Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Do I need a new alternator and a battery or something like a stinger?

migsif is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Do I need a new alternator and a battery or something like a stinger?

I got a 1000 watt amp and a crossover for the 2 12inch audiobauhn woofers and a small kicker amp for the tweeters..I have a stock alternator and a economy battery(I think its a cheap one

pavengmike6 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Do I need a new alternator and a battery or something like a stinger?

It all depends on the type of car you have (amp alt) and the power draw of the amp. The best way to tell is to hook it all up and see if your lights dim. I would turn all your electrice stuff on (a/c, head lights, and turn the radio up pretty loud). You can take your car to a Alternator shop and they can test the draw on your elec system with all these items on. Most 1970-1989 cars had a bigger Alt that came stock (not all) most of the newer cars get only what is needed + a few amps. (its a way to save them money). To insure that you will need to replace the Alt, take the time and spend the money to use good power and ground wires. Do not skimp and insure the ground is to the frame of the car. Try to make the ground bigger than the power wire. I would use nothing less than a 4 ga for your power with what you have. A 4 ga ground will work too.

migsif is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Do I need a new alternator and a battery or something like a stinger?

I have a 1995 mustang 5.0......all the grounds are hook up to the top of frame of the trunk/back seat....and before when it was working the amp would go into overcurrent...

Closed Thread