Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Electrical gurus enter.

CAT MAN is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

Electrical gurus enter.

i need to know if i would gain anything by grounding my front/rear batts together. one batt is grounded to the framee (the odessy) the optima is grounded to the shock tower and engine/stock locations per big 3. im goin gto school for electrical engineering but i cannot find what i would gain and needed some knowledge from you guys. thanks

SourDeez is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

Re: Electrical gurus enter.

It kan't hurt. Notice how I spelled can't with a K.

Grounding to your struts = bad

When you go over bumps the friction creates a small electrical charge on the metal boot thus your car will explode soon

Headunit - Stock cassette player - Pioneer P9400
    Front Stage - Pyle 8 inch subs (1000 watt peak!!) - Polk DB6.5 (about to be CDT 6.5s)
    Rear stage - Deleted (stolen) - Deleted
    Sub stage - custom built 15 inch sony xplod (5k watt peak!!!) (huge box) - Two SA12's built by Corey
    Sub amp - Pyle 8000w peak!! (spl edition) - AQ2200
    Electircal - 35 amp alt from ford festiva upgrade, stolen battery, 28 gauge solder coil for my cable - Dual D34 Yellows, 1/0 trystar OFC, 135amp alt

Falcons is offline that **** i dont like

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

I'm going to school for the same thing!

Things to look forward to:
    (2) 10" or 12" imperium audio designs subs
    set of PHD MF 6.5" comps
    Completely seal off and deaden my doors
    aquire a 2k amp
    aquire a 2 channel amp for front stage

4. Likes CAT MAN liked this post
    Kangaroux is offline I put on

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

By grounding together do you mean running a dedicated ground wire to each batt?

snoopdan is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

You want to reduce the amount of welded points from battery to battery if you're frame grounding. A shock tower is a piss poor spot to ground even a 500 watt setup. And personally, i'm not one to say you're in the wrong as currently I have a 1.5 volt drop from the front battery to the back battery bank on my own setup that is totally frame grounded. Which I intend on fixing this weekend with 1/0 runs from the ground and the positive comming from the bat/alt.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by snoopdan View Post
    You want to reduce the amount of welded points from battery to battery if you're frame grounding. A shock tower is a piss poor spot to ground even a 500 watt setup. And personally, i'm not one to say you're in the wrong as currently I have a 1.5 volt drop from the front battery to the back battery bank on my own setup that is totally frame grounded. Which I intend on fixing this weekend with 1/0 runs from the ground and the positive comming from the bat/alt.
    so it will fix one batt dropping lower than the other? i can sort of see that. im buying some 1/0 now. unfortuneatly i will have to tear my foam out to run it but it will be worth it. snoop. <3 u

skylineTT is offline bass=sekz

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Just saying, but majoring in EE will not teach you how to wire a car better. I'm an ME and know more about circuitry/electronics than any EE I've met here.

Refs: Dipitydoo, appollyon, bad95gt, revrider1, jwh1598, ampjunkielikeme, deathpenalty18, ssackett, snoopysnooper, corey0928, SPLAudio, Clifff150, CL1CKCLACK, ShawnT, West + more

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by skylineTT View Post
    Just saying, but majoring in EE will not teach you how to wire a car better. I'm an ME and know more about circuitry/electronics than any EE I've met here.
    not saying it will but i do understand alot more thn i used to with electricity in general.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yeah, you will learn a lot about circuitry, electrodynamics, and other stuff, but there is hardly ever a class, or even a teacher that could tell you anything about optimizing automotive electrical systems. It sort of sucks to have those specific questions but not be able to ask a superior about it because they know less than you. That is what the forums are for though.

Refs: Dipitydoo, appollyon, bad95gt, revrider1, jwh1598, ampjunkielikeme, deathpenalty18, ssackett, snoopysnooper, corey0928, SPLAudio, Clifff150, CL1CKCLACK, ShawnT, West + more

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Parallel the bat directly

snoopdan is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

You have to understand the physics of the conduction / electrical path that frame grounding is. The logic is, metal is a crystalline structure that for the most part has been sintered (crystals alligned in the same direction) from either roll forming or cast. That's not always possible of course, depending on how the material was made. Anyhooo, the crystal structure at the welds of materials are now in an amorphous state, there by the crystals are not aligned well or if at all due to the extreme heating and fluidics of weld joints. Less crystal interaction and surface area conduction = more resistance as a conductor.

Yep I just went there. BOOM.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by skylineTT View Post
    Yeah, you will learn a lot about circuitry, electrodynamics, and other stuff, but there is hardly ever a class, or even a teacher that could tell you anything about optimizing automotive electrical systems. It sort of sucks to have those specific questions but not be able to ask a superior about it because they know less than you. That is what the forums are for though.
    pretty much. im not afraid to ask if i dont know. ive just never had experience in such a finicial stress where i had stepped down my system and cut things(like good wire). so im learning new stuff every day i never would have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by snoopdan View Post
    You have to understand the physics of the conduction / electrical path that frame grounding is. The logic is, metal is a crystalline structure that for the most part has been sintered (crystals alligned in the same direction) from either roll forming or cast. That's not always possible of course, depending on how the material was made. Anyhooo, the crystal structure at the welds of materials are now in an amorphous state, there by the crystals are not aligned well or if at all due to the extreme heating and fluidics of weld joints. Less crystal interaction and surface area conduction = more resistance as a conductor.

Yep I just went there. BOOM.
    Atta boy

15. Thanks snoopdan thanked for this post
Closed Thread