Closed Thread

Reload Thread: How much of fuse rating is drawn, + is it safe to assume Im drawing this much current

RSDXzec is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    170 Post(s)

How much of fuse rating is drawn, + is it safe to assume Im drawing this much current

Currently running a class AB amp at 400wrms at 2 ohms. It has 60Amps worth of fuses on it as well as a 60Amp fuse on the wire. How much current would it really use? (constant 0db 50hz tone)

The class D amp I'll be using soon (APSM-1500) puts out 1500wrms and although it doesn't have fusing on it, it comes with a 100 amp fuse for the wire. I plan on drawing 1000wrms tops from it and as that is 2 thirds of what it's rated for, could I assume I wouldn't draw more than 66.66Amps?

I'm assuming there's a linear relationship here between power and current draw.

Cheers.

murph is offline Low for Life

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1438 Post(s)

Re: How much of fuse rating is drawn, + is it safe to assume Im drawing this much cur

Quote Originally Posted by RSDXzec View Post
    Currently running a class AB amp at 400wrms at 2 ohms. It has 60Amps worth of fuses on it as well as a 60Amp fuse on the wire. How much current would it really use? (constant 0db 50hz tone)

The class D amp I'll be using soon (APSM-1500) puts out 1500wrms and although it doesn't have fusing on it, it comes with a 100 amp fuse for the wire. I plan on drawing 1000wrms tops from it and as that is 2 thirds of what it's rated for, could I assume I wouldn't draw more than 66.66Amps?

I'm assuming there's a linear relationship here between power and current draw.

Cheers.
    First amp depends... If it runs on 1 ohm it most likely would or if the amp is underrated than it would also use nearly every amp of fusing. Some cheaper amps are overfused to make them look more stout. If you are running 1k on the APSM I would fuse for 100A.

Hu: kenwood kdc-x995
    Sub: Boston acoustics G5 12 in a quasi 6th order
    Amp: Phoenix gold zx600.2 ti
    Front Speakers: Eclipse sc6500
    HIT UP FOR BASS ---> http://www.youtube.com/user/BassWithMurph?feature=mhee

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    170 Post(s)

Re: How much of fuse rating is drawn, + is it safe to assume Im drawing this much cur

Quote Originally Posted by murph View Post
    First amp depends... If it runs on 1 ohm it most likely would or if the amp is underrated than it would also use nearly every amp of fusing. Some cheaper amps are overfused to make them look more stout. If you are running 1k on the APSM I would fuse for 100A.
    The first amp is only stable down to 2 ohms and as far as I know this can't put out much more than 400wrms, it's a cheapo brand so I wouldn't expect much. How close to 60Amps would you say it could get?

If the apsm recommends 100amp fusing for 1500watts shouldn't it use fairly less at 1000watts? (I will be using the 100Amp fuse provided by them either way).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1438 Post(s)

The first amp is only stable down to 2 ohms and as far as I know this can't put out much more than 400wrms, it's a cheapo brand so I wouldn't expect much. How close to 60Amps would you say it could get?

If the apsm recommends 100amp fusing for 1500watts shouldn't it use fairly less at 1000watts? (I will be using the 100Amp fuse provided by them either way).
    Maybe 50A but most likely 40A but the amp is probably horribly inefficient. You don't have to fuse according to how many amps your amp puts through the wire you can fuse to the max amperage your wire can handle for example 125A to 4 gauge wire.

Bettr n' Revrse is offline I do what I want

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2341 Post(s)

Yep always fuse for the wire

Western Rep.

99 Honda CRV: (Always Changing) ___________ 79 F-150: Show Truck ________________
    -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100________________ -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100
    -Sub Stage: Sundown SD-2 8's sealed________ -Sub Stage: Looking
    -Mids/Highs: Deciding_____________________ -Mids/Highs: Scan Speak & Blaupunkt
    -Sub Amp: MMATS Hifi 6 channel____________ -Sub Amp: American Warrior Set (Zed Built)
    -Mid Amp: ^^^ 5/6 bridged at 1 ohm_________ -Mid Amp: ^^^

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    170 Post(s)

Maybe 50A but most likely 40A but the amp is probably horribly inefficient. You don't have to fuse according to how many amps you amp puts through the wire you can fuse to the max amperage your wire can handle for example 125A to 4 gauge wire.
    I would take a guess 50Amps sounds right, I get decent vdrop at idle speed on my 85A alt.

I know wire fusing is based on what the wire can take but if the Audiopipe amp is rated at 1500watts why would they supply a 100A fuse with it? One would assume it could put out that much without going over 100A if that's what's supplied with it (considering people have clamped it to put out rated).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1438 Post(s)

I would take a guess 50Amps sounds right, I get decent vdrop at idle speed on my 85A alt.

I know wire fusing is based on what the wire can take but if the Audiopipe amp is rated at 1500watts why would they supply a 100A fuse with it? One would assume it could put out that much without going over 100A if that's what's supplied with it (considering people have clamped it to put out rated).
    Mmats 3k has 100amp fusing and puts out 3k... Fuse rating doesn't always mean it puts out near fusing. Most quality amps are fused far below their max wattage output. (at rms)

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    170 Post(s)

Mmats 3k has 100amp fusing and puts out 3k... Fuse rating doesn't always mean it puts out near fusing. Most quality amps are fused far below their max wattage output.
    hmm... that's a bit inconvenient. I had no idea.

Cheers, I'll have to look into it a bit more.

edit: checking reviews online and people are powering 1500wrms with the 100Amp fuse.

http://www.vminnovations.com/Product...mplifier-.html

these reviews are to be taken with a grain of salt though...

smoka is offline Drink beer save water

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

You fuse for the wire size only at the battery. This protects the wire from catching fire.

You fuse at the individual amps to protect them from overloading.

Don't listen to these morons here who have no idea what they are talking about.

In general, amps are designed with a fuse that is 125% over their max output. So if your amp has a 100a fuse the most you should expect out of that amp (at 12v in perfect conditions) is 960W.

Electrical engineers and Electricians use the standard "125% over max load" rule when sizing circuit breakers or fuses. Feel free to look that up.

smoka is offline Drink beer save water

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

Mmats 3k has 100amp fusing and puts out 3k... Fuse rating doesn't always mean it puts out near fusing. Most quality amps are fused far below their max wattage output. (at rms)
    You must go through alot of burned fuses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1188 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by smoka View Post
    it generates the extra power..you know, it is Mmmmaaattss

"Bailout: Taking a trillion dollars from the people and giving it to the banks so the banks can loan it back to the people, at interest!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1438 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by smoka View Post
    Never burned one fuse. My 1/0 is fused at 250a and when it splits to 4 gauge it is fused to 80a ATM.

Closed Thread