Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Reload Thread: Attempting to install a sound system for the 1st time!!!

sciontc2 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Attempting to install a sound system for the 1st time!!!

Ok so I want to install a decent sound system for my scion tc, but not spend a lot of money,

this is what I have now: a scion tc 2011 with the stock system, and this is the equipment i plan on buying. please give me all your input, have never done this before ever I m only 17

Subwoofers: a pair of these they are only $50, any reviews
    Kenwood - Performance Series 12" Single-Voice-Coil 4-Ohm Subwoofer find on best buy website please

amp: i am still thinking about this one it seems a little bit expensive and maybe i dont need all the power, I nee your input

Kenwood - 1000W Class D Mono Amplifier with Low-Pass Crossover please look it up on best buy website

a wiring kit

Boss 4-Gauge Amplifier Installation Kit 30 dollars from walmart

according to me that is all I need.

My questions to you guys:

Do I need a capacitor?

a new battery?

will my lights dim if i dont do this?

alaso is this sound system good enough????????

any suggestion on other products?

thanks i will truly appreciate any help or tips i plan on buying this ang get to work next weekend maybe,

DDtC is offline Go cheap you get cheap

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Re: Attempting to install a sound system for the 1st time!!!

How much do you want to spend and are you capable of building a box if someone gives you a cut sheet? If you want a ported box your going to have to use 10s or a single 12.

• 2010 Scion tC
    • Alpine CDA-117
    • JL 450/4v2 Active (Mid range, tweeters) JL 300/2v2 (Mid bass) DC 5K(Subs)
    • Hertz HV 165XL
    • Hertz HT28
    • JL ZR800
    • 2 x DD 9512i
    • Singer 300 amp 15.1v bypass, 3 XS D3400s
    • DD M4a and XS D3100 coming soon
    • Viper 5701 with Smart Start

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think I will be using an already made sealed box. i found one at pep boys for 60 bucks, I dont want a SUPER loud system just averagee..

that is why im think that amplifier is too much power for the pair of speakers

I want to spend $300 maybe $350

keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)

Do I need a capacitor? NO

a new battery? YES

will my lights dim if i dont do this? WILL DIM REGARDLESS

alaso is this sound system good enough???????? SUBJECTIVE - IT'S WHAT YOU CAN AFFORD

any suggestion on other products? A BETTER AMP KIT (STINGER/STREETWIRES/KNU)

have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

*My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html]
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html
    *1998 Astro Van Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/567468-kha-does-spl-build-1996-astro-van.html

logiball is offline Premium Member logiball is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would definitely upgrade the head unit first. That will atleast give you more juice to the factory doors and more control over your sub. Good luck though.

But honey, you don't understand, I need to buy this......

DukeNut is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Buy 1 of these subs (4) Like New Sundown Audio SA-10 D4 Subwoofers
    $130
    Buy this amp MB Quart ONX1.1000D - ONYX Class D Monoblock Car Amplifier/Amp
    $150
    -----
    $280 total. You will be impressed and very happy:-) also gives $$ leftover for amp kit, line out converter (look for these on sonic) and box. Look for a better made box than pepboys, it will be well worth it.

Refs:
    jshak07, photocrazy8, DARKHART, dadon, enzowho

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I will look into that set up.. I have one more question for you guys

my stereo manual says:

The output of an internal amplifier will no stop even when an external amplifier is connected the RCA out-put. When cutting off the internal amplifier output cable, protect the cut surface to prevent short circuit.

Subwoofer output of this unit in monaural.

wth does this mean.
    also i found out that my stereo does not have a remote terminal... how do i get this?/

CrossoverOre is online now CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If your scion is the pioneer head, at least the nicer head it will have rca outputs. If there are rca outputs then there should be a remote out. Its going to be in the larger of the two harness going to the back of the deck. Check with dmm to verify. Monaural simply means mono output, as opposed to stereo. DONT DO THE BOSS AMP KIT! It says 4 ga but more like 8-10 ga.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

yes sir it does hacve rca outputs, as for the remote wire do you have any idea what color it might be?

my co worker ( im an electrician) told me that in order to find it I have to check with a dmm, find the wire that has 12v running and turns off when the engine turns off. is this true. he told me there is a constant hot 12v wire which I should not use.

as for the gauge i am planning to get the 8 gauge wiring kit, is this one true to size?

also is it big enoughe to run this amplifier : Kenwood Kac-8105D 1000-Watt Class D Mono Amplifier

along with two kenwood 12" subwoofers rated 250 rms each?

audiobaun is offline Premium Member audiobaun is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

The remote wiring should be blue/white

TheUnderFighter is offline Beer Addict

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

All of that equipment sounds awful.
    No, you'll never ever need a capacitor. And anyone that tells you that you do need one, has no idea wtf they are talking about.
    I'm happy to see you're going by RMS ratings at least. I wouldn't go anywhere near the Kenwood subs or amps though.
    If you're just looking to buy a cheap subwoofer box online or from a store, you'll have to buy a sealed box. And in that instance, I'd get either one 12" or 15" of these subs: Sub Woofers - Sundown Audio - E Series - SSA STORE
    OR, if you want to get the most output of your sub and decided to get a ported box, I'd recommend the 10" woofer. Keep in mind that if you do get a ported box, you'll have to have one custom made, which is a service many members and vendors on here can fulfill, some even local to you. With a ported box, it must be custom made; why, you ask? Because ported boxes require a more intricate design that should be based around the woofer being used, the vehicle it's being used in, and the user's listening tastes. Any store-bought ported (or vented) box is not designed with any of these in mind, and is tuned too high, and sounds like total crap, and does not provide enough internal volume for a woofer to perform optimally.
    If you do go with any of those subs, get the Dual 2 ohm option if you buy 1 sub (which will be plenty of output). Or if you want to splurge and get 2 subs, you'll need to get the Dual 4 ohm option. That will be the case with ANY woofer you buy. Regardless of which woofer you buy in the future, if you only buy one of them, it needs to be Dual 2 ohm. If you buy a pair of them, they need to be Dual 4 ohm. (This is assuming the amplifier you purchase, makes it's most power at 1ohm. Some of them make their ideal power at 2 ohm, in which case you'd switch the above-stated rules of thumb)

As for an amplifier to pair with one of those subwoofers, are you open to buying used, or must you waste more money buying new?

As for amp kits... Don't even think Boss again. As for ANYTHING car audio, don't ever think Boss again.
    For an amp kit, something like this would be best for your current situation: http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDe...?prodID=KCA-K4
    Or this one: http://www.audiotechnix.com/componen...etail?Itemid=0
    The 2nd one is available through the vendor on here, and he is a really good guy. Both kits will do exactly what you need for this power stage.

2009 Hyundai Elantra - Budget Sound in Progress
    HU- Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X994
    Fronts- Crescendo MP6 mids, Vifa Ring Radiator tweets on Arc KS300.4
    Subs- Single SA-10 on Mmats 2000.1 @ 1ohm
    Misc- 1/0 CCA from AT, Big 3 in Stinger HPM, and AT 60 mil deadener
    Bought from: Inferno333, select127, treesive, Kangaroux, DonH
    Sold to: coolest user, Psychodrama, MidgetClown, mr.tigger, av83

12. Likes logiball liked this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

well the other day me and my friends installed the following on his car and i like the way it sounds ( It may sound like **** to you guys I already know because I am yet to be educated on what a good system sounds like) but anyway this was the set up.

schoche 6 gauge wiring kit with capacitor

2 kenwood speakers for 49.99 each 250 rms each
    fierce audio ported box 89.99
    Kenwood Kac-8105D 1000-Watt Class D Mono Amplifier $200 Handles up to 500W RMS power (500W x 1) @ 2 ohms or 300W (300W x 1) @ 4 ohms

what do you guys think of this. i am looking for something locally im not used to buying expensive things like that, if i blow it up goes right back to best buy lol.

BTW: the speaker are not bad, theyre on sale because they are past model. as far as i know which aint much
    i plan on doing the same thing except run 8 GAUGE WIRE, is this ok?

TheUnderFighter is offline Beer Addict

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sciontc2 View Post
    well the other day me and my friends installed the following on his car and i like the way it sounds ( It may sound like **** to you guys I already know because I am yet to be educated on what a good system sounds like) but anyway this was the set up.

schoche 6 gauge wiring kit with capacitor

2 kenwood speakers for 49.99 each 250 rms each
    fierce audio ported box 89.99
    Kenwood Kac-8105D 1000-Watt Class D Mono Amplifier $200 Handles up to 500W RMS power (500W x 1) @ 2 ohms or 300W (300W x 1) @ 4 ohms

what do you guys think of this. i am looking for something locally im not used to buying expensive things like that, if i blow it up goes right back to best buy lol.

BTW: the speaker are not bad, theyre on sale because they are past model. as far as i know which aint much
    i plan on doing the same thing except run 8 GAUGE WIRE, is this ok?
    Nope... As we said, no capacitor. You can let your buddy know he wasted money on his capacitor too. Don't run scoche or boss anything. I linked you to the two amp kits that would be best for you.
    If you insist on buying something from best buy, go with an Alpine Type R. It's really the only sub they have worth any money.
    And as for the box, I already told you. Either buy sealed, or get a custom ported box built. The Fierce audio one is not meant for those subs or him or his car or built well.
    Again, for a Best Buy amp, I'll see what I can find. Keep in mind, Best Buy is one of the worst stores you could ever go to for car audio. Oh, and they have terrible prices.... But if you insist upon getting a crappy amp for an expensive price from Best Buy, this is the one I'd get: Kicker - DX Series 500W Class D Digital Mono MOSFET Amplifier with Low-Pass Crossover - DX5001
    or this one http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Alpine+-...&skuId=8699358

2009 Hyundai Elantra - Budget Sound in Progress
    HU- Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X994
    Fronts- Crescendo MP6 mids, Vifa Ring Radiator tweets on Arc KS300.4
    Subs- Single SA-10 on Mmats 2000.1 @ 1ohm
    Misc- 1/0 CCA from AT, Big 3 in Stinger HPM, and AT 60 mil deadener
    Bought from: Inferno333, select127, treesive, Kangaroux, DonH
    Sold to: coolest user, Psychodrama, MidgetClown, mr.tigger, av83

shpatb is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

It's like the OP is just asking for our oppinions to change until we tell him " YEAH go to best buy and buy a 18 gauge wiring kit and 4 pyle 5000 watt amps "

2008 G8 LC6i Kenwood 6.5's upfront, Morels in the rear. Alpine PDX-F4, 2x BA-SPG555 sealed with JBL 14001
    2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GT2
    Head unit - eclipse CD5000
    Front Components - Boston Z6's Rear "fill"- Boston SR95
    Front&Rear Amp - Boston GT24
    Sub -2x Boston SPG-555 @ 34hz
    Sub amp -BA GT28
    ect - 12 farad stinger cap,0 gauge stinger wiring, stinger 1500 battery, 200a alt
    refs: keifersracing

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

how about the size gauge wire , will 8 be ok for this ?.

he just got the capacitor because it came with 6 gauge wiring kit, thahts why i wan the 8 gauge because it doesnt come with capacitor but its smaller wire

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast