower. Not higher.

Glad you've had luck with Kinetic. I don't care for them though.

TaylorFail
    Taylorfail, v.2
    tailorFail v.3
    TaylorFail v.4
    TaylorWin v.1?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1188 Post(s)

It isn't speculation though. Not sure if you meant I was making shit up or not, but if they used a 10 or 12hr rate, the 20hr rate would be lower. Not higher.

Glad you've had luck with Kinetic. I don't care for them though.
    By using your prized Odyssey as an example, EVERY single AGM battery they make, except for one (the little PC680, it keeps the same 16 Ah rating for both the 10 and 20 hr) the 10 hour rating is lower than the 20 hour rating....same with East Penn and Concorde AGM's.

I did not say you were making anything up...you were merely speculating that the HC 1800 might not use the same measurement to determine stated Ah as the Sears batt....you were speculating, not me. I see no reason that the stated Ah on the HC1800 cannot be based on a 20 hour timeline. I have not cut the two batteries in half and actually measured the thickness of the casing to determine how thick the Sears is between the ribs, nor how thick the Kinetik is uniformally, but they are tough enough to withstand a proper secure install, as you would do with any battery. OP asked if the Sears AGM was a good batt, I simply stated that they will work, and also pointed out there are far superior available that are designed specifically for the purpose of Car Audio.

Warranty was never brought up in OP, therefore one should assume the question was based on a performance standpoint, in which I care not for a Sears battery either.

ps, Sears does not make a G24 batt in the Platinum, and good luck getting a G34 batt to fit in a Acura

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1189 Post(s)

By using your prized Odyssey as an example, EVERY single AGM battery they make, except for one (the little PC680, it keeps the same 16 Ah rating for both the 10 and 20 hr) the 10 hour rating is lower than the 20 hour rating....same with East Penn and Concorde AGM's.

I did not say you were making anything up...you were merely speculating that the HC 1800 might not use the same measurement to determine stated Ah as the Sears batt....you were speculating, not me. I see no reason that the stated Ah on the HC1800 cannot be based on a 20 hour timeline. I have not cut the two batteries in half and actually measured the thickness of the casing to determine how thick the Sears is between the ribs, nor how thick the Kinetik is uniformally, but they are tough enough to withstand a proper secure install, as you would do with any battery. OP asked if the Sears AGM was a good batt, I simply stated that they will work, and also pointed out there are far superior available that are designed specifically for the purpose of Car Audio.

Warranty was never brought up in OP, therefore one should assume the question was based on a performance standpoint, in which I care not for a Sears battery either.
    There's a reason my Odysseys are prized. And there is a reason Kinetic has a bad rap. And not just by me. I've used them and they're "ok," I guess. Just another batt. And if you stacked that DieHard up against the hc1800 in a CA app, it might come out ahead. Maybe. And maybe just in a burp situation. As for longevity... I doubt you could beat the DieHard.

What it boils down to is, your vote is for the Kinetic and mine is for the DieHard. That's all. You're a very logical person and I usually agree with you. Just not this time. It happens. Lol.

TaylorFail
    Taylorfail, v.2
    tailorFail v.3
    TaylorFail v.4
    TaylorWin v.1?

Chriszle is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    373 Post(s)

Odyssey (diehard platinum) uses virgin lead in their batteries, kinetic uses recycled lead. Also, AH is basically useless when looking at effectiveness of a battery for audio usage. AH is a slow discharge rate over long period of time, car audio requires large discharge rate over very short spans.

19. Likes quackhead liked this post
    kushy_dreams is offline The resident hippie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1499 Post(s)

Power Ratings:

dude wtf are you smoking.....comparing kinetic to a rebadged odyssey? cmon now you should know better than that. not to mention kinetic uses recycled lead

the diehard is a much much better batt, it even comes with a 4 year free replacement warranty, what other batt comes with a warranty like that?

13 Dodge Dart Rallye 1.4T

http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/forum.php<

BOYCOTT SKAR AUDIO! SHADY BUSINESS PRACTICES SHOULD NEVER BE ENCOURAGED!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1188 Post(s)

There's a reason my Odysseys are prized. And there is a reason Kinetic has a bad rap. And not just by me. I've used them and they're "ok," I guess. Just another batt. And if you stacked that DieHard up against the hc1800 in a CA app, it might come out ahead. Maybe. And maybe just in a burp situation. As for longevity... I doubt you could beat the DieHard.

What it boils down to is, your vote is for the Kinetic and mine is for the DieHard. That's all. You're a very logical person and I usually agree with you. Just not this time. It happens. Lol.
    Yup..I agree about the warranty, no doubt. And also, like I said, my experience with Kinetik has been great considering my purchase was years ago...they might be made cheaper now...I do not know..I am just speaking from my personal experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Chriszle View Post
    Odyssey (diehard platinum) uses virgin lead in their batteries, kinetic uses recycled lead. Also, AH is basically useless when looking at effectiveness of a battery for audio usage. AH is a slow discharge rate over long period of time, car audio requires large discharge rate over very short spans.
    I agree with the Ah rating...reserve cap is a much more useful rating...but what is your point with the Virgin lead vs Recycled?...and where did you learn this info? link?

Quote Originally Posted by kushy_dreams View Post
    dude wtf are you smoking.....comparing kinetic to a rebadged odyssey? cmon now you should know better than that. not to mention kinetic uses recycled lead

the diehard is a much much better batt, it even comes with a 4 year free replacement warranty, what other batt comes with a warranty like that?
    obviously not the same shit u been smoking....it does have a good warranty though, if that is where you choose to place your priorities.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast