Reload Thread: big 3 installation help!

AxT4430 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

big 3 installation help!

Hey All ( anyone who reads this..)

I have a 2002 (7th gen?) honda civic sedan

yellow top optima under the hood with tausami/ jl 4 guage running to a distro in my trunk, and distributing to JBL gto 1004 (4ohmx 2 speakers) and my sub amp autotek 1500.1 (spare, until i can send for my audioque to get fixed)

Now, I upgraded my ground on off of my batt with 4 guage jl wiring i had around, but one question is that I only grounded it to my engine and not to my chasis which originally it was grounded to both.. should I replace so both spots are used as grounds?

2nd issue is that Im kinda lost on how to wire from my alt to battery, and im having a hard time locating the specific wire I need to upgrade

Thanks!

Ill post pics of anything just request it!

mylows10 is offline Dc,tantric,singer,phd rep mylows10 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

mylows10 is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    482 Post(s)

Re: big 3 installation help!

the alt wire should be the largest wire coming from the alt , and yes add dont replace all the ground wires to the body and block

pioneer avhx 5500 dvd, gzpa 1.4000 x 2
    ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mylows10 View Post
    the alt wire should be the largest wire coming from the alt , and yes add dont replace all the ground wires to the body and block
    can you repeat that last part haha.. are you saying replace my oem ground wire and just add another ground wire? I found a diy for removing the alternator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You should have a wire for both man. Use some 4ga to ground to chassis and the engine.

pbnj22 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AxT4430 View Post
    can you repeat that last part haha.. are you saying replace my oem ground wire and just add another ground wire? I found a diy for removing the alternator
    dont take the existing wire off... just make another run so to speak.. so you will have the oem ground which would be like 10 gauge or whatever they use plus your own ground of 4 gauge.. if one ground is good, 2 is better :P

ref: bought from TurdFergueson2, scottiej, mgbcs, Groundpound4200, fasfocus00, loudcartunez,

sold to: tipnitty

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showth...90#post6532990 feedback thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

from the alt you should just be able to follow the wire that goes to your battery positive... Then just make another run that either follows that wire, or create your own path if that is easier. Just make sure it connects to your alt in the same spot as the oem cable and make sure it doesnt "ground out" at the case of the alt.. on my camry i had to break a rubber boot and tab to get the bolt to put the wire on. I only had to break it to get the big ring terminal to fit in there nice. you shouldnt have that problem

ref: bought from TurdFergueson2, scottiej, mgbcs, Groundpound4200, fasfocus00, loudcartunez,

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Lol, il replace it then.. Umm can I use the same grounding spot for my 4 gauge or should I make another? Also, I found my main power wire from alt and took it off, now I need more 4 gauge because my foot long piece would have to rest right above my intake manifold or rest on the metal frame above the radiator ( convection, ahhhh hot!!) but should I just add to what's already existing there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i would just add.. you can replace if you would rather but the more wire to flow power is better and your kinda shootin yourself in the foot by taking out the oem wire.. also i should add that this wire of the big 3 SHOULD be fused... on my car its not but it should be lol.. and Im not sure what your asking for the same grounding spot on your gauge.. you mean from bat neg to chassis? or bat neg to block? and as far as resting on your intake manifold... mine was the same so i put a small L bracket elbow i had laying around and put that on the bolt of the intake and then rested the wire on that so it was away from the engine...

mylows10 is offline Dc,tantric,singer,phd rep mylows10 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

mylows10 is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    482 Post(s)

Dont replace. Just add more

pioneer avhx 5500 dvd, gzpa 1.4000 x 2
    ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Thanks guys, ill add

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

also adding a fuse (if you do so) would add a few inches of length so it might clear you of your intake manifold.. just a thought without seeing your engine bay..

goingdef is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Lol, il replace it then.. Umm can I use the same grounding spot for my 4 gauge or should I make another? Also, I found my main power wire from alt and took it off, now I need more 4 gauge because my foot long piece would have to rest right above my intake manifold or rest on the metal frame above the radiator ( convection, ahhhh hot!!) but should I just add to what's already existing there.
    There are no issue's running around the radiator my fuse block is mounted to my shroud and is perfectly fine and another member here has his mounted up on the engine cover plate along the intake manifold side and it does fine there, the only area to really stay away from is exhaust manifolds.

electrical: Optima yellow top X 2 big 3 in monster OFC 1/0g high output alt by maniac electrics
    HU: JVC AVX-77 touch screen
    Front stage: RE XXX 6.5" comps
    front stage amp: Rockford T600.2
    subs: 1 Sundown ZV4 12"
    sub amp: Rockford T2500.1BDCP
    Enclosure: ported (by JayDubb757 )

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

here's my electrical setup. 0ga running to the engine block under the air filter, one run to the chassis to the right of the batt, and one run from + to the alternator.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Thanks guys, ill add
    Ground to the frame / chassis and remember your engine / drivetrain is isolated from the chassis of the car by rubber mounts..no good ground there

"Bailout: Taking a trillion dollars from the people and giving it to the banks so the banks can loan it back to the people, at interest!"

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UsafBordeaux View Post

here's my electrical setup. 0ga running to the engine block under the air filter, one run to the chassis to the right of the batt, and one run from + to the alternator.
    I use that same terminal clamp, i never thought to use the screws instead the designated place to place wire..

---------- Post added at 04:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by quackhead View Post
    Ground to the frame / chassis and remember your engine / drivetrain is isolated from the chassis of the car by rubber mounts..no good ground there
    thats a very good point! ill do that today! thanks

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast