Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Reload Thread: Alternator Voltage: Bad or Awesome?

BlurredVision is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Alternator Voltage: Bad or Awesome?

Quote Originally Posted by gckless View Post
    So you never seen any issues?
    My trunk is about .1~.2V less than my underhood meter, indicating either improperly set meters or a less than optimal ground. I'm not too concerned witht that right now though.
    I thought this was normal? Gotta add in all the resistance from various places

Current Vehicle: 2007 Ford Edge SEL

Head Unit: JVC KW-AV61BT

Time to rebuild. Gonna do it right this time

Planning a SQL setup

ummduh is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Running a 12v battery into the 15range is pretty hard on it. You're definitely shortening its life.

Car electronics are generally going to live up to 16v or so. It's of course not recommended but they are able to handle it. You'd need a 16v battery to do that, though.

I personally wouldn't run past 14.8v myself. Just cuz I don't have the money to play with the big boys like that. Haha.

ummduh is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BlurredVision View Post
    I thought this was normal? Gotta add in all the resistance from various places
    Yea its called voltage drop and 10% is usually the max drop allowed.

gckless is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ummduh View Post
    Running a 12v battery into the 15range is pretty hard on it. You're definitely shortening its life.

Car electronics are generally going to live up to 16v or so. It's of course not recommended but they are able to handle it. You'd need a 16v battery to do that, though.

I personally wouldn't run past 14.8v myself. Just cuz I don't have the money to play with the big boys like that. Haha.
    Yeah, really at 15V I'm not too worried about my car electronics, I'm fairly certain they will survive with no issues. However, my battery is where I'm concerned. I have a Yellow Top. I have read that for standard batteries, voltage that high may cause excessive gassing and the like. Since this is a sealed deep-cycle, will I see the same problems? I'm going to shoot an email to DC Power soon, see what they have to say. Probably should have done that already.

akheathen is offline trianoacitol contraceptiv akheathen is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

yellow top won't like it at all. i've seen them swell like a bag of crayola marshmallows off stock 160a delphi. check your connections. a slight connection problem at the plug, or fuse panel will tell the ecm to tell the alt. to charge more. used to have mine run up in the 15.x range. keeping it at 14.4 nominal, only spikes 14.9 with small load recovery, haven't thrown a huge load on it and then measured with the fluke yet. i was just checking on some off-gassing i thought i smelled.

*IF I have forgotten to exchange feedback, please let me know*
    i buy broken amps....
    No, i will not "gift" paypal. please do not even make it awkward by asking. if the fees are an issue, I am usually inclined to add them. unless you have discount elsewhere, shipping is through usps flat rate, through usps parcel post, or through the roof..... i am in alaska. thanks
    -Heath H-

mylows10 is offline Dc,tantric,singer,phd rep mylows10 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

mylows10 is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    482 Post(s)

its fine

pioneer avhx 5500 dvd, gzpa 1.4000 x 2
    ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

So this is what DC Power had to say in reply to my email:

"My suggestion would be to try a different battery, optima yellow tops tend to have some charging issues with higher output alternators. There could be a chemical imbalance in the battery since they're prone to that. If you have any questions let us know.

15 volts is fine but you don't want anything higher..."

Thoughts?

muskyhunter567 is offline Truck Do Burn Rubber

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i had 6 stinger spv70s in my car plus a red top under the hood and they were pretty cool charging up around 15-15.5v but once you got into that 16+ mark, they would start venting and hissing and stinking up the place, I would only charge the bank of batteries that high if i was at a show and wanted to get max volts right before a run, but I had the stingers in my car for over a year, and i still use three of them in my boat, they seem just fine to me, still hold a good charge and do what there are supposed to.

2003 subaru forester, totally stockish and super lame but working on it
    used to compete spl, trying this SQ thingy with the subaru, need sq gear.

ROE Muskyhunter5675
    God Is Love And Love Is Real

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by muskyhunter567 View Post
    i had 6 stinger spv70s in my car plus a red top under the hood and they were pretty cool charging up around 15-15.5v but once you got into that 16+ mark, they would start venting and hissing and stinking up the place, I would only charge the bank of batteries that high if i was at a show and wanted to get max volts right before a run, but I had the stingers in my car for over a year, and i still use three of them in my boat, they seem just fine to me, still hold a good charge and do what there are supposed to.
    That's good news. I've been watching my voltage, and it's been pretty consistent. When I first start it, when it's cold, it will run at 15.3V. Once it's warm, after driving for 10 minutes at least, it will drop down to 14.9V, and down to about 14.7 if it's warmer. I think I am just going to roll with this, and not worry too much about getting an external regulator, provided my amps will not have fits about voltage that high. I still haven't put my DC's on there, waiting on Level 3's to get in. I don't see that being a problem though.

TheUnderFighter is offline Beer Addict

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gckless View Post
    That's good news. I've been watching my voltage, and it's been pretty consistent. When I first start it, when it's cold, it will run at 15.3V. Once it's warm, after driving for 10 minutes at least, it will drop down to 14.9V, and down to about 14.7 if it's warmer. I think I am just going to roll with this, and not worry too much about getting an external regulator, provided my amps will not have fits about voltage that high. I still haven't put my DC's on there, waiting on Level 3's to get in. I don't see that being a problem though.
    I think you're definitely fine, once it warms up. YellowTops aren't really the ideal car audio battery anyways. Just keep it going, if the battery goes bad, replace it with a more ideal battery. Otherwise just keep doing your thing. I don't think the amps will have any issues with that voltage either.

2009 Hyundai Elantra - Budget Sound in Progress
    HU- Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X994
    Fronts- Crescendo MP6 mids, Vifa Ring Radiator tweets on Arc KS300.4
    Subs- Single SA-10 on Mmats 2000.1 @ 1ohm
    Misc- 1/0 CCA from AT, Big 3 in Stinger HPM, and AT 60 mil deadener
    Bought from: Inferno333, select127, treesive, Kangaroux, DonH
    Sold to: coolest user, Psychodrama, MidgetClown, mr.tigger, av83

muskyhunter567 is offline Truck Do Burn Rubber

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

yea, you will be ok, those voltages are fine, I ran incriminators in my car so i never had to worry about to high a voltage or two low, they just worked all the time no matter what, I love those amps, but I did just get a kicker 75x4 and it shuts off around the high 15s and it gets really annoyying just listening to my bass and no vocals

2003 subaru forester, totally stockish and super lame but working on it
    used to compete spl, trying this SQ thingy with the subaru, need sq gear.

ROE Muskyhunter5675
    God Is Love And Love Is Real

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Well, I just ordered a 80PRS, and noticed the manual says that the voltage limit is 15.1V. Has anyone seen issues with theirs?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2