User Tag List

Closed Thread

Reload Thread: my amp keeps shorting out, please help!!!

69HomieGpepsi69 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Icon33 my amp keeps shorting out, please help!!!

ok heres the deal. i have a 600 W. Jenson LXA amp hooked up to two 18 inch 800W max subs. i have the amp set on the low pass filter and the bass boost is on and i bridged the connections (A+ B- for right, C+ D- for left). i dont know if this really matters but my head unit (sony Xtreem) is giving out 54X4. my amp keeps shorting out after around 30 seconds unless i keep the volume set way low . it may be because i twisted the left and right wires together (+to+, -to-) into one connector . i am thinking about just hooking up one side (left or right) and bridging it as A+ D-, i dont know what this will do but i will try anything at this point. my school is having a bump-off to see who has the best system. please respond ASAP if you have any suggestions or if you know anything about amps. thank you for your help.

Peace,
    69homiegpepsi69

(xxx||:::an-the-man:::::>

Charter16 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my amp did the same thing
    i dunno if its the same problem but as soon as i raised the volume a little past 1/8 of the way my amp would shut off
    turns out my amp was blown
    i dunno if thats the case with u ?

Abunai is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should wire one of your subs to the amp then the other sub to the first sub, connecting the seconds sub + to the first subs + and the second subs - to the first subs - then connect the first sub to the amp as normal.

You won't ever kill your amp if it has the proper size fuse (NEVER BYPASS FUSES) and that it's mounted so the heat can easily be displaced (not upsidedown or completely surrounded).

Abunai is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Umm, I just now looked at the amp you have (I was thinking it was a 1 channel - 2 ohm stable amp), since it's four channel what you need to do is just connect one sub to the +,+ of the first channel of the first pair of channels and the -,- to the second channel of the first pair of channels.

Then for the second sub +,+ to the first channel of the second pair of channels, and -,- to the second channel on the second pair of channels.

This will bridge your four channel amp to 2 channels and is the optimum setup for your hardware.

Closed Thread