Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

trouble with harness hook up

I'm trying to install a new stereo in place of the factory unit in my 1996 Lincoln Mark VIII. My system has the premium JBL set up with a power amp in the trunk and 4 woofers and 4 tweeters..all factory- everything works except the cd player in the old system.
    My new stereo is a JVC KD-HDR61
    I got a Metra 70-5603 harness to go in between the new receiver harness and the existing harness(-es) under the dash..there are 2: a 16 pin and an 8 blade connector
    The 70-5603 has 4 RCA male plugs that I put into the back of the new receiver. the 8 wires for the 4 speakers in the new stereo harness are not used.
    Right now the only way i get any sound from the stereo is if the RCA's are pulled about halfway out..and that audio is distorted terribly; if the RCA's are pushed all the way in, like they're supposed to be I get no sound...
    ...on the Metra 16 pin connector, which has the 4 RCA's, there's a ground wire which I have connected to one of the two ground wires in the 8 blade connector
    What gives?
    Last edited by dnsherrill; 08-16-2012 at 11:33 PM.

keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1157 Post(s)

Re: trouble with harness hook up

Could be the factory amp wants to see a balanced signal... But the harness designer should have known that.

We'll have to verify with the manual for the harness...

have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

My 2014 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/608637-2014-accord-sport-sq-build-keep_hope_alive.html
    ***My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkYUo2EShW9lgtrfXiDvLNQ/videos
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html

dnsherrill is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

fwiw- I was told to the refer to Metra connectors as the green one (for the speakers, with the 4 RCA male ends) and the gray one (for the power supply to the new receiver...
    -I've gotten my install advice from a guy at Installer.com ...he seemed to think that my amp in the trunk was not receiving power from the car, via the new receiver, but I have the bl/wh wires connected between the radio harness and the gray connector..
    -the new stereo harness has 4 pairs of wires for speakers (gr, prp for rear and wh, gry for front) which are not being used... it seems like if I make a connection between the radio harness speaker wire (wh + and wh - for ex.), with the RCA male end from the wh connector, that speaker will work correctly..
    - I just exchanged the head for a new one, hoping I had a defective item, no such luck
    -why is it recommended/required that I use the RCA outputs on the back of the new receiver/radio instead of the wires with the new harness? b/c I have a additional amp?
    Last edited by dnsherrill; 08-18-2012 at 05:45 PM.

dnsherrill is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Solution: the regular harness (70-5600) worked..the RCA's in the back of the receiver were not sending enough power to the power amp; when using the speaker wires coming from the new radio plastic connector it works like normal..simple solution

Closed Thread