Closed Thread

Reload Thread: SQ improvement equipment

PrinceCharming is offline PrinceCharming

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

SQ improvement equipment

I need suggestions as to some equipment that I can get to improve the sound of my system. I have 2 Memphis Power Reference subs in a sealed ProBox, and I'm getting a JBL C608GTI MKII comp set powered by some kind of 2-channel amp, and 4 tweeters powered by a PPI 900.4. I'm running everything but the subs passive. Just need help finding some equipment to make it all sound better.

keep_hope_alive is online now Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)

Re: SQ improvement equipment

sounding great is not as much equipment as it's install and placement. consider spending 4-8 hours per speaker for install effort (and the resulting cost of materials to properly treat each speaker enclosure).

recognize you are designing speaker enclosures for SQ. you aren't just screwing a new speaker in. you are controlling the back-wave and preventing it from combining with the front with deadener, fiberglass/resin, wood, etc.

you only need 2 tweeters for SQ - one left and one right - each located where you want the soundstage boundaries to be.

have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

My 2014 Accord build log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?6722-KHA-2014-Accord-Sport-SQ-Factory-Integration
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html
    *1998 Astro Van Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/567468-kha-does-spl-build-1996-astro-van.html

winkychevelle is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive View Post
    sounding great is not as much equipment as it's install and placement. consider spending 4-8 hours per speaker for install effort (and the resulting cost of materials to properly treat each speaker enclosure).

recognize you are designing speaker enclosures for SQ. you aren't just screwing a new speaker in. you are controlling the back-wave and preventing it from combining with the front with deadener, fiberglass/resin, wood, etc.

you only need 2 tweeters for SQ - one left and one right - each located where you want the soundstage boundaries to be.
    again i think you lost him, lol, newbs dont know any better but they need to use the search function

if they would look at your install just briefly they would change from sq install to just loud install by just seeing the amount of work you have into your system or that tc system

2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel
    Big sq install on the horizon if money stays good
    2012 Nissan Versa Hatch
    Deadened but stock, girls ride now

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Actually I already have that planned out. I'm getting some serious sound deadening material or else I'm gonna rattle my door panel of with these, I'm gonna either buy or make a baffle and I've got to get a speaker adapter plate or make one because this is going into a 4x6 hole, or else I will have to do some customization on my door frame. And I should have specified a little better, I'm looking for that really loud blow your ears away surround feel but I want the sound quality coming out of all my drivers, speakers, tweeters, and subs to be as good as possible. I don't mind all the work and I may be a newb but I think I've got it planned out a little better than most. Just asking for some advice thanks

maylar is offline Electrical Weenie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Concentrate on your front speaker install, that's where the biggest improvements can be made. 6.5" components correctly mounted, sealed and deadened with a good amp can give you most of what you're looking for.

dave
    ----------
    1999 Buick Park Ave Ultra
    Head Unit: JVC KWHDR720
    EQ: Audiocontrol EQL
    Front Stage: Hybrid Audio Technologies Imagine 5.25 mids, Morel Maximo tweets
    Sub Stage: Boston G3 10", 0.5 cu ft sealed
    Amp: PPI Phantom 900.4
    Rear Fill: Boston SE953 6X9's

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah that what I plan to do I was asking about any kind of sound enhancing or smoothing equipment that I can use to improve the sound quality. Like something to rid of distortion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceCharming View Post
    Yeah that what I plan to do I was asking about any kind of sound enhancing or smoothing equipment that I can use to improve the sound quality. Like something to rid of distortion.
    Sound deadening material and possibly a eq/line driver for minor adjustments and full amplifier potential. When tuned and gain matched, there should be no added distortion.

"Bailout: Taking a trillion dollars from the people and giving it to the banks so the banks can loan it back to the people, at interest!"

Flex68 is offline dilligaf

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

I'm getting some serious sound deadening material
    Consisting of...?

Proper damping/deadening is arguably the single biggest factor in an SQ install

Quote Originally Posted by Spider Monkey View Post
    Romney will [fornicate] me less than Obama already has and WAY less than what Obama has planned.
    Refs: adamtwo4, basscort2009, burzendowski, clanassa, cthedinger, ikoolguy, its_bacon12, Jew_Bagel, jr711, kreapin, kowboy, Rudy, TheRealDefman, Winter_C

HU:Eclipse CD7200 MkII
    Subs: Fack Skar Audio
    Front comps: HAT Clarus C61-2 off Sony ES 7547
    Electrical: C&D batt, Big 3 with 1/0, 4ga to amps, Stinger RCA’s
    Damping: 60mil FG panels over holes, full worx from SDS

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm not sure what kind yet but I was thinking dynamat or something. Whatever you guys recommend.

keep_hope_alive is online now Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)

Best sound enhancing and smoothing equipment is your hands and the work they do to isolate the rear wave and control reflections with speaker aiming. *An EQ is attempting to fix install problems and phase interference. *Some tonal shaping is nice, but flexible active crossovers and time alignment is more important than an EQ. *There are several active processors available, what one is best depends on how you want it to integrate with the head unit.

Distortion is inherent in amplifiers and speakers, after any processors. *Best way to minimize distortion is to properly set amp gains and know the limits of the system.

My 2014 Accord build log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?6722-KHA-2014-Accord-Sport-SQ-Factory-Integration
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html
    *1998 Astro Van Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/567468-kha-does-spl-build-1996-astro-van.html

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ok how do I find the right processor? I have no clue where to start

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)

Processors cost money, hundreds of dollars. That money is better spent on deadening and install. I like to use Raammaudio BXT II deadener and US Composites resin.

What head unit are you working with? The vehicle makes a difference also, what space do you have up front?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have Pioneer DXT-763BT, its a 2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE. I'm not sure what you mean by space up front.

Closed Thread